Too Early? The GameCocks Will Have To Be XL Monday Night! | The Boneyard

Too Early? The GameCocks Will Have To Be XL Monday Night!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Dawn's living through an interesting year too. I thought it would be good to warm up on some coolings news about the birds with claws.

First, I'm looking for Dawn to have this kind of post-game presser again:

An overview: 5 key issues and storylines to watch for Dawn Staley and the Gamecocks in 2019

From which comes this (remeber this is a month+ ago):

"When South Carolina takes a break from conference play to travel to Hartford, Connecticut, on Feb. 11 to face the sport’s preeminent powerhouse, it will almost certainly do so as massive underdogs, not picked by anyone to have a chance.

The Gamecocks have never beaten the Huskies, and this would hardly seem to be the year to change that — USC has been blown out by two top-10 teams at home already, and UConn is back to being the undisputed No. 1 team in the country. Connecticut hasn’t lost at home since March 2013, and it hasn’t lost to a team outside the top 10 since February 2012.

But hopeful Carolina fans can point to the fact that Connecticut has already struggled to put away St. John’s, Oklahoma and California as proof that coach Geno Auriemma’s team is not quite as invincible as in years past. And there’s still more than a month of basketball to be played in which narratives and expectations can change quite a bit.

Losing to Connecticut would say little about how good or bad South Carolina is compared to the rest of college basketball, and nothing can take away the conference success Staley has had over the past half-decade. But as long as UConn remains the standard of excellence in women’s basketball, all great teams and their fans will dream of beating the Huskies."

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
And hi-lites from their last game, a win against Ole Miss 76-42:

Reaction Score
I’ve personally grown much more fond of how Dawn over the last few years. She’s really come into her own as a leader & is well deserving of representing our country as the USA coach.

Also, don’t forget, she has shown no bias against UConn players. Talked very highly of Pheesa & mentioned she was the only player that has ever written her a thank you letter after Team USA sent her home. Sometimes we forget what is most important when “evaluating” these young women.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Dawn blinging it post-game talking the development of her team;

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
I think Dawn has removed any questions about her coaching ability. I have seen her change the teams type of play many times the last few years to fit the personnel, whether it be because of an injury or working in new players. This team has improved from the early season "getting to know each other" quite well. They have a guard advantage over practically any team they will face. They can throw Henderson, Cooper, Cliney, Jackson, Cuevas-Moore, Perry and Harris at you. That's a great group of guards to contend with. They can all score and are up tempo players. Can they beat UCONN...sure...but I am not sure they can this year and on the road. This would be a better contested neutral site game for South Carolina. So I am going with UCONN by double digits....because UCONN has something to prove seeding wise and South Carolina is more concerned with the SEC outcome.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Okay, okay. Dawn is the best thing since the discovery that you could slice bread and make a sandwich! I was hoping for some analysis of how folks see the game going, match ups, etc etc. You know. Real sports talk, a dying phenomenon across all sports and all media.

Reaction Score
Im very excited to announce that my dad got tickets to the S Carolina game! Boy do I love to hate Dawn Staley in the most respectful way! I cannot wait till Monday, my only fear is that its an ESPN game and I have to see Adam Amin!! Well at least I don't have to listen to the broadcast!! I must admit I have not seen SC this year, how do we match up? Should be a close game??

Reaction Score
Im very excited to announce that my dad got tickets to the S Carolina game! Boy do I love to hate Dawn Staley in the most respectful way! I cannot wait till Monday, my only fear is that its an ESPN game and I have to see Adam Amin!! Well at least I don't have to listen to the broadcast!! I must admit I have not seen SC this year, how do we match up? Should be a close game??
If the REAL Uconn shows up, and the odds are great for that to happen, the chickens with claws will lose by significant numbers . If the Cinci Uconn team shows up--The Gamecocks will tear up the floor and go home with the W.
Either is probable. Nothing is written in stone.
Staley has historically treated Uconn kids fairly and kindly. My take on that is Geno helped her along the way to stardom and she is appreciative. Her time with him with USA/Olympics helped her coaching and her visibility, which helps in recruiting.
I have no issues with her winning the SEC (if still possible) and making her way up the NCAA numbers to 1 as long as she doesn't walk on Uconn bodies to get there.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I know Geno likes to boot camp his teams and he's trying to toughen up "the kids today" in Husky Jerseys and he bridals at the suggestion that the lopsided travel schedule this fall and early winter had anything to do with anything, though he conceded it was not ideal, but you have to take quality gamess when you can, yadda yadda. BUT here we are again with a Saturday and Monday game. Gotta play 2 games in 48 hours every round of the NCAA tourney, yadda yadda. It's this 2 day fling that has me concerned.

Yeah, I'm crabby this morning. Got a shot of the new and improved shingles vaccine yesterday and surprised how sore that should muscle is this morning. They warned about it. I thought they were talking about sissies. Nope, started hurting upon injection and just built! Got the other shoulder sore from shoveling and brooming snow for most of a week.

Reaction Score

I'm not sure if you will see Adam on Monday. These past weeks Monday's ESPN main event match has been Debbie Antonelli with Beth Mowens. Adam with Kara and Rebecca has been doing the Thursdays games. Suppose nothing is cast in stone, if ESPN feels this game warrants the top guns then you're stuck with Adam, by the way Guru still waiting for your "stock tips". :rolleyes:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
@RockyMTblue2 I love the passion and commitment here, but take a deep breath and exhale! As I teased poor @MSGRET about his posting of the Temple prognosticating on Thursday, right after our bold statement against “the land of the revolving head coach” ECU team, I have to now agree with him, we should NOT be overlooking today’s game. Call it superstition, Karma, whatever but I must refrain on any likes or additional comments here until after the game today! ;)

Reaction Score
I think that a match up with South Carolina in any year is a good thing win or lose. That type of competition anytime during the season is what UConn needs to hone its skills and no what it is like to compete against vibrant teams.

As a poster said above : "Losing to Connecticut would say little about how good or bad South Carolina is compared to the rest of college basketball, and nothing can take away the conference success Staley has had over the past half-decade. But as long as UConn remains the standard of excellence in women’s basketball, all great teams and their fans will dream of beating the Huskies." "

The key to this paragraph is that UConn has established a standard of excellence in Women's basketball, that all competing teams aspire to. They want what to do what UConn accomplished and probably very few will replicate. This will last forever no matter if UConn slides into mediocrity in the years to come. They will be the standard. And, people in sports entertainment will talk about this for a long time.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I can't imagine a team Dawn wants to beat more than UConn (except maybe Miss St) so we better be ready.

Some of it is the standard of excellence ideal but I think the fact that SC has under-performed in their head to head matchups is the main issue.

Reaction Score
Okay, okay. Dawn is the best thing since the discovery that you could slice bread and make a sandwich! I was hoping for some analysis of how folks see the game going, match ups, etc etc. You know. Real sports talk, a dying phenomenon across all sports and all media.
My take, 3 point shooting no advantage either team, quickness advantage USC, defense no advantage, team dynamics advantage UConn, movitation advantage UConn, and finally home court UConn. IMHO, double digit win for UConn!

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I think South Carolina has more offensive weapons (or has improved skills offensively) this year compared to last year, but I don't think they defend very well.

They played well against Mississippi State because of those weapons and they were shooting 60% until the 4th quarter, but every other aspect favored us.

I don't think they'll take UConn out of their game like Louisville and Baylor did, which is why on paper UConn should win this game.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
@RockyMTblue2 I love the passion and commitment here, but take a deep breath and exhale! As I teased poor @MSGRET about his posting of the Temple prognosticating on Thursday, right after our bold statement against “the land of the revolving head coach” ECU team, I have to now agree with him, we should NOT be overlooking today’s game. Call it superstition, Karma, whatever but I must refrain on any likes or additional comments here until after the game today! ;)

Egad, Darn Good Point BB.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Will be really interested to see if Aliyah Boston shows up for the game on Monday.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I like our matchups with you guys better this year, because this year's team is more capable of scoring in bunches. I worry about rebounding, which is why our quick, strong, freshman rebounding machine, Victaria Saxton will get a lot of minutes on Monday. If she can develop an outside shot, I think she will be a surprise star in the future. I think the matchup this year will be closer than previous years, but a couple of shooters will have to be really hot for the Gamecocks to beat you guys.

Reaction Score
I agree it depends on what version of both teams show up. For South Carolina, will it be the one that showed up against Baylor and Maryland or the one that showed up against Mississippi State and was deadly from behind-the-arc. Same for UConn. If they play the same way they did against the last team from the Carolinas, a double digit win. If they play like they did against Cincy, a much closer game that could go either way.

Reaction Score
I think that a match up with South Carolina in any year is a good thing win or lose. That type of competition anytime during the season is what UConn needs to hone its skills and no what it is like to compete against vibrant teams.

As a poster said above : "Losing to Connecticut would say little about how good or bad South Carolina is compared to the rest of college basketball, and nothing can take away the conference success Staley has had over the past half-decade. But as long as UConn remains the standard of excellence in women’s basketball, all great teams and their fans will dream of beating the Huskies." "

The key to this paragraph is that UConn has established a standard of excellence in Women's basketball, that all competing teams aspire to. They want what to do what UConn accomplished and probably very few will replicate. This will last forever no matter if UConn slides into mediocrity in the years to come. They will be the standard. And, people in sports entertainment will talk about this for a long time.

No question that surpassing Geno before he hangs it up is something that Gamecock fans and I'm sure Coach Staley would really appreciate.

Wouldn't call it a hole in the career if she doesn't though. If Geno hands them up unscathed and Coach goes on to win more titles life will be just fine. But would like to see it. No question it does mean more to beat UCONN on the way right now (I say theoretically, not having seen it happen).

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Will be really interested to see if Aliyah Boston shows up for the game on Monday.
Can’t we ban her for breaking our hearts? I mean I hate seeing my ex at functions, especially when she’s with her new boyfriend who’s shorter, fatter and not as smart as me...:rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Can’t we ban her for breaking our hearts? I mean I hate seeing my ex at functions, especially when she’s with her new boyfriend who’s shorter, fatter and not as smart as me...:rolleyes:
Nah.. UCONN just needs to recruit someone to tangle with her once a year. I believe she will be going up against ONO and Austin this summer for a spot on US U19 team, should be really interesting.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Oh, the irony, tonight I will actually be in Fort Mill, SC watching the game at the Courtyard by Marriott with my Gray UConn T-shirt (I will pretend the game is in Hartford) so in case you hear of any “issues” in SC tomorrow, know that I have always appreciated my fellow BY posters! :eek:

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if you will see Adam on Monday. These past weeks Monday's ESPN main event match has been Debbie Antonelli with Beth Mowens. Adam with Kara and Rebecca has been doing the Thursdays games. Suppose nothing is cast in stone, if ESPN feels this game warrants the top guns then you're stuck with Adam, by the way Guru still waiting for your "stock tips". :rolleyes:

I am happy to help. PM ME

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom