Too many "Bigs" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Too many "Bigs"

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You cant coach height...not even Geno. Baylor won last year for that same reason.
I know I've said it many times, but yes, you can't teach height. The corollary however to that is, some height you just can't teach. With this young lady it seems that is the case.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Maybe someone should start a petition like the do at a Vol board, demanding that Geno recruit at least 2 6'8"+ players? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

It is not so easy on the neck for Geno. ;)

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Having one tall center to anchor the defense makes a huge difference just as an intimidation factor alone. However, ....

UConn won three championships without a center over 6'3" .

UConn won four championships without a "power forward" over 6'0" .

UConn won eight championships with only one player over 6'2" as a starting post.

Two of those remaining three times the "power forward" was Stewart, who had the skills and athleticism to play any position on the floor.

Only once did UConn win a championship with Baylor's kind of line-up last year. "But times change," you say? Indeed they do. That one time was UConn's first championship in 1995. Since then our smaller line-up has at times beaten taller line-ups, with Tennessee being one delicious example.

I would love to see a line-up with a tall center and a Stewart-like power forward. Perhaps we'll have that soon. But even more I love to see the sort of high octane, efficient motion offense that UConn runs when at its best and there just aren't a lot of power forwards out there like Stewart to make that happen.

A couple of bigs is preferred. But it's been proven by UConn and other programs that it is neither a sufficient nor a necessary condition to win championships.

Now that I know his secret I'm counting on Meyers to back me up. :)

Reaction Score
We should get 6'7" Lauren Betts in 2022 and 5'4" Jaelyn Bates in the same year.

3rdbass: serious question. Are you saying you believe we are going to land those two, or are you just saying it would be nice if we got them?? Either way, Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Reaction Score
Having one tall center to anchor the defense makes a huge difference just as an intimidation factor alone. However, ....

DIGG: Interesting and well said. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Doc, I love Jaelyn Bates. She's skilled and enthusiastic, but she's Crystal's size or shorter. I believe she has UConn interest but not an offer. Betts is the top player in 2022. If we get her, I'll have dreams of 195-0.

Happy Thanksviving to you!

Reaction Score
I don't care if We win by 2 points every game this season .... as the Great Al Davis said "Just win baby Win"!!!!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

UConn won eight championships with only one player over 6'2" as a starting post.

Two of those remaining three times the "power forward" was Stewart, who had the skills and athleticism to play any position on the floor.

Only once did UConn win a championship with Baylor's kind of line-up last year. "But times change," you say? Indeed they do. That one time was UConn's first championship in 1995. Since then our smaller line-up has at times beaten taller line-ups, with Tennessee being one delicious example.

I would love to see a line-up with a tall center and a Stewart-like power forward. Perhaps we'll have that soon. But even more I love to see the sort of high octane, efficient motion offense that UConn runs when at its best and there just aren't a lot of power forwards out there like Stewart to make that happen.

A couple of bigs is preferred. But it's been proven by UConn and other programs that it is neither a sufficient nor a necessary condition to win championships.

Now that I know his secret I'm counting on Meyers to back me up. :)
1995 had some height - Walters 6-7, Lobo 6-4, Elliott 6-0 and Hunt 6-2
2000 had a lot of height - Williams/Cash/Jones 6-2, Sauer/Schumaker 6-5, Rigby 6-6, Abrosimova 6-2 and Hansmeyer 6-0?
2010 had a little - Charles 6-4, McLaren 6-2, Moore 6-0 and Buck 6-4
2013 had a bit - Buck 6-4, Dolson 6-5, Stokes 6-3, Stewart 6-4, Tuck 6-2
2016 had - Stewart 6-4, Tuck 6-2, Butler 6-5, Collier 6-1, Samuelson 6-3 and Williams 6-0? (but played much bigger)
Other than those years, we didn't have a whole lot of height.

Reaction Score
1995 had some height - Walters 6-7, Lobo 6-4, Elliott 6-0 and Hunt 6-2
2000 had a lot of height - Williams/Cash/Jones 6-2, Sauer/Schumaker 6-5, Rigby 6-6, Abrosimova 6-2 and Hansmeyer 6-0?

MEYER: very interesting data. Well presented. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Reaction Score
Paige will be the primary guard for the next four years. She can thread the needle while running at full speed.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Paige will be the primary guard for the next four years. She can thread the needle while running at full speed.
Paige might become the starting PG but she is going to overlap with Junior/Senior Christyn Williams. Christyn Williams will be the primary guard until she graduates.

Reaction Score
We should get 6'7" Lauren Betts in 2022 and 5'4" Jaelyn Bates in the same year.

I THINK I asked you about this, but can't find your reply now. Perhaps it was in a different thread. In any event, was asking you to clarify the meaning of your interesting comment above: are you saying that it is your opinion that we are going to be successful in getting those two players mentioned, or are you just saying it would be smart for us to go after those two? Hope the distinction is clear this time.

Reaction Score
These are the 2 players in 2022 ....we should target

Janiah Barker
FORWARD
CLASS: 2022

Isuneh Brady

Reaction Score
i was mere;y saying thta I would give Evelyn more plaiyng time over Kayla in the scenario you brought up...if the game was out of hand to develop players

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom