Too Soon? WNBA Draft Talk | The Boneyard

Too Soon? WNBA Draft Talk

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
WNBA mock draft 2017

The draft is less than a week away and of course I'm most concerned with who the Sun get and how they might fit in. I am going to be watching the Stars pretty closely because the addition of Plum and the possible addition of Coates could turn that franchise around in a big hurry. Mo, Kelsey and Kayla on the perimeter and the big girl down low sounds like a winner to me. Mo will be lighting up the assist column at a tremendous rate.

As for the Chiney-less Sun, I am not very familiar with the details of the players likely to be available at 8 and 13. I know our guards have been streaky and as a team we were pretty bad from 3. It would be great to find someone who can be a reliable 3 point shooter and play some D also.

The Sun's fate this year hinges more on the recovery and level of play from Tuck and Banham, than it does the draftees, I think. The development of Jones as starter will also be a key.

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
I'm curious if the Sun fans are interested in Chong in either the #13 or #16 spots?

Reaction Score
I'm curious if the Sun fans are interested in Chong in either the #13 or #16 spots?

As much as I love Saniya (which is a whole lot), I think the Sun will have better options for those spots. The Sun need all the help they can get, and can't afford to be sentimental.

I really do hope that Saniya lands with a team where she fits and can contribute. I just don't think that's the Sun.

Reaction Score
I really like Lindsay Allen for the Sun. A point guard who can distribute the ball well without turning it over. She plays with good pace and athleticism. Her decision-making seems to be very good. She could increase the scoring of the other players. As it said in that article, career assists leader for the ACC. Imagine Courtney Williams and Alex Bentley getting great passes instead of having to create everything for themselves. There is great potential there. She would be an excellent fit. A true point guard, who is also a good point guard, will be critical to the success of the Sun.

As far as Alexis Jones in the 8th spot. It depends on her knee situation. She can hit threes but the Sun don't need another player sitting out while she recuperates. It might also be better to go for a big. Height is very effective in the pros compared to college because of the rule differences that free up the inside and the better 3 point shooting. I'm sure that's why they brought in Hamson and Kizer, to get bigger.

Expect Jonquel Jones to do very well this year inside. Without Chiney, she is the linchpin that is going to make it work or not. She is doing real well oversees. I believe she is a star in the making.

I also hope Danielle Adams makes the team. The Sun need points and rebounds. She will give both of those. I was surprised when San Antonio let her go, but we obviously are not privy to all that happened. She is an effective player, despite her shape. She is also doing well oversees. She is averaging 21 points and 8+ rebounds. I don't think the Sun can afford to worry about the aesthetics.

While I am not recommending this, it might be interesting if the Sun picked up Osahor who is physically and in style of play similar to Adams. It might be a bit comical looking, but it might give the Sun a sort of quirky identity that might attract attention from fans, especially since they are both effective players.

Don't know what they are thinking about Allison Hightower. She is rarely mentioned and is not listed on the roster. Obviously, she was an All-Star. In my opinion, she was very effective. That's a strange situation. She could definitely be a help in the back court.

I'm hoping another year under Curt Miller will help the team start to make his system really click. I'm excited. I have had many enjoyable times watching CT's only major league team.

Reaction Score
Interesting that Davis is all the way down at 12th.

And Allen seems low at 13 but I don't know the W well.

Reaction Score
WNBA mock draft 2017

The draft is less than a week away and of course I'm most concerned with who the Sun get and how they might fit in. I am going to be watching the Stars pretty closely because the addition of Plum and the possible addition of Coates could turn that franchise around in a big hurry. Mo, Kelsey and Kayla on the perimeter and the big girl down low sounds like a winner to me. Mo will be lighting up the assist column at a tremendous rate.

As for the Chiney-less Sun, I am not very familiar with the details of the players likely to be available at 8 and 13. I know our guards have been streaky and as a team we were pretty bad from 3. It would be great to find someone who can be a reliable 3 point shooter and play some D also.

The Sun's fate this year hinges more on the recovery and level of play from Tuck and Banham, than it does the draftees, I think. The development of Jones as starter will also be a key.

Thoughts?

I haven't watched enough games of college kids from other schools but in no way do I see Coates as a turn-around franchise type player. I'm not a big fan of Lindsay Allen. I do think a lot of Erica McCall.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think Gray would be a good pick for the Sparks.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I haven't watched enough games of college kids from other schools but in no way do I see Coates as a turn-around franchise type player. I'm not a big fan of Lindsay Allen. I do think a lot of Erica McCall.
Allen on occasion has proven she can score and I think if she is to succeed she has to be a scoring threat - not big numbers need but force the defense to play her honest.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I really like Lindsay Allen for the Sun. A point guard who can distribute the ball well without turning it over. She plays with good pace and athleticism. Her decision-making seems to be very good. She could increase the scoring of the other players. As it said in that article, career assists leader for the ACC. Imagine Courtney Williams and Alex Bentley getting great passes instead of having to create everything for themselves. There is great potential there. She would be an excellent fit. A true point guard, who is also a good point guard, will be critical to the success of the Sun.

As far as Alexis Jones in the 8th spot. It depends on her knee situation. She can hit threes but the Sun don't need another player sitting out while she recuperates. It might also be better to go for a big. Height is very effective in the pros compared to college because of the rule differences that free up the inside and the better 3 point shooting. I'm sure that's why they brought in Hamson and Kizer, to get bigger.

Expect Jonquel Jones to do very well this year inside. Without Chiney, she is the linchpin that is going to make it work or not. She is doing real well oversees. I believe she is a star in the making.

I also hope Danielle Adams makes the team. The Sun need points and rebounds. She will give both of those. I was surprised when San Antonio let her go, but we obviously are not privy to all that happened. She is an effective player, despite her shape. She is also doing well oversees. She is averaging 21 points and 8+ rebounds. I don't think the Sun can afford to worry about the aesthetics.

While I am not recommending this, it might be interesting if the Sun picked up Osahor who is physically and in style of play similar to Adams. It might be a bit comical looking, but it might give the Sun a sort of quirky identity that might attract attention from fans, especially since they are both effective players.

Don't know what they are thinking about Allison Hightower. She is rarely mentioned and is not listed on the roster. Obviously, she was an All-Star. In my opinion, she was very effective. That's a strange situation. She could definitely be a help in the back court.

I'm hoping another year under Curt Miller will help the team start to make his system really click. I'm excited. I have had many enjoyable times watching CT's only major league team.

Coach Curt ultimately wants a fast breaking motion offense similar to UConn. I don't see Adams or Osahor fitting that model.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Here's my take on the draft:
1. Plum is the clear option for a #1 pick. Her with Jefferson in the backcourt and McBride on the wing is incredibly dangerous.

2. I think Gray is the 2nd best prospect. Gray is a player who can score in pretty much any manner and is extremely efficient. I also think she could play the 2 or the three despite her short height. Good athlete, smooth scorer, and she'd be a great fit for the Sky. I think she has a long career ahead of her as a steady 10-15 point scorer.

3. Jones, Coates and Osahor are the three best post prospects in the class. Each bring a different skill set to the table. I think Jones will probably be the best long term pro, Coates is the best defensive post, and Osahor has the most varied skill set of the three. If I'm a GM in need of a post, Jones is my first one picked since she is a work horse, an outstanding finisher and will continue to improve in the pros. Coates I'd pick second since she's a true 5 which you don't see often in the women's game. Osahor--I love her skill set, but just do not see her lasting as a pro unless she's able to run the floor effectively and be more efficient from long range. Great college player, but I'll be surprised if she lasts more than 1-2 seasons.

4. There are a slew of good PG prospects in this draft, including Wiese, Jones, Peterson, and Allen. Wiese has great size and a great shot, Jones is a big game player with a well rounded game, Peterson is lightning quick and capable of putting up huge numbers, and Allen is one of the best creators in the draft. I think the order in this mock draft is accurate (Peterson the highest, then Wiese, Jones and Allen), but I do think all are capable of lasting in the league. Peterson is an electric scorer and had a monster senior season despite an underwhelming year for her team. She's small but can score a lot of points and help a team in need of better scoring from the guard spots. Wiese is your classic big guard capable of hitting shots and running the offense. She does not have a quick release which could limit her opportunities to score, but with her size and IQ she'll find a place in her league.
Jones and Allen were 2 of my favorite PGs this year. Jones has one of the best skill sets in all of college basketball, but she is small, is really a combo guard rather than a true PG, and is a good but not great scorer. I think she has the best upside of any PG out of these 4, but her lack of a defined position (as a combo guard) could put her in a tough spot since I don't see her as a true PG in the league and she's a bit small to be a 2. I really hope Allen finds a spot and sticks. She's as good a playmaker as anyone, and she can score when she takes the opportunity to do so, but her lack of scoring mentality might hurt her in the long run.

5. Kaela Davis will likely be a top 6-7 pick. Her stock should skyrocket after a great NCAA tournament. I like her over any other wing besides Gray because of her size and ability to score. She is still a bit of a project/risk, but I think in the pros she'll excel with a more spread out offense which will give her more space to move off the ball and create her own shot.

6. The depth and quality of this draft is actually better than a lot of people give it credit, especially with Davis/Gray on board. 2016 was an awful draft outside of Stewart/Jefferson and 2015 was close to as bad with just a handful of standouts. I think a lot of these players could go on to have great pro careers.

Reaction Score
Allen on occasion has proven she can score and I think if she is to succeed she has to be a scoring threat - not big numbers need but force the defense to play her honest.

I don't think she can be a consistent scoring threat. That's why I don't like her in 1st round. But as I said-- I haven't seen her and others enough. Most of the time I saw Allen was vs Moriah and that's not entirely fair as well.

Reaction Score
Coach Curt ultimately wants a fast breaking motion offense similar to UConn. I don't see Adams or Osahor fitting that model.
Good point. But he did bring Adams into camp. I wasn't really serious about the Osahor thing.

Reaction Score
As much as I liked Osahor's unique style of play it's really hard to imagine her as a pro. Her game is fine it's the damage she's already absorbed up to this point that should give her and every GM pause. She's out there in Caroline Doty country where you have to choose between a few more games or being able to walk unassisted past the age of thirty...

Reaction Score
It's a tough draw for the Stars in my opinion. I'm not sure they need Plum. Moriah will be an allstar point guard. I would think they need a center and/or a good number 4. I'm curious how Coates will be. Sometimes injuries really never go away, or they become chronic. Like ankles and knees. I would like to see the Stars pick Kelsy and trade her for an established center like Elizabeth Williams. Hey, I can make it up as I go.

Reaction Score
As much as I love Saniya (which is a whole lot), I think the Sun will have better options for those spots. The Sun need all the help they can get, and can't afford to be sentimental.

I really do hope that Saniya lands with a team where she fits and can contribute. I just don't think that's the Sun.

Drafting Chong may be a way to move on from Faris, who I'm sure has nothing to do with sentiment.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
WNBA mock draft 2017

Thoughts?

Why hasn't Banham produced as anticipated?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
SC could very well have the #2, 3 and 4 draft picks. And Wilson will likely be #1 next year.

Reaction Score
Interesting that Davis is all the way down at 12th.

And Allen seems low at 13 but I don't know the W well.

Really hope The Lynx drafts Kaela. She could learn ALOT from Maya Moore and Seimone Augustus. Cheryl Reeves could also take her game to the next level.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Glad to see Alexis Prince finally being looked at as a top prospect. I couldn't understand all of the mock drafts without her listed. She can shoot, defend and rebound. She is the full package and will have a great pro career.

I just don't know what will happen with Nina Davis. She just never developed the outside shot that she will need at the pro level.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Drafting Chong may be a way to move on from Faris, who I'm sure has nothing to do with sentiment.
I am astonished that you think that Saniya Chong has more short or long term potential than Kelly Faris. Other than 3 point shooting, what area of Saniya's game is superior to Kelly's?

I think that a comparison of their 4-year numbers at UConn, or for that matter their senior year numbers, would support what I am saying.

Reaction Score
Excelle Sports doesn't have Saniya being drafted at all. That would be too bad.

Reaction Score
ETT, why didn't a coach correct Nina's technique? Do you have any thoughts? Thx...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom