Too Many Deficiencies- NIT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Too Many Deficiencies- NIT

Reaction Score
I see a lot of people noting Vital and Gilbert's poorer shooting %s than previous years, but left out of the analysis is the fact that Jalen Adams drew so much attention in the previous 2 years that many of their past shots were wide open. The dropoff was expected. At least by me. The team lacks a primary offensive scorer.

Vital's getting the same looks just not making anything. Gilbert is off balance way too often but is open too usually purposefully at this point as the other team shows less concern. They just need to make shots and we get better quick. Not sure if they will but it really is that simple I'm afraid.

Reaction Score
Project a .500 season in mid December in the CALHOUN ERA would have been fool's gold.

And I tend to think Hurley will track - you get better as the year goes on. You learn better rotations and the FR/SO grow up. I think we get better & the OP was just typical curmodgeony.

Reaction Score
Project a .500 season in mid December in the CALHOUN ERA would have been fool's gold.

And I tend to think Hurley will track - you get better as the year goes on. You learn better rotations and the FR/SO grow up. I think we get better & the OP was just typical curmodgeony.
You're right, grumpy for sure. But 26 turnovers and watching Vital and Gilbert as seniors throw the ball away and get picked caused it. If they were sophomores no big deal. There's enough talent on this team to escape the NIT and hopefully Hurley can find the path.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Our offense was sloppy but was anyone worried at any time we would lose that game? And you don't think our guys work hard? This is the best defense UConn has played in years. I think we have a decent chance of improving and making the NCAAs. I'm bullish on our Huskies

On offence our guys don't cut hard, frequently make sloppy passes, don't make forceful block outs. Playing the 'best defense in years' sets a low bar. Al and Polly are about the only two guys that play defensive positioning (Al more than Polly). The freshmen are lost on defense.

The team has a great chance of improving and making the NIT. I'm very bullish on the Huskies as DH continues to coach out the poor mentalities/habits and bring in kids with skill who work hard.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Year 2 of a rebuild, 10 games in.

The pre-season consensus here was, arguably, NIT, maybe NCAA.

I haven't seen enough to change that assessment, which means it would be nonsensical for me to have any disappointment attached to thoughts that there won't be an NCAA bid.

Other than wanting to claim, "I said it first," I can't see the point in anyone making a revised prediction prior to a single conference game.
The problem with this years team is not their performance necessarily. It is fan expectation in a What-have-you-done-for-me-lately/I-want-it-all-and-I-want-it-now environment.

I was told last week to stop comparing this year's team to the Ollie years (Not going to, by the way... but someone drew a fine line between 6-3 and 9-0, where I said that in the past, that fine line would be between 6-3 and 3-6.). The same goes for the Calhoun era. In non-obvious NIT years, my personal expectation for UConn was Sweet 16. I think that's were some were expecting UConn to leap back.

Hurley comes from elite coaching stock, no doubt, and has proven himself as a fine coach at lower tiers. While the future looks bright, the fact remains that he is still a bit unproven among the elites and, given his UConn inheritance, a middle seed in the Dance is not out of the realm. However a high NIT birth (i.e. easier perceived path to MSG) is still far more likely.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Reminds me of Silvio after Tony got whacked.

what?

I need an explanation.

Tony getting whacked (if you believe that was waht happened when the music cut, some do, some dont, I do) was the last scene of the series.

So
1) we never saw silvio after that
2) He was already a vegetable well before that.

Im just trying to reconcile the reference here.

Reaction Score
I believed that the NCAA tournament was a reach goal for this team at the beginning of the season. I still believe that. But seasons have ebbs and flows. Time will tell if our troubles are because we've been scouted and don't have enough talent to adjust, or if we're just in a bad stretch.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
what?

I need an explanation.

Tony getting whacked (if you believe that was waht happened when the music cut, some do, some dont, I do) was the last scene of the series.

So
1) we never saw silvio after that
2) He was already a vegetable well before that.

Im just trying to reconcile the reference here.
Was going to go through this, but to what end?

That said, Silvio was acting Boss only once, when Tony was in the coma. I thought he was also AB when Tony was on the lam before the sit down with Phil Leotardo, but it is unclear if Tony gave him control or if he trusted Silvio to take control after his asthma attack during his earlier "reign."

Reaction Score
There are some good moments coming as we have seen in recent past games against decent teams but even though this team has more talent than the last couple of years our key players have too many faults and limitations. True we won’t have the blowout losses we saw at 1 year ago but when you see 48 turnovers in the last 2 games what else can one say? I see a .500 record in the AAC with many ugly games and Hurley pressers like we saw last night. I predict some breakout performances from all of the starters on various nights (and new players Bouk, Akok) which will give false hope to making the NCAA but overall when this season is done we are a few games over .500 total and in the NIT.
Would gladly bet this team finishes up over .500 in the AAC. Interested with escrow?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Many of the turnovers were the result of school yard flip passes off the dribble. Many more were soft telegraphed passes that gave the opportunity of opponents hands getting in the path
We have a BBIQ issue more than anything else. Some of that is because we are young (e.g., giving a breaking player the ball with a defender in position a stride ahead of him so that he gets called for a charge) and some of that is not knowing your limitations (e.g. dribbling into traffic without an option to dish to.) The former is youth and will be fixed with experience. The latter is hubris and is difficult to correct without sitting people, which Hurley seems reluctant to do.

Reaction Score
I see a lot of people noting Vital and Gilbert's poorer shooting %s than previous years, but left out of the analysis is the fact that Jalen Adams drew so much attention in the previous 2 years that many of their past shots were wide open. The dropoff was expected. At least by me. The team lacks a primary offensive scorer.
The most sensible comment in a long time on here. Vital’s best year (last year) came when Al and Jalen were threats on the floor and he could just catch and shoot. Al could work the weak side and exploit easier matchups without trying to split every double team. We’re in trouble unless Tyler and Carlton get more shots than CV and Al.

Reaction Score
There are some good moments coming as we have seen in recent past games against decent teams but even though this team has more talent than the last couple of years our key players have too many faults and limitations. True we won’t have the blowout losses we saw at 1 year ago but when you see 48 turnovers in the last 2 games what else can one say? I see a .500 record in the AAC with many ugly games and Hurley pressers like we saw last night. I predict some breakout performances from all of the starters on various nights (and new players Bouk, Akok) which will give false hope to making the NCAA but overall when this season is done we are a few games over .500 total and in the NIT.

Way too early to make this call.

Reaction Score
Way too early to make this call.

I believe this team has as much talent as anyone in the AAC, possibly save Memphis. Which is even younger than us. Bouknight and Adams have to get back to how they were playing a few weeks ago and Vital and Gilbert have to turn it over less and make a few more shots. That is doable. No guaranty it will be done, but this team is very close to being 9-0. They can make the tournament. They have to learn to do a little bit more so they win close games instead of losing them.

Reaction Score
Our big win was over a very average Florida team. Our big loss was to a very weak St Joes. I’m not a huge NIT fan but that will be an accomplishment for a team with eh guards and little bench depth
I agree the St Joes loss was a head scratcher. But Since that loss the team has played excellent team defense.
Sometimes getting embarrassed is good for motivation.
Our only losses since have been in OT to a ranked Xavier team and to 10-1 Indiana
What this board in general can’t seem to grasp is that kind of D is a prerequisite for a successful season.
Looking ahead pretty much every game on our schedule is winnable
That hasn’t been the case in years.
The bench will eventually be a strength
How many teams will be able to counter a Bouknight off the bench.
As for our guards when you described them as EH your only looking at them offensively. They are the heart of the pressure D
We have a shot blocker at the 4
a lights out shooter
A legitimate 5
and two guards that would die for the team.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Too soon! We are still in the Marathon Oil days of the season. D is elite and O is tarnished silver. With elbow grease the O will shine. I predict a 7 seed in the NCAA.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Bouknight and Adams have to get back to how they were playing a few weeks ago
Any thoughts on why the slide? For Bouk I count it as the normal fits and starts of being a freshman. For Adams, I'm not sure. He looked great and was playing smart. I'm not sure why he's struggling a bit.

Reaction Score
Yeah I mean I guess i'm not in the sky is falling camp. People that thought this was going to be a year or two rebuild and that we'd be magically OK and contending for the sweet 16 are nuts, frankly - and just don't understand how bad this program was and how close it was to oblivion under Ollie and how much work needed to be done with the kids that are here.

Guys - they had optional practices. Strength and conditioning wasn't a priority. Their entire offense was low-level iso's and give and go. Everything about even the structure of the program was a total dumpster fire. Community college programs were run better. It was *actually* that bad. Coaches were even having it out in the locker room during games.

So when I hear stuff like 'it concerns me that CV and Gilbert are upperclassmen and doing this' - I mean jeez guys. They've been in a bad high school program for two and three years, respectively - and one of those guys wasn't even playing in said bad high school program. Hurley's had to teach these guys everything - and I mean *everything*. Like down to the most basic stuff you can imagine.

I'm not making excuses for anyone, I'm trying to add a level of perspective here that I just think is generally lacking. Hurley getting really mad, stomping his feet, tossing chairs and yelling at guys and benching them - isn't going to solve the problem. Tighter leash? Sure. Does he have a few more options? Sure. But doing the hardo 'i'm gonna yell and bench you force my fist down your throat and teach you a lesson/beat you into submission until you listen to me' stuff isn't going to fix the fact that Vital has egregiously low basketball IQ and decision making ability and that Gilbert is basically a year or two behind where he should be developmentally.

Part of it is just making shots. They're just not falling the way they have and that should mostly self-correct. Part of it on Vital's part is not being a total idiot, trying to take too much on, forcing bad shots, etc. But how much time is it worth taking to address given the long term? Why not just hope Bouknight and Gaffney can eat more and more minutes (which seems to be the plan, but they've gotta step up, too)? Gilbert needs to be more of a facilitator - when he does that, we're good. When he doesn't - we're not. His issue is just being more selective about the shots he does take and not forcing/shooting off balance. The rest is just finding out who your actual options are. Adams, Gaffney and Bouknight have all shown flashes, but none of them have put three consecutive, consistent, solid games together.

To me - it's a little luck, it's a little bit of a talent/depth issue, etc. But it's hard for me to put that on Hurley - especially given the broader context of the actual discussion. Truth is - we've beaten everyone we probably should have and could have easily stolen another win from Indiana or Xavier (or both). Florida and St Joe's kind of cancel each other out. The defense took a monster step forward - we just need a little bit more depth, development and skill on offense. If we can go from being a gong show to 'just bad' on offense, we're going to be a tough team to deal with and we stand a good chance to get better as the year goes on. Now we've got a little luck with the Wiseman thing at Memphis.. like we SHOULD head into conference play sitting at 11-3 with a lot to like.

So I dunno. Color me by myself as not saying we're ahead or behind where we need to be - but rather right where we should be.

Reaction Score
Team gets too jacked (including coach) for highlight plays and not enough angst on turnover/sloppy plays. It is on Hurley to fix ball security/passing issues, can't have team with .9 assist to turnover ratio and expect to out defense opponent to enough wins for the NCAA's.

Reaction Score
Yeah losing Adams is big loss from last year's team as we have no go to guy. I was hoping Carlton would be that guy inside but a little lack of emotion from him and horrible passes from the guards has limited his effectiveness in games. Bouknight to me is the missing piece. I know I hate to put that much pressure on a freshman but by the middle to the end of the season if he can become our go to scorer we have a real chance to be great. Vital and Gilbert are definitely not go to guys as we have seen. They just need to play within themselves or sit on the bench.

Reaction Score
Any thoughts on why the slide? For Bouk I count it as the normal fits and starts of being a freshman. For Adams, I'm not sure. He looked great and was playing smart. I'm not sure why he's struggling a bit.

My two guesses on Adams (and they are no more than that):

1. He started the season shooting lights out, on small numbers of shots. As he's now missing his small number of jumpers, I wouldn't be surprised if it's hit his confidence generally.

2. Given how little meaningful time he got last year, in terms of being more consistency with length in the program he's not that much more than a freshman.

To be clear, I'm not confident that we will start playing to our potential consistently. But at least the potential is there, which it hasn't been (at least after injuries) the past three years.

Reaction Score
Side note: Next year, we have GOT to get out of this 'play one game a week until New Years' stuff. It's not the REASON we're losing - but take an attention deficit disorder team like this and give them a week to count ceiling tiles and it sure doesn't help, I don't think.
Good point we played our best during the Charleston tournament especially the 3rd game in 4 days

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom