Top 3 Picks in 2019 WNBA Draft? | The Boneyard

Top 3 Picks in 2019 WNBA Draft?

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
While there's still some season left, it seems clear as of now that Indiana, NY, and Chicago will finish in the bottom 3 of the league. Assuming they also get the top 3 picks, which WCBB seniors best fit each team's needs? And for the sake of argument, if the drafts goes 1. Indiana, 2. NY, 3. Chicago--who does each team picks? (I know there's a whole college basketball season to be played, but I think we know the top prospects)

Reaction Score
Indiana needs a Center. So I say Brown, she's more polished than McCowan. I see the Liberty taking KLS. They could use a big to help Tina, but I wouldn't take McCowan over KLS.
Chicago needs a 4. I'm not sure who they will take.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
While there's still some season left, it seems clear as of now that Indiana, NY, and Chicago will finish in the bottom 3 of the league. Assuming they also get the top 3 picks, which WCBB seniors best fit each team's needs? And for the sake of argument, if the drafts goes 1. Indiana, 2. NY, 3. Chicago--who does each team picks? (I know there's a whole college basketball season to be played, but I think we know the top prospects)

Obviously a LOT depends on how next season pans out, but based on that my guess is:
1. Indiana-McCowan. She'll give them a huge post presence who can compete with the likes of Griner/Cambage/Fowles. Has a long way to go in terms of offensive ability, and she likely will never be at the level of those 3, but she's a unique prospect with her size and rebounding. She also made incredible improvements from her sophomore to junior year and is playing under one of the best coaches in the country, so she likely makes further strides this year.

2. NY-KLS. Kind of a toss up for me between her and Brown because they really need upgrades at center and on the wing, but I think KLS is more of a sure fire success even if Brown has a higher ceiling. KLS gives them a big time scorer on the wing and a dangerous shooter with size and passing ability.

3. Chicago-Brown. If NY goes with Brown at 2, I'm really not sure who'd they take at 3....they don't have a need for KLS with Diamond/Gabby at SF, and I think they'd opt for Ogunbowale at SG over KLS, so maybe Arike at 3. If Collier has a huge senior year, she could be an option here too. At any rate, Brown is the best player available at 3 and gives them a big body inside who is polished offensively and can make an impact right away. She does well in the high-low with Cox, so that could be recreated with Dolson.

Reaction Score
Doesn't the W use the combined record of the last two years two determine how many "ping-pong balls" each team gets? Anyway, I was thinking about this.

Since Sabrina Ionescu turns 21 in December, she will be eligible for the 2019 draft. I'm not saying she will enter, but she changes things if she does.

1. Indiana needs talent everywhere, so they would pick Ionescu, no matter what, IMO. If she doesn't come out, they take either Brown or McCowan, because teams either needs to be able to shoot the 3 from every position and have versatile posts(LA/Seattle) or they need a bulldozer in the paint to battle with Cambage, Griner, and Fowles.

2. Chicago has a fairly good roster, IMO, but not a good coach. If I were Chicago and Ionescu comes out, I trade Sloot for a versatile 4 and go from there. If Onescue doesn't come out, Take Brown/McCowan .

3. NY-Tina has never played with a good 5. Yes, she was a 5 in college, but she isn't one in the pros. This is the tricky one. You have a superstar....but you need a 5 and an elite PG. I would go with Ionescu and a new coach.

4. LV-Aces need a 3. They aren't getting the #1 pick, but at #4 I would take Lou here.

Thoughts?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
  1. Kalani Brown
  2. KLS
  3. Arike Ogunbowale
  4. Asia Durr
  5. Napheesa Collier
  6. Breanna Turner
  7. Tiera McCowan
  8. Jessica Shepard
  9. Kristine Anigwe
  10. Sophie Cunningham
  11. Megan Gustafson
  12. Kitija Laska
  13. Caliya Robinson
  14. Hallie Thome

Last edited:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Doesn't the W use the combined record of the last two years two determine how many "ping-pong balls" each team gets? Anyway, I was thinking about this.

Since Sabrina Ionescu turns 21 in December, she will be eligible for the 2019 draft. I'm not saying she will enter, but she changes things if she does.

1. Indiana needs talent everywhere, so they would pick Ionescu, no matter what, IMO. If she doesn't come out, they take either Brown or McCowan, because teams either needs to be able to shoot the 3 from every position and have versatile posts(LA/Seattle) or they need a bulldozer in the paint to battle with Cambage, Griner, and Fowles.

2. Chicago has a fairly good roster, IMO, but not a good coach. If I were Chicago and Ionescu comes out, I trade Sloot for a versatile 4 and go from there. If Onescue doesn't come out, Take Brown/McCowan .

3. NY-Tina has never played with a good 5. Yes, she was a 5 in college, but she isn't one in the pros. This is the tricky one. You have a superstar....but you need a 5 and an elite PG. I would go with Ionescu and a new coach.

4. LV-Aces need a 3. They aren't getting the #1 pick, but at #4 I would take Lou here.

Thoughts?

If Ionescu is eligible and declares early, she should go #1 unless McCowan's offensive game is drastically improved. She'd be a huge upgrade for Indiana and NY. Chicago is pretty set with Vandersloot/Quigley, but Sabrina has the makings of being a star so I'd have a hard time passing her up.

Vegas at 4 should absolutely take KLS is she's still on the table. Perfect fit to compliment McBride on the wing and help create space for Wilson inside.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I would think Turner would be a good pick.

Super risky pick considering how injury prone she is. Great athlete, good shot blocker and defensive player, a bit raw offensively but upside is there is she can stay healthy. I don't see anyone taking her in the top 5. I think if she improves and stays healthy she could be a Rebecca Brunson type of player.

I would've taken Turner over Wilson after their freshman seasons....Turner had all the makings of being a star. In hindsight, I don't think she would've developed into the caliber of player that Wilson turned into even if Bri was healthy, but it's a shame that her career has been so riddled with injuries.

Side note, I don't think this has been mentioned anywhere, but I believe ND likely wins the title in 2017 too had Turner stayed healthy. They likely beat Stanford, then play South Carolina, and lastly face Mississippi State.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Yes, here are the current ping-pong ball standings:

upload_2018-7-25_9-48-27.png

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Thoughts?

View attachment 33187

Well, not sure how the ping-pong balls will shake out, would still like to see how players develop over the course of the 2018-19 season and there is the Ionescu question. (I could see here leaving for a variety of reasons ranging from Oregon making the final four to being frustrated that they haven't.).

Let's start with the assumption that she stays in college:

1. Indiana. Most certainly a post to do banging. As an Irish aficionado, I think Natalie Achonwa is having her best season, but she's more of a power forward in this league and has trouble with the very big bigs (Fowles, Griner). Who has the most upside and self-motivation of that group? McCowan? Brown? Brown is seemingly ahead at this point, but I like how McCowan has pushed herself and been coached up by Vic/Vic's staff.

2. Las Vegas or New York. KLS. NYC has more combo guards than it knows what to do with and can use a bona fide tall stroker to open things up and force Katie Smith to keep (just) two or three true off-guards. The Aces could use a three to open things up. Incidentally, I've been thinking a lot that Trader Bill could also dangle one of his point guards to help with the center situation (draft positioning or pick up to complement Ms. Wilson).

3. Chicago. I defer to our Chicago-season ticket holder, the simian, for inside knowledge. Perhaps another guard to help Sloot and Quigs?

Other observations: I like both Gustafson and Thome. While both might not be All-Stars, they'll help teams with hard work at the technical aspects of their craft and desire.

Players to watch during the season to get a better handle on: Turner (to see how she comes back); Shepard (to see how she does in her hybrid role); Durr (just to see how she develops); Brown (continued development. Leadership).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Ionescu is eligible and declares early, she should go #1 unless McCowan's offensive game is drastically improved. She'd be a huge upgrade for Indiana and NY. Chicago is pretty set with Vandersloot/Quigley, but Sabrina has the makings of being a star so I'd have a hard time passing her up.

Vegas at 4 should absolutely take KLS is she's still on the table. Perfect fit to compliment McBride on the wing and help create space for Wilson inside.

I think the first 3 will deff be top 3, but not sure of order as we do not know who will be first 3. Usually best available player, but some of these teams have specific needs. I think Kalani will go before McCowan, but KLS is also a great option for someone who doesn't need a Center as much. Durr is also a great player who I think would go close to those 3.

I think Brown over McCowan for the following reasons.
More polished over all offensively. At 6'7 making a shot under basket is pretty easy. Kalani has a mid range and is currently working on extending it.
Kalani averaged 20 ppg and 10 rpg even with having the No.1 recruit who could also play center right beside her. So she will know how to play well with another dominant post. WNBA center's need a long range jumper. She has improved greatly every season. So has McCowan. I think whoever has the best will go no.1 between these two. I just think Kalani is more WNBA ready in terms of overall skills.

Brown
KLS
McCowan

Durr

Reaction Score
Super risky pick considering how injury prone she is. Great athlete, good shot blocker and defensive player, a bit raw offensively but upside is there is she can stay healthy. I don't see anyone taking her in the top 5. I think if she improves and stays healthy she could be a Rebecca Brunson type of player.

I would've taken Turner over Wilson after their freshman seasons....Turner had all the makings of being a star. In hindsight, I don't think she would've developed into the caliber of player that Wilson turned into even if Bri was healthy, but it's a shame that her career has been so riddled with injuries.

Side note, I don't think this has been mentioned anywhere, but I believe ND likely wins the title in 2017 too had Turner stayed healthy. They likely beat Stanford, then play South Carolina, and lastly face Mississippi State.
I thought they were shaping up to be a really good team before she got injured. Boley and Young were really starting to play well off the bench.

I think Turner would be a great pick outside of the top 5, like you stated. Her injuries are scary, but her potential is high. If she can stay healthy, I think she's gonna have a big season this year. In her junior campaign she was showing off a fade away post shot that most players couldn't reach. I always felt like a kid range shot would help her game (she may have been working on one) , but her ability to elevate quickly in the post helps her. I hope she can stay healthy. She's a great person and player

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I thought they were shaping up to be a really good team before she got injured. Boley and Young were really starting to play well off the bench.

I think Turner would be a great pick outside of the top 5, like you stated. Her injuries are scary, but her potential is high. If she can stay healthy, I think she's gonna have a big season this year. In her junior campaign she was showing off a fade away post shot that most players couldn't reach. I always felt like a kid range shot would help her game (she may have been working on one) , but her ability to elevate quickly in the post helps her. I hope she can stay healthy. She's a great person and player

Turner is a fine person from all accounts, solid teammate and works very hard. (Plus she has an outstanding sense of humor, which has got to come in handy on road trips). I'll be following her really closely (since I'll watch every game!) to see how she's come back and hopefully developed. She'll benefit a lot from playing with Jess Shepard; in part because Shep draws a lot of attention herself; and, they're close friends. She'll also have Mik Vaughn coming back to spell her and allow her to build up game stamina.

You bring up one of Turner's greatest attributes: her quick hops and ability to run the floor. I can see her being a very good complement in the pro league to a big center. She's got to continually develop her mid-range shots to do so, but she does so many other things well that it's worth having some patience.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I think the first 3 will deff be top 3, but not sure of order as we do not know who will be first 3. Usually best available player, but some of these teams have specific needs. I think Kalani will go before McCowan, but KLS is also a great option for someone who doesn't need a Center as much. Durr is also a great player who I think would go close to those 3.

More polished over all offensively. At 6'7 making a shot under basket is pretty easy. Kalani has a mid range and is currently working on extending it.
Kalani averaged 20 ppg and 10 rpg even with having the No.1 recruit who could also play center right beside her. So she will know how to play well with another dominant post. WNBA center's need a long range jumper. She has improved greatly every season. So has McCowan. I think whoever has the best will go no.1 between these two. I just think Kalani is more WNBA ready in terms of overall skills.

Brown
KLS
McCowan

Durr

She's more ready than McCowan in terms of offensive skill, but McCowan is a better defender and rebounder at this point. The main reason I'd take Tiera at 1 is that she is so big and strong and has incredible hands. She is just scratching the surface of her potential. Once she hits the pros, she's still going to be bigger and stronger than everyone besides Griner, Cambage and Fowles. A midrange shot can be developed with time, although I don't think it's necessary for McCowan right now. Brown isn't as physical as Tiera, although she does have a great frame and a more developed offensive skill set that should transfer over to the pros.

If Indiana gets McCowan, she'll be good for 10+ rebounds per game right off the bat. I don't think you get the same result with Brown.

McCowan's red flag is her offense, which right now consists of finishing putbacks and burying opposing posts inside to get good position and hit layups. She also has improved immensely offensively from a year ago and is just scratching the surface of her potential, os that isn't as big of a concern to me unless it appears she regresses next year without the 4 seniors on the court with her. The other potential red flag is attitude, in that she was pretty rude during an interview after the title game (understandable that she'd be upset, especially after missing the layup late that would've put Mississippi State up by 2) and she's not afraid to get chippy out there, but that's minor to me considering most of the greats are known for being a little chippy out there or getting T'd (Leslie, Jackson, Taurasi, Cambage, etc.)

Brown, to me, has bigger red flags. Kalani Brown faced very few quality bigs last year (Thome, Billings and Gulich) and was badly outplayed against the best opposing big she faced last year (Gulich). The other red flag is that she regularly looks winded running up and down the court in games. WNBA games are faster paced and Brown is going to need to be much better conditioned if she wants to log solid minutes as a pro, otherwise she'll be a liability out there.

Right now I think both will be 1-2 in the draft, but a few players could surpass them with big seasons.

Reaction Score
Turner is a fine person from all accounts, solid teammate and works very hard. (Plus she has an outstanding sense of humor, which has got to come in handy on road trips). I'll be following her really closely (since I'll watch every game!) to see how she's come back and hopefully developed. She'll benefit a lot from playing with Jess Shepard; in part because Shep draws a lot of attention herself; and, they're close friends. She'll also have Mik Vaughn coming back to spell her and allow her to build up game stamina.

You bring up one of Turner's greatest attributes: her quick hops and ability to run the floor. I can see her being a very good complement in the pro league to a big center. She's got to continually develop her mid-range shots to do so, but she does so many other things well that it's worth having some patience.
Would love to see Turner on Seattle with Stewie, going from playing against each other, I believe they would be a dominant force in the WNBA for years.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score

Brown
KLS
McCowan

Durr
She's more ready than McCowan in terms of offensive skill, but McCowan is a better defender and rebounder at this point. The main reason I'd take Tiera at 1 is that she is so big and strong and has incredible hands. She is just scratching the surface of her potential. Once she hits the pros, she's still going to be bigger and stronger than everyone besides Griner, Cambage and Fowles. A midrange shot can be developed with time, although I don't think it's necessary for McCowan right now. Brown isn't as physical as Tiera, although she does have a great frame and a more developed offensive skill set that should transfer over to the pros.

If Indiana gets McCowan, she'll be good for 10+ rebounds per game right off the bat. I don't think you get the same result with Brown.

McCowan's red flag is her offense, which right now consists of finishing putbacks and burying opposing posts inside to get good position and hit layups. She also has improved immensely offensively from a year ago and is just scratching the surface of her potential, os that isn't as big of a concern to me unless it appears she regresses next year without the 4 seniors on the court with her. The other potential red flag is attitude, in that she was pretty rude during an interview after the title game (understandable that she'd be upset, especially after missing the layup late that would've put Mississippi State up by 2) and she's not afraid to get chippy out there, but that's minor to me considering most of the greats are known for being a little chippy out there or getting T'd (Leslie, Jackson, Taurasi, Cambage, etc.)

Brown, to me, has bigger red flags. Kalani Brown faced very few quality bigs last year (Thome, Billings and Gulich) and was badly outplayed against the best opposing big she faced last year (Gulich). The other red flag is that she regularly looks winded running up and down the court in games. WNBA games are faster paced and Brown is going to need to be much better conditioned if she wants to log solid minutes as a pro, otherwise she'll be a liability out there.

Right now I think both will be 1-2 in the draft, but a few players could surpass them with big seasons.

Great, thorough analysis. The good thing for on both Brown and McCowan is that their weaknesses seem fairly correctable with more focus (endurance), experience, and solid coaching (see: McCowan and post moves, mid range jumper).

Reaction Score

I just disagree. Defense can be improved upon a lot quicker and easier than offense. Kalani can score better and is a better passer. The WNBA teams in the bottom want and need offense. Take indiana for example their best ppg avg is 13. They need a dominat scorer. Also, Kalani only averaged a couple less rebounds than McCowan per game. You also have to take into account that Kalani has a a PF that was averaging just under 10 rpg. Which McCowan didn't have another dominant post on her team to share with.

I also take the head to head game into account. Brown shut down McCowan in that game, yet McCowan is the better defender?

I do think both a very close overall. This year will decide who goes before who and will also be picked dictated on need of team. I just think Kalani would be better in overall stats if she wasn't sharing the paint with another Top 5 potential draft pick that is only a year behind her. However, I think both will be great matchups and a large portion of the teams in the WNBA will have a player over 6'6.

Reaction Score
in today's WNBA a big must have the ability to shoot the mid range stretching to the 3 point line. While Turner is a great athlete, she needs to prove she can shoot from distance to elevate her status.
Between Brown and McCowan i'll take Brown as she knows how to work with another big and got a mid range shot while McCowan does not.

Reaction Score
Great, thorough analysis. The good thing for on both Brown and McCowan is that their weaknesses seem fairly correctable with more focus (endurance), experience, and solid coaching (see: McCowan and post moves, mid range jumper).

I totally agree! Both are very similar and have so much talent and potential. Can't go wrong with either. I expect to see them to both be a lot better this year! Both have made huge strides each season.

Reaction Score

View attachment 33187

If these are the teams everybody thinks will be in the lottery, then that means the Liberty would have about a 10% chance at #1, about 15% chance at #2, 0% chance at #3, and 75% at #4. That’s the way it is when you’re the #4 seed in the lottery.

The Aces are playing well now and they really want to get into the playoffs. I think they’ll do better than Chicago down the stretch, breaking that tie for #2 in Chicago’s favor.

So given these teams and above assumption, the greatest probability will be that the 2019 draft will go as follows.

1. IND
2. CHI
3. LVA
4. NYL

My picks at this moment
1. McCowan (Pokey misses Big Syl)
2. KLS (This is a tough one. If they take a center they would probably have to deal what they already have)
3. Brown (Trade with Pokey?)
4. Durr (Not the greatest need but will probably be hard to pass up)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Obviously a LOT depends on how next season pans out, but based on that my guess is:
1. Indiana-McCowan. She'll give them a huge post presence who can compete with the likes of Griner/Cambage/Fowles. Has a long way to go in terms of offensive ability, and she likely will never be at the level of those 3, but she's a unique prospect with her size and rebounding. She also made incredible improvements from her sophomore to junior year and is playing under one of the best coaches in the country, so she likely makes further strides this year.

2. NY-KLS. Kind of a toss up for me between her and Brown because they really need upgrades at center and on the wing, but I think KLS is more of a sure fire success even if Brown has a higher ceiling. KLS gives them a big time scorer on the wing and a dangerous shooter with size and passing ability.

3. Chicago-Brown. If NY goes with Brown at 2, I'm really not sure who'd they take at 3....they don't have a need for KLS with Diamond/Gabby at SF, and I think they'd opt for Ogunbowale at SG over KLS, so maybe Arike at 3. If Collier has a huge senior year, she could be an option here too. At any rate, Brown is the best player available at 3 and gives them a big body inside who is polished offensively and can make an impact right away. She does well in the high-low with Cox, so that could be recreated with Dolson.
You ever notice that every time you big up McCowan there is always a caveat like " Long way to go" or "upside" or "scratching the surface'. Some WNBA GM is going to agree with you and take her very high like they did Coates. In college McCowan was that girl that was substantially bigger than the other players and collected a lot of rebounds and scored on putbacks. In the WNBA that is not going to work. She has no mid range to speak of, no drop step or back to the basket move, and BTW she is averaging less than 1/2 an assist per game for her career. You can't just park her under the basket in the WNBA and hope that the ball finds its way into her hands.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I would think Turner would be a good pick.
If she's able to play a full college season. Remember, the pro season is far more taxing on an athletes body. If she can't play a college season she's an iffy 2nd rounder. If she has a very good year she could sneak into the 1st. Maybe.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You ever notice that every time you big up McCowan there is always a caveat like " Long way to go" or "upside" or "scratching the surface'. Some WNBA GM is going to agree with you and take her very high like they did Coates. In college McCowan was that girl that was substantially bigger than the other players and collected a lot of rebounds and scored on putbacks. In the WNBA that is not going to work. She has no mid range to speak of, no drop step or back to the basket move, and BTW she is averaging less than 1/2 an assist per game for her career. You can't just park her under the basket in the WNBA and hope that the ball finds its way into her hands.
Yep. And the pro game waits for no one to cross the half court. She'll need a better motor too.

Reaction Score

Couldn't agree more. WNBA is wayyy more of an offensive game than defensive. I mean look how long it took a defensive specialist "Alana Beard" If you can score you will play. Indiana needs a dominant center that could average double digit numbers along with assits when the double team comes. It will take McCowan a couple seasons to develop a consistent mid range shot and moves. Where ass Brown just needs to now progress to the 3. Indiana needs a big body that can score. The under the basket shots will be very tough when facing experienced bigger opponents like Griner or Cambage. It will a lot of the big has a mid range or 3.

However, it would be cool if Indiana did get McCowan because then she is back playing Vivians.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom