Too High Expectations | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Too High Expectations

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Smoke and mirrors
Yeah the kid had the goods but way too much baggage and many knew about it but decided to turn a blind eye.
He let the team down in so many ways - the story will come out some day.
I feel sorry for the kid but he is his own worse enemy and shame on those who knew and didn't step in.
Care to be more specific? Or we’re just going to blast the kid for letting his team down? He had the car crash incident and was punished. Obviously he’s had his personal problems in the NBA, but what else during his time at UConn?

Reaction Score
Not sure how to put this but what player did you have high expectations for but for whatever reason they did not reach 'your' expectation?

For me I would say Jalen Adams. In high school he was the shizzle (liked him over Briscoe), and he did had a good college career. I just felt he was AA material coming in.
Adams carried a bad team so many times. However, the teams he was on were never any good and that bothers me because he will never get the recognition of what a good player he was. He is like the more modern day Earl Kelly without all the dumb stuff Kelly did when he was at UConn.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Drummond - I remember thinking he was going to be like Dwight Howard for us. He had his moments but never truly became the beast I thought he would be.

Purvis - Again had his moments but the Ferrari in the Garage was a bit of a disappointment.

Years ago my wife and I played travel slow pitch softball and went to Georgia for a tourney. We saw Andrew Bynum in a gym working out and chatted with him for a few minutes when he was done. Told him how disappointed we were that he chose the NBA over UConn. He chuckled and said it was a tougher decision than he thought it would be and we took some pics with him. An hour later my team got run ruled in 4 innings and bounced from the tournament. So meeting him was the highlight of the weekend…

Reaction Score
Stanley Robinson
Curtis Kelly
Doug Wiggins

So much so that the cat we got in 2006 is named Stanley Curtis Wiggins - or Scwiggins for short. He's 17 now and still alive. Can't be said for all the guy mentioned above (RIP Stanley)

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Stanley Robinson
Curtis Kelly
Doug Wiggins

So much so that the cat we got in 2006 is named Stanley Curtis Wiggins - or Scwiggins for short. He's 17 now and still alive. Can't be said for all the guy mentioned above (RIP Stanley)

Along the same lines, my cat is named for Jeff Francoeur, who had a great run around that time and then ended up being not very good. But he's a great analyst, and she's a great cat.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
You could list just about any player from 2015 - 2018 which makes me think it wasn't their fault.

Purvis, Hamilton, Larrier, Adams, Enoch and Juwan Durham were here at the wrong time.
We made the tournament in 2016 and lost in the second round fwiw to 1 seeded Kansas. Also won the AAC tournament championship.

Kind of hard to say anything about Enoch and Juwan because they were only here for one year. Them and Vance leaving after one year is a pretty big reason the program caved in like it did.

Reaction Score
We made the tournament in 2016 and lost in the second round fwiw to 1 seeded Kansas. Also won the AAC tournament championship.

Yeah, Jalen Adams miracle shot vs Cincy (when we were a bubble team) gifted Kevin Ollie a fortune. I hope he sends Adams a nice Christmas present every year.

Reaction Score
Kind of hard to say anything about Enoch and Juwan because they were only here for one year. Them and Vance leaving after one year is a pretty big reason the program caved in like it did.

Because they saw what was going on and made a smart decision to leave. Like I said, they were here at the wrong time.

Reaction Score
Tony Robertson and Omar Calhoun are the 2 for me.

Robertson was a key target and just never seemed to rise above a merely decent player.

Calhoun teased us freshman year with an array of mid-range moves; he was scoring effortlessly. I thought he was going to become UConn's version of the type of grown-man's Adrian Dantley type player who torched us over the years, especially Pitt players. Those mid-range guys are still torching us even last year.

But that hip injury ruined it.

I'd also throw Denham Brown's name into this. It's unfair, but I thought Calhoun had scouted himself a bonafide star.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Along the same lines, my cat is named for Jeff Francoeur, who had a great run around that time and then ended up being not very good. But he's a great analyst, and she's a great cat.
It did not help Francoeur came with the nickname "The Natural." I too had high hopes for him but he never materialized for extended periods. I do enjoy him in the booth though.

Reaction Score
Not sure how to put this but what player did you have high expectations for but for whatever reason they did not reach 'your' expectation?

For me I would say Jalen Adams. In high school he was the shizzle (liked him over Briscoe), and he did had a good college career. I just felt he was AA material coming in.
I shudder to think what those teams would have looked like without Jalen Adams.

Reaction Score

Majok

Reaction Score
I was happy to see that. I don't think JC gave him a real chance.
It was just so frustrating watching him at the rim. For someone so big, he struggled mightily putting the ball in the basket

Reaction Score
It’s gotta be Hamilton for me. There were times his freshman year that I thought he’d fit for sure develop into a future lottery pick. Great passing, great rebounding, complete stat sheet stiffer.

I’ll also add in Denham Brown. Great career here for sure - but there were moments his freshman year and especially the start of his sophomore year when he looked like the next “great one.”

Reaction Score
Al Gilbert. He probably would have met my expectatins if he didn't have a series of serious injuries.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom