Top 100 Schools Need To Break From NCAA (CBS) | The Boneyard

Top 100 Schools Need To Break From NCAA (CBS)

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Why it could make a lot of financial sense for the top 100 teams to break from the NCAA

The top 100 football-playing universities have to consolidate their athletic media rights to maximize their worth in the future, a powerful Oregon official told CBS Sports.

"Why? Because there's [not enough] money for athletics," Pat Kilkenny said recently. Kilkenny is a former Oregon athletic director who now consults for multiple schools and is a longtime confidant of Nike CEO Phil Knight.

"The deficits they're running on campuses isn't sustainable," he added, "… which means they have to raise the bar, which means they have to aggregate."

In other words, there would be no college football unless media companies negotiated with those 100 as a unit.

The 100 schools would more or less include the 65 Power Five schools, Notre Dame, the AAC, the Mountain West and selected others. There will be 130 schools in the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) when the 2019 season begins.

Reaction Score
UMass might have a chance.

Breaking away from the NCAA would render the Patriot League, Ivy League, etc, D2. There's still a lot of schools that aspire to climb the ladder.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
There is no way the P5s will want to share money with any G5 school. That's why we have the rigged corrupt model that exists today. Greed/money runs the world.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why it could make a lot of financial sense for the top 100 teams to break from the NCAA

Essentially this takes all the profit from March Madness and allocates it to the top 100 schools. This would be a huge game changer for UConn, the AAC and any G5 teams.

One interesting question is what is more important to the P5, getting more money or having a bigger differential between P5 schools and G5 schools.

Did you actually read the article? UConn would be included.

Top 100 football-playing schools, not top 100 football schools.

CL82

Reaction Score
Did you actually read the article? UConn would be included.

Top 100 football-playing schools, not top 100 football schools.
Yes. What about my post would make you think otherwise?

Reaction Score
This would make march madness a lot less mad and less interesting. People tune in, in large parts for the upsets and if you take that away, not sure it would reach the same levels of success but who knows.

They are tinkering with the world cup too, 16 divisions of three teams totalling 48 and ppl are complaining a lot rightfully but maybe just as many will still tune in. But who knows.

CL82

Reaction Score
This would make march madness a lot less mad and less interesting. People tune in, in large parts for the upsets and if you take that away, not sure it would reach the same levels of success but who knows.

They are tinkering with the world cup too, 16 divisions of three teams totalling 48 and ppl are complaining a lot rightfully but maybe just as many will still tune in. But who knows.
Agree in principal, but there are enough basketball underdog in the 100 football schools to make it work.

Reaction Score
The way the article is written, they are referring to football. But, if the top 100 football schools broke away, I would worry about what happens down the road with basketball. In the current environment, football drives the bus and basketball only schools face some long term risk. It’s one of the reasons the AAC is a better fit for UConn as the Big East could be left out if a break did occur.

Reaction Score
Agree in principal, but there are enough basketball underdog in the 100 football schools to make it work.
Yes, but you would definitely not have a 64 team field for the tournament. You may get a 16 team field. That’s a lot less revenue from basketball.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yes, but you would definitely not have a 64 team field for the tournament. You may get a 16 team field. That’s a lot less revenue from basketball.
why couldn't you field a 64 team field?

Reaction Score
64 out of a hundred teams making. The tournament would nearly make the regular season irrelevant. That’s 64% of the teams making the tournament probably with a handful of teams under .500 win percentage.

CL82

Reaction Score
64 out of a hundred teams making. The tournament would nearly make the regular season irrelevant. That’s 64% of the teams making the tournament probably with a handful of teams under .500 win percentage.
Got it, so 32 team field?

CL82

Reaction Score
I would think 16 or 24 with some play in games.
Take a look at who made the tourney this past year. You get to 32 comfortably with the P5, the American and the MAC.

Reaction Score
Take a look at who made the tourney this past year. You get to 32 comfortably with the P5, the American and the MAC.

True, but the way I see it right now there are 351 D1 schools and you’re going down to 100. I think with 32 schools getting in it would still diminish the regular season.

CL82

Reaction Score
True, but the way I see it right now there are 351 D1 schools and you’re going down to 100. I think with 32 schools getting in it would still diminish the regular season.
Yeah not seeing it in the least.

Reaction Score
I am opposed to this breakaway for many reasons. While the NCAA has a host of many issues, this trend towards more divisions and autonomy is making things worse. One of the good things that the NCAA has going for itself are the basketball tournaments. The fact that any of the teams has a chance to win it, even if remote, makes the tournament more exciting.

As for the reasons for this latest breakaway proposal, money, I see things only getting worse. Oregon and other P5 schools are getting twice the amount or more than they have been getting 10 years ago. That didn't seem to help the deficits that athletic departments have. Instead, they took the extra money and spent it on more facilities (with all the bells and whistles) that were probably not needed and paying coaches multi-million dollar salaries.

With this breakaway, the spending and salaries will only get more grotesque, and hastening college athletics into irrelevance. The greed and corruption we see now will only get worse.

CL82

Reaction Score
I am opposed to this breakaway for many reasons. While the NCAA has a host of many issues, this trend towards more divisions and autonomy is making things worse. One of the good things that the NCAA has going for itself are the basketball tournaments. The fact that any of the teams has a chance to win it, even if remote, makes the tournament more exciting.

As for the reasons for this latest breakaway proposal, money, I see things only getting worse. Oregon and other P5 schools are getting twice the amount or more than they have been getting 10 years ago. That didn't seem to help the deficits that athletic departments have. Instead, they took the extra money and spent it on more facilities (with all the bells and whistles) that were probably not needed and paying coaches multi-million dollar salaries.

With this breakaway, the spending and salaries will only get more grotesque, and hastening college athletics into irrelevance. The greed and corruption we see now will only get worse.
Fair points, but from the outside looking in, I'd be all for it.

Reaction Score
Because it relates to media rights, I would want to include local and regional TV markets as a factor as to who gets into the 100. I think UConn belongs there given the state's demographics and proximity to New York City.

Reaction Score
I was surprised to see that Connecticut's population was similar in size to Alabama, Arkansas, and Kentucky....

I had always thought of the state as a more urban area....but then again, Alabama, Arkansas, and Kentucky may have more square miles per resident and thus feel rural.

Reaction Score

Now the terp says don’t breakaway for more money.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom