Top 20 Coaches ESPN | The Boneyard

Top 20 Coaches ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Okay assuming this is the 20, Rank them by who you would select as your coach today keeping in mind longevity of years remaining assuming they retire at your program:

Thad Matta 20
Jay Wright 19
Steve Fisher 18
Mark Few 17
Roy Williams 16
Fred Hoiberg 15
Tony Bennet 14
Shaka Smart 13
Jim Boeheim 12
Sean Miller 11

Ollie
K
Pitino
Izzo
Donovan
Bill Self
John Belein
Bo Ryan
Greg Marshall
Calipari

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I believe crean missed the list . Only name I can think of you missed is Shaka Smart. Perhaps tony Bennett

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I missed Calipari. Shaka is a definite.

Reaction Score
Going forward, for the duration of their careers? No question that it's KO. I like Hoiberg a lot, too, as far as young guys go. Even a Duke fan would probably tell you he'd trade Coach K for KO going forward.

Reaction Score
Ok, it's a slow day so here goes. Obviously the longevity aspect is crucial to the rankings:

1. Ollie
2. Donovan (On track to be one of the greats and still relatively young)
3. Fred Hoiberg (Ollie-lite, which is still pretty darn good)
4. Bill Self (Amazing regular season dominance, slightly disappointing in the late rounds of the tourney so far)
5. Sean Miller (Hitting his recruiting stride, can he overcome his Pitt roots and make a final 4?)
6. Shaka Smart (Has his own style, which is a plus, and is getting recruits - now we'll have to see if the style lends itself to consistent tourney runs)
7. Pitino (getting up there but has shown he can implement his style and win quickly)
8. Gregg Marshall (impressive program builder, in the context of this list the loss to Ky makes me nervous and keeps me from putting him higher)
9. Thad Matta (strikes me as a very good coach, but not a great coach)
10. Tony Bennett (great job this year and at Wash State but should have done more in weak ACC before this, plus not sure the style lends itself to consistent top success)
11. John Beilein (getting up there but has proven he can implement style and win quickly, plus his teams are always entertaining)
12. Izzo (getting up there but could probably give a good decade of results)
13. Roy Williams (seems to have answered recruiting concerns with what they've got coming in, I was impressed how he adapted to his team this year)
14. Mark Few (has certainly proven he can keep a program at a certain level, can he get above that level? Probably not)
15. K (he's 67, he's only won the ACC twice in the last 10 years, he's been upset in the 1st round 2 of the last 3 years)
16. Boeheim (70 with unique style, no thanks)
17. Steve Fisher (older than dirt)
18. Bo Ryan (old with unique style that usually bores me to tears, no thanks)
19. Jay Wright (seriously? he's a handsome man, I'll give him that)
20. Calipari (I despise him - sue me)

Reaction Score
I know some may differ for personal reasons, but Cooley is getting better and should be considered, if years remaining is a criteria.

Reaction Score
Top 7 should be these in some order; Ollie, Izzo, Pitino, Self, Calipari , Donovan, and K. Creme de la creme . Next tier consists of Miller, Hoiberg, Roy Williams, Larry Brown, Beilein...

Reaction Score
I know some may differ for personal reasons, but Cooley is getting better and should be considered, if years remaining is a criteria.
At this point in Cooley's career, he is ranked about where he should be.
Excluding Pitino & Barnes, because they weren't at PC very long, Cooley ranks # 3 behind Gavitt & Mullaney as PC coaches.

Reaction Score
Ok, it's a slow day so here goes. Obviously the longevity aspect is crucial to the rankings:

1. Ollie
4. Bill Self (Amazing regular season dominance, slightly disappointing in the late rounds of the tourney so far)
5. Sean Miller (Hitting his recruiting stride, can he overcome his Pitt roots and make a final 4?)
6. Shaka Smart (Has his own style, which is a plus, and is getting recruits - now we'll have to see if the style lends itself to consistent tourney runs)
7. Pitino (getting up there but has shown he can implement his style and win quickly)
8. Gregg Marshall (impressive program builder, in the context of this list the loss to Ky makes me nervous and keeps me from putting him higher)
10. Tony Bennett (great job this year and at Wash State but should have done more in weak ACC before this, plus not sure the style lends itself to consistent top success)
11. John Beilein (getting up there but has proven he can implement style and win quickly, plus his teams are always entertaining)
13. Roy Williams (seems to have answered recruiting concerns with what they've got coming in, I was impressed how he adapted to his team this year)
14. Mark Few (has certainly proven he can keep a program at a certain level, can he get above that level? Probably not)
15. K (he's 67, he's only won the ACC twice in the last 10 years, he's been upset in the 1st round 2 of the last 3 years)
Great list and nice effort, must be a really slow day for you. I wouldn't change your list at all except to really break the group into top 10, all good, and bottom 10, past their prime or some other diminishing factor. And to make the squid his own ba$trdized category.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
1. KO - Calhoun's pick
1. Izzo - closest thing to Calhoun still coaching . JMHO

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score

1. Ollie

This is close to what I was coming up with, moving Roy downnear the bottom with Cal and Boeheim. You've got to move the old guys way down. I had the same first 3. Good job (= I pretty much agree).

Reaction Score
I like the Davidson Coach McKillop ( probably misspelled). They seem to be relevant every year.

Reaction Score
I love KO, but I think #1 is a bit premature. I also think he's going to want to try his hand at the NBA someday, but the longer he is away, the less attraction there might be.

Reaction Score
Larry Brown? Old sure but he single-handedly is making SMU relevant
Very good coach, but you can't really depend on the guy to stay anywhere for more than five years. That alone makes it hard to include him.

pj

Reaction Score
I love KO, but I think #1 is a bit premature. I also think he's going to want to try his hand at the NBA someday, but the longer he is away, the less attraction there might be.

If the question is, who would I hire to coach UConn, assuming all of those guys wanted the job, why wouldn't KO be #1? He is a UConn guy.

Now if the question is, who would I hire to coach Michigan State, maybe it would be Izzo. Who would I hire to coach AAU basketball in Bismarck, North Dakota - Calipari for sure.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
would anyone be surprised if they left Ollie out of the top 50?

after all, they can say "he's only been coaching for two years and he won it with Calhoun's team"

I think those bozos are capable of anything

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Wouldn't exchange KO for anyone. He beat ( and out coached) 5 coaches on that OP's list during our championship run!

and I think the sixth was in the Top 26-50 list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky