Top 3 Things You Want To See Tomorrow Against Minnesota | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Top 3 Things You Want To See Tomorrow Against Minnesota

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Liv and AE get through the first half with 2 or less fouls.

Nika hit the court with harassing defense and 11 points.

Azzi score 15 or more.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
I'd like to see better defensive organization. For me that means guards funneling drivers into places where the next level defense is rotating to the right spot to cut them off or defend the rim where it is best for the post not the driver.

I watched Vandy last night and I fear our defense went with Shea... Vandy is young but they had a defensive vision. We need Morgan to get it together and prove me wrong.

I'd like an opposing total under 55 each game....
Ah, finally . . . Someone who recognizes that genuine defense= team defense. Many of the criticisms of UConn's defense vs Arkansas focused on individual defensive skills (quick feet and hands, balance, cutting off penetration, keeping in front of dribblers) as though good man-to-man D involved 5 one-on-one battles. Fact is, a quick, able offensive ball-handler will often defeat the defender in those one-on-one confrontations. Team defense means making the dribbler beat at least two defenders, and preferably three. That requires all five defenders to— whenever possible— guard their own opponent and see and sag toward the ball handler in a help position. Which requires at least a third defender to rotate to cover/assist the "helper." It's a constant battle to discover the best assist/help position and the timing for such rotations. And it takes constant monitoring and adjusting from all five defenders.
While I'm on the team defense topic, we gave up something like 15 offensive rebounds to Arkansas— 15! That is unacceptable. To avoid repeats, we will need to have all five defenders, no matter where they are positioned when the other team puts up a shot, to box out. It is an almost universal failing in all levels and genders of basketball for defenders to watch the ball and drift toward the basket; I saw that multple times in the Arkansas game, even during foul shots. The idea is to seal the offensive players away from the basket, be low and strong and in contact with that opponent. The further away the opponent is from the basket, the fewer rebounds she will claim, no matter her height advantage.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Though I'm a fan of the whole team, I'm partial to my local DMV players. Now that Saylor is gone, I'm adopting Nika. So, that said, I want to see ...

1. Azzi catch fire. I saw her at SJC several times, and she's the real deal. I hope she splashes several threes.

2. Mir come in and make an impact. Play defense, grab some rebounds, and hit some mid-range jumpers.

3. Nika rip the ball away from the Gophers, lead the break, and tally several assists, while making a few shots.

4. Bonus--Paige to show she's the best player in college, as Jalen Rose said.

Reaction Score
Curious to see who they match up defensively against Sissiko from Minnesota. Watched her in a couple of their games and she's sneaky fast (or at least she is to me).

Now mind you, I noticed during their game against American, but she was creative with her fakes when driving to the basket.

Reaction Score
Will all our players be available for this tournament? (meaning any players who have been ruled out due to continued or new injuries). IE: Aubrey Griffin ?

Reaction Score
1-- Azzi Fudd play great.
2-- Dorka play great
3-- Evina play great
4-- Edwards play great
5-- Nika play great

Reaction Score
1. Williams to play both ends as well as the Arkansas game
2. Azzi to play the game she knows
3. Caroline to hit 2 three and play her great defense
4. The whole team scoring, offense wins games--defense helps you come back
5. If needed the starting five will play all 40--winning is all that matters.

Reaction Score
1. I don't know if she has been declared out but I'd like to see Griffin play a couple of minutes to test her ankle. It would tell me that she is close to recovered.

2. Another thing I want is for the starters to play 20-25 minutes. Three games in 3 days always has an effect on legs and it's outside shooting that suffers in the third game. So keep your shooters fresh.

3. Play the freshmen, even if it means some zone defense. Deberry and Gabriel would be OK at the back of a 3-2 zone. Give Ducharme 20 mins+ in the 1st 2 games. If healthy let McClean create some havoc.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
At least 75% from the “charity stripe” (haven’t heard or used that expression in a while)

No more than 12 fouls and no one in foul trouble, and no more than two traveling violations

Defense keeping players in front of them and also getting weak side help, allow virtually no dribble penetration

In other words, take care of some of the worst aspects of the Arkansas game.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
1) no injuries
2) relentless defense with efficient switching
3) minutes for Piath and Amari

Reaction Score
My first and foremost desire is to see UConn play at noon on Monday. (then of course winning that game). Second I'd like to hear Geno say that he was much more pleased with the teams defensive effort during this tournament. And 3rd, To see everyone play and no one to get injured. All the rest of the desires are way less important to me.

Reaction Score
1) Better defense and fewer fouls.,
2) Better production from players not named Paige, Christyn, and Evina.
3) Players making their free throws.
The posts making things happen, underneath AND from the foul line. A more agressive Evina, no injuries, and, wait for it, World Peace.

Reaction Score
On the pregame radio show Geno said

1) win the tournament
2) Better defense
3) Better rebounding

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members