Top 5 most important players in the AAC according to Andy Katz | The Boneyard

Top 5 most important players in the AAC according to Andy Katz

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
5.) Alterique Gilbert, 6-0, Jr., UConn: Gilbert has had an injury-riddled career with the Huskies. But he had some moments last season where it was clear that, if he stays healthy, he can be an impact player. He averaged a dozen points for the Huskies in 25 games. But it was games like scoring 16, dishing out eight assists and committing just three turnovers in a win against Syracuse that show his true potential. The Huskies have a shot to be an NCAA tournament team under Dan Hurley. But for that to happen, Gilbert must be a major factor.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well with regard to UConn, he's not wrong. It's a reasonable list. I am sure there will be some surprises.

Reaction Score
I understand how 'Rique is being recognized here because not only is he our best player, if healthy, he also has game changing upside. However, Josh, is more important to this team. Without him, we are in BIG trouble. (pun intended)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why does everyone hate Vital so much? Kromah wasn't close to the offensive player Vital is
Just spit balling here but maybe it is because there is no big post season run we associate with him?

I like the kid myself. He's not a super star but he's a very solid player overall and plays hard for us. Really what's not to like?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Just spit balling here but maybe it is because there is no big post season run we associate with him?

Is that his fault?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Is that his fault?
Nope, but I can't think of another reason why the kid doesn't get more love here. Can you?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Nope, but I can't think of another reason why the kid doesn't get more love here. Can you?

You're right, that's probably it in large part. I just don't think it's a good reason.

Reaction Score
People are too busy lovin’ guys who have never played a college game or guys who exhibit athleticism but no basketball skills. That would be my guess. I like Vital. Makes the most of his abilities.

GoDAWGS

"I Love Whaley"
Reaction Score
Why does everyone hate Vital so much? Kromah wasn't close to the offensive player Vital is
Truth, I love kromah but vital is much more useful

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

We are only going as far as CV takes us. Even if you are not a fan, you at least have to give him Boatright status, right? AG, CV, and Carlton playing at their best only needs rebounding and defense from the rest of the cast.

Reaction Score
We are only going as far as CV takes us. Even if you are not a fan, you at least have to give him Boatright status, right? AG, CV, and Carlton playing at their best only needs rebounding and defense from the rest of the cast.
This post right here is why some fans interpret any criticism of Vital's game as hate.

We have some fans who try and elevate Vital to a level of player he's not, other fans bring things back to reality.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This post right here is why some fans interpret any criticism of Vital's game as hate.

We have some fans who try and elevate Vital to a level of player he's not, other fans bring things back to reality.

I don’t see CV as close to as good as Boatright. He’s a nice, helpful player. Ideally as 3 point shooting, rebounding guard off the bench with decent D. That isn’t hate. It’s reality. I have no idea where that “hate” comment even came from. Nobody had even mentioned Vital.

Gilbert is out best and most valuable player by a lot. We have no other PG other than Gaffney. Carlton is next, as our only center and most efficient scorer. After that, who knows? Maybe Akok. Maybe Sid. Maybe CV. Perhaps Polley makes a huge leap.

Vital has some nice positives and negatives.
+ Catch and shoot 3pt%
+ Rebounding
+ FT% and drawing fouls
+ defensive effort

- ball handling
- passing and offensive movement
- Shooting off his dribble
- decision making
- playing D within the scheme

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

Bringing things back down below reality makes them just as warped.

Reaction Score
I LOVE Vital. He's tough, unlike 60%+ of the guys since BoatShow moved on.

He'll dive on the floor, he'll fight for 50/50 balls. He'll mix it up. He does the little things.

We need more tough kids. That is UConn DNA!

Reaction Score
I like CV. He can be a high impact player with a little more refinement and finishing. He needs to stay under control, take what the court gives him and play to his strengths. Driving the lane is not one of them. I predict an improved CV under Hurley.

Reaction Score

I don’t get it. He was frustrating especially at times his sophomore season but we have had players in recent years that were much much much more frustrating than Vital. I personally love the Sniper and I’m sure Hurley and every other coach he has played for also loves him. Coaches will take a guy like Vital all day even if he has some wth moments.

Reaction Score
CV is way different and better than Kromah. His rebounding is invaluable. He can keep us in games but at the end of games unless he is catching and shooting the last shot I want someone else with the ball in their hands that can create and has a better handle with driving ability.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
From what we have seen, Polley can only wish he has Giff's desire and determination

Reaction Score
'Rique ~ Shabazz Junior Season
Carlton ~ Oriakhi
Bouknight ~ Jeremy Lamb freshman season
Wilson ~ Roscoe Smith
Polley ~ taller Niels Giffey
Jalen ~ freshman JA .75
Vital ~ Kromah

your welcome

Those are high expectations for Bouknight, aren't they? Jeremy Lamb was the second option on a national championship team as a freshman, and then he was a lottery pick after his sophomore year. I like everything about Bouknight, but I think we need to be reasonable.

C

Chief00

Chief is very high on Gaffney. On Akok, I need to see how good a job Sal has done. The potential is there as is the work ethic from what I have seen.

Reaction Score
Chief is very high on Gaffney. On Akok, I need to see how good a job Sal has done. The potential is there as is the work ethic from what I have seen.
You feeling ok pal?? Two first-person references in the same post?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom