Too Soon? WNBA Draft Talk | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Too Soon? WNBA Draft Talk

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Comments on a small number of players.

I looked at stats for Gray and Davis. Kaela may be the more athletic player with the bigger upside, but I was impressed by Gray. KD had better 3-point shooting and FT shooting, but Gray had much better overall FG shooting, more rebounds, and a much better A/TO ratio. I like Allusha's game. As a possible second overall pick, she's no Elena DelleDonne or Moriah Jefferson, but she'll help some team.

In terms of bigs, I like Brionna Jones's efficiency. Shooting about .690 is insanely good. But she has limited range and may be undersized in the pros (height-wise). I also noticed that she shuffles up and down the floor with small strides. Mercedes Russell (in next year's draft) also does not run the floor well, in my view. Tina Charles and Nneka Ogwumike will run them off the court.

Seattle needs defense and rebounding, as well as a successor to Sue. Though Alaina Coates has a limited repertoire, I think she would give Seattle exactly what they need. She would help San Antonio as well, though the Stars added some height via trades, including Erika de Souza and Izzy Harrison.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I am astonished that you think that Saniya Chong has more short or long term potential than Kelly Faris. Other than 3 point shooting, what area of Saniya's game is superior to Kelly's?

I think that a comparison of their 4-year numbers at UConn, or for that matter their senior year numbers, would support what I am saying.
Very different players. I think SC has a quicker first step and can drive and dish better than KF. I think SC can play an open court game better than Kelly.

But your general point is well taken. I don't see SC sticking anywhere. I truly hope I am wrong.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
ETT, why didn't a coach correct Nina's technique? Do you have any thoughts? Thx...

Alyssa Thomas for the the Sun may be a reasonable analog to Nina.... strong rebounder, finisher and defender. She is relentless in pushing the ball upcourt and sets a fast tempo for the team... BUT Alyssa has the worst shooting form I have ever seen and has no reliable outside game. If she did, she would be a perenial all-star. How she could have progressed through her early years without someone focussing on fixing that is mind boggling. If I have a kid with Alyssa's build and althleticism and she has such a glaring weakness, I don't let her out of the gym without tons of one on one coaching to fix that shot.

Reaction Score
I don't think she can be a consistent scoring threat. That's why I don't like her in 1st round. But as I said-- I haven't seen her and others enough. Most of the time I saw Allen was vs Moriah and that's not entirely fair as well.

Think Lindsey Harding or Niya Johnson

Reaction Score
Glad to see Alexis Prince finally being looked at as a top prospect. I couldn't understand all of the mock drafts without her listed. She can shoot, defend and rebound. She is the full package and will have a great pro career.

I just don't know what will happen with Nina Davis. She just never developed the outside shot that she will need at the pro level.

And she had more assists than turnovers. Not bad for an SF

Reaction Score
I am astonished that you think that Saniya Chong has more short or long term potential than Kelly Faris. Other than 3 point shooting, what area of Saniya's game is superior to Kelly's?

I think that a comparison of their 4-year numbers at UConn, or for that matter their senior year numbers, would support what I am saying.

Chong had to play with the big 3 of Stewart, Jefferson, and Tuck... until this year when she was arguably part of UConn's unexpected success.

The Sun have signed Faris to a training camp contract. That's not a big show of confidence. It would appear the front office are ready to move on from Faris. Some fans probably don't feel the same. Why not give Chong a chance and appease fans? It's not like you can expect a lot out of #13 and #16 picks.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
ETT, why didn't a coach correct Nina's technique? Do you have any thoughts? Thx...

That is a great question that I have asked many times. Some say that you don't tinker with a player's form at this point in their careers, but I think Nina was short-changed in this area. I cannot say that efforts were not made, but if they were they failed miserably. However, some of the blame is on Nina as she knew that her shot was bad.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom