Top 100 Schools Need To Break From NCAA (CBS) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Top 100 Schools Need To Break From NCAA (CBS)

Reaction Score
Now the terp says don’t breakaway for more money.

Which breakaway are you referring to? The P5/G5 split? I was opposed to that as well. At least it still leaves the Division I teams together so they can (other than football) still compete for championships in all other sports, including basketball. And I don’t think the income disparity would be much worse now than if the split did not happen,

Are you referring to Maryland’s “breakaway” from the ACC? I don’t want to rehash all the arguments, except to say at the time they decided to move on, there were many changes in the conference (good and bad), and it was time to move on. And the rest of the ACC seemed more than happy to see Maryland go. That Maryland may end up with more money now was not high on my list of reasons to leave. In any case, I think the ACC made an absolutely horrendous and short-sighted choice for their replacement.

I understand why UConn fans might support this, because they would be part of the breakaway group. IMO, I think it would be better with UConn in the P5 with the current structure. Unfortunately, no one can say for certain this will happen and when.

I do think the proposed breakaway will result in more money for those in the group short term. But, in the long term, as this move makes what was great about college athletics diminish, all would suffer from such a move.

Reaction Score
Honestly...what may work (well, the convenient fictional narrative may be supported, anyway) for basketball....does not work as well for football.

The fiction of basketball is that all 351 teams really have a shot at the national championship.

And, the narrative that they do, is sort of correct.....the same as I would also have a shot at winning the rifle national championship....while shooting blindfolded.

I could have a miraculous shot...it isn't out of the question. But the odds are the same as a monkey playing with a typewriter, accidentaly pounding out Ode to a Greek Urn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69
Top Bottom