Top 3 Things You Want To See Wednesday Against St. John's | The Boneyard

Top 3 Things You Want To See Wednesday Against St. John's

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
1. Better shooting, especially like to see guards other than Paige taking and making some midrange shots. It seems like we are getting open shots, they need to start falling consistently for more than one player.

2. Keep Correa in check. Actually we did well in first half of last game, 0 pts in first quarter, 6 in second. But 27 in second half. Limit her touches, deny defense, don`t switch off much or help off of her. Good test for Nika.

3. Full stat lines from Evina and Nika, and 10+ minutes for Saylor let`s see what she can do. I guess that`s five things.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
1. Great ball movement
2. Tenacious defense
3. Several Saylor bombs

Reaction Score
1) The main thing is for Paige to snap out of her mid-season slump. Only 19 points against Georgetown and prior to that 23 playing against Seton Hall.
2) More Mir Minutes
3) As Huskeyin SC said: Several Saylor bombs. But, they need to drop into the net.

PS: Just kidding about Paige.

Reaction Score
1. Play to our strengths with Paige doing mos of our 3 point shooting but we need Evina, CW, Nika, Liv, AE, and Aubrey to take SOME 3pt shots and make them and build confidence. We will need this for the Dance.
2. Dominate inside with Liv, AE, and Aubrey on the court at the same time with Paige and the guard that is playing the best.
3. Zone press with Aubrey on top and Mir may be as well.

Reaction Score
I'm going to cheat a little and go with three things listed in another thread by Geno. ;)
1) Have a game to play.
2) Play well.
3) Get a win.

2) A jump start on offense with 5-6 passes before the early shots and non-stop movement on the sets
No attack just a difference of BB philosophy. If someone has an open shot I want it taken regardless of how many passes have been made. This with the understanding other players are down the floor to get a rebound. I get the jest but also don't want to see shot clock violations which we have seen this year. That is something UConn usually imposes on the opposition.

Reaction Score
1)A 3-2 zone at times with Liv/Edwards or Mir back. Do this early to break open the game.
2)Give Mir and Saylor up to 10 quality game minutes
3)Three point shooter should look for a rebounder in place prior to shooting and also follow up their own shot at times instead of the perfect Statue of Liberty finish looking for a foul.

Reaction Score
I’d like to see these things for the rest of the regular season schedule.

1. Start AE and keep her on the floor for the majority of the game. This team will be eaten up under the boards in the later rounds if it’s only ONO.

2. Bench Paige. Nothing good happens to a team relying too much on one player. Although the outcome was a happy one, the end of South Carolina game was a bad sign. No one except Paige did a thing with the ball. We need other players to come up big. Let’s see who they are. They will be needed if UCONN wants to get to the NC game. Earlier in the season, the box score showed 4,5, I think one time 6 players in double figures. Since Paige has become so dominate, that stat has suffered. The top teams will be able to limit her points. Other players must produce. That has become less and less with Paige playing 40 minutes.

3. 4 out of the next 5 games are against teams who couldn’t beat Beat UCONN if they were spotted 30 points. This years roster is unique for this team. There are no players on the team who are clearly scrubs you put in for the last two minutes when you’re up by big numbers. This is a very talented bench. Let’s find out who can give them some productive minutes in the tourney.

With helmet on, I await the incoming.

Reaction Score
I'm going to cheat a little and go with three things listed in another thread by Geno. ;)
1) Have a game to play.
2) Play well.
3) Get a win.

No attack just a difference of BB philosophy. If someone has an open shot I want it taken regardless of how many passes have been made. This with the understanding other players are down the floor to get a rebound. I get the jest but also don't want to see shot clock violations which we have seen this year. That is something UConn usually imposes on the opposition.
Actually we do differ but in only one respect. In my mind, the best way to ensure people are in offensive rebounding position is with multiple touches on offense and getting everyone involved at least that way early in the offense. It takes a matter of seconds to have multiple passes. if we start with hoisting 3s early whenever we are open in the offense, unless they are coming from Paige, we are talking low percentage shots and a slow start. We had a problem with that against a 1-9 team. If the ball gets worked around with good movement, the shots will be better. Liv from 4 feet or even 14 feet is a lot better than Liv from 20 feet. If we play to our strengths on offense by shooting shots each player is better at, the ball will go in at greater frequency and we won't be playing even with a Georgetown in the early portions of the game. We should be putting a team like that away right away but you can't when you don't score because you are just plain missing.

Reaction Score
1. Triple double from Evina and/or paige
2. Some quality minutes for Mir
3. Nika takes at least 5 shots and hits at least 4 of them.

Reaction Score
We had a problem with that against a 1-9 team. If the ball gets worked around with good movement, the shots will be better.
It is a new game other teams are getting better. We had 16 turnovers in the game you mention and most were errant passes. Again no attack but simply no reason to have a pass count.
We should be putting a team like that away right away but you can't when you don't score because you are just plain missing.
Ahh there you go answering your own query. Not sure if you ever played at any level and it does not matter but I am sure many would agree.... There are games when the hoop is like the ocean and then those it is a shot glass!
Again no attack just saying from experience....

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
1. Christyn to attack the basket (without fouling) and play hard every minute.

2. Paige to score 7+ points per quarter and grab 5+ steals.

3. Aubrey to dominate the game.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
1. Start AE
2. Shoot when open
3. Everyone scores

Reaction Score
1. Win the 1st quarter
2. Freshman score 40 +
3. Bench players play the last 5 minutes of the 4th quarter
3(b) CW takes less than 19 shots

Reaction Score
1) I'd like to see Saylor get 15-20 minutes, to see if she can help us in March, I think she's got the goods, like Nika
2) I'd like to see Aubrey and Mir on top of a 2-2-1 zone press
3) I'd like to see Autumn & Piath get 5 minutes each

Reaction Score
It is a new game other teams are getting better. We had 16 turnovers in the game you mention and most were errant passes. Again no attack but simply no reason to have a pass count.

Ahh there you go answering your own query. Not sure if you ever played at any level and it does not matter but I am sure many would agree.... There are games when the hoop is like the ocean and then those it is a shot glass!
Again no attack just saying from experience....
Are you serious? To answer you directly, I played 4 years in college after playing on a top 10 high school team and I coached girls from 4th grade on and into high school AAU. We didn't just start slow against Georgetown. It's a habit for us and it comes from quick early missed shots with lack of movement and lack of passing on offense. I am not suggesting that we have a specific "Hoosiers" type pass count but rather that several passes with movement will result in better shots, multiple touches by the entire team and more discipline on offense which we will need in the Big Dance. BTW, there are at least 2-3 passes anyway in the preliminary motion of the offense. A few more would not hurt. To suggest that we limit the passing because it causes our own turnovers speaks volumes about our ball handling ability. I don't agree. This team has at least 3 excellent passers in Paige, E and Nika. I trust you will see much less on Wednesday after a two day rest and fewer lazy passes or forced passes, the latter of which often come from lack of movement.

Reaction Score
1) Have a game to play.
2) Play well.
3) Get a win.

Take the first open shot == opponent making our shot selections. No??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom