Tonites game Expectations and Question marks. | The Boneyard

Tonites game Expectations and Question marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Alot of questions will be answered tonite and will be over the next 2 months. Where are we at? Tonite we will see who steps up. Gabby Lou are expected. This is a learning experience not only for the players but for the coaches. The Expectations are we're not sure what to expect. Understand this is UConn and kids will step up when the pressure mounts. Saniya CD Collier have been there before. The ole saying when the going gets tuff the tuff get going and thats why theyre at UConn. I expect UConn do win by double digits tonite. FS is a really good team and a team of veterans. However UConns discipline and grit will determine the outcome. This is a game where we will see who steps up. Gabby has done a great job of that if she does it tonite UConn will be fine. Fl St seems to be a team that likes to create their own shot. I dont expect them to have a lot of assists in this game. I also expect Uconn to rebound and run. Its going to be a very interesting game because the expectations fans have are more question marks on what to expect. Let me leave you with this thought. UConn has a bunch of great players. Lou a HS NPOY Dangerfield ranked number 2 in the HS polls. Collier ranked top 5 in the HS polls, Butler BE FOY Saniya a scoring machine in HS Kia an Olympican. The one thing they lack a little of is playing in big games together and with this early schedule that will be taken care of.

Go Huskies

Reaction Score
Like you, Tonyc, I think it's important that Lou and Gabby step up as scoring leaders and that Kia be the floor leader. The only surprise among these three is that Geno has been telling the press that in practice Lou has become far more aggressive under the boards. That would be essential given the competition the next several games. Napheesa looks to be where Gabby was at the start of her sophomore year (which is very good).

Beyond the core 4, the question marks:
  • If Saniya starts, how well will she do?
  • How much and how well will the 3 freshman play? Kyla seemed most advanced in the 2 preseason games, but Geno has praised Crystal's practice the last week, and that could affect Saniya's playing time.
  • For a big line-up, it'll be Natalie/Kyla, and it's Natalie's progress which we all agree is an essential component to success this year.

Reaction Score
Looking for good gritty defense. If they really move their feet and rotate, things will go well. This team has to make foul shots!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Alot of questions will be answered tonite and will be over the next 2 months. Where are we at? Tonite we will see who steps up. Gabby Lou are expected. This is a learning experience not only for the players but for the coaches. The Expectations are we're not sure what to expect. Understand this is UConn and kids will step up when the pressure mounts. Saniya CD Collier have been there before. The ole saying when the going gets tuff the tuff get going and thats why theyre at UConn. I expect UConn do win by double digits tonite. FS is a really good team and a team of veterans. However UConns discipline and grit will determine the outcome. This is a game where we will see who steps up. Gabby has done a great job of that if she does it tonite UConn will be fine. Fl St seems to be a team that likes to create their own shot. I dont expect them to have a lot of assists in this game. I also expect Uconn to rebound and run. Its going to be a very interesting game because the expectations fans have are more question marks on what to expect. Let me leave you with this thought. UConn has a bunch of great players. Lou a HS NPOY Dangerfield ranked number 2 in the HS polls. Collier ranked top 5 in the HS polls, Butler BE FOY Saniya a scoring machine in HS Kia an Olympican. The one thing they lack a little of is playing in big games together and with this early schedule that will be taken care of.

Go Huskies

A wonderful post Tony, I agree with most everything and wait with great anticipation.
For me the questions have little to do with ability, all to do with roles.

When I was in the orchestra business, one of my responsibilities was seating the violins.
We had splendid leaders, splendid communicators of leaders wishes, and splendid followers.

They all performed their role brilliantly if seated in the right position and next to the right person.
But were far less effective if asked to perform a role outside their comfort zone.

There have been very few minutes when any of them, Kia aside, has been required to step up.
One exception was the Texas game, in Bridgeport; with the big three struggling a bit, Phessa came in and in a very few minutes, turned the game around.

The question is...will the new four be comfortable and change their former mind-set ?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know that the team will work really hard...............after that I simply don't know what to expect from this group.................if they shoot well they will most likely win................if not they will struggle................no news there.................I am hoping for a great showing to make a statement to the rest of the elite teams

Reaction Score
As it goes tonight, so goes Thursday, because in a lot of ways this is a dress rehearsal. I'm anxious to see what happens. :eek: It's not just about the score or win/lose. IMO it's about bold confidence and domination..

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Has anyone seen an update on Lou's minor injury from the weekend practice? I believe it was on Saturday that she was reported to have left practice early after stepping on a teammate's foot. She is supposed to be "available" for tonight's game, but that doesn't mean she can be 100% or play huge minutes.

If she doesn't play or plays minimally, I think UConn wins by less than 10 points.

If she plays a normal game and doesn't seem limited (let's say 25-30 minutes), then I think UConn wins by roughly a 20-point margin.

I think all three freshmen have big roles in the victory and play very significant minutes (greater than 15 for all of them).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I expect a strong defensive effort. If Lou is 100% and Romero doesn't play, I think we win by about 85-55. I look for Gabby to dominate and Crystal to amaze.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I expect a strong defensive effort. If Lou is 100% and Romero doesn't play, I think we win by about 85-55. I look for Gabby to dominate and Crystal to amaze.

We often hear game analysts talk about a star athlete "getting into a rhythm." Usually quarterbacks or pitchers when they "get on a roll." And basketball players, too; Stephon Curry leaps to mind.

Remember, it took Moriah a season-plus to find her rhythm, then she took control ("the keys to the Ferarri") over the proceedings. Her team became unbeatable.

Crystal has not yet found her rhythm. But she will. And when she does, she'll know it, her teammates will know it, and even we Boneyarders will know it.

When? Stay tuned.;)

Reaction Score
Has anyone seen an update on Lou's minor injury from the weekend practice? I believe it was on Saturday that she was reported to have left practice early after stepping on a teammate's foot. She is supposed to be "available" for tonight's game, but that doesn't mean she can be 100% or play huge minutes.

If she doesn't play or plays minimally, I think UConn wins by less than 10 points.

If she plays a normal game and doesn't seem limited (let's say 25-30 minutes), then I think UConn wins by roughly a 20-point margin.

I think all three freshmen have big roles in the victory and play very significant minutes (greater than 15 for all of them).

I believe that Samuelson was hurt on Friday and held out the rest of practice but was a full go for the Saturday morning practice.

Reaction Score
For those who have an interest, Uconn is a 17.5 point favorite over Fla St. Romaro status unknown.
Stanford is a 4.5 point favorite over Texas.

Reaction Score
I believe that Samuelson was hurt on Friday and held out the rest of practice but was a full go for the Saturday morning practice.
I watched Doris and Beth interview Geno and saw Katie Lou working out in the background. She looked fine. If anyone hasn't seen the interview, it's pretty good stuff.

Reaction Score
I'm expecting some season-opening jitters from UConn, and expecting FSU to
have a tough time against the Husky defense.

UConn 62 - 49

Reaction Score
I never look forward to the prospect of games quite as much as I normally would if the opponent is not at its best. Romero is a terrific player and a great kid and it is my hope that she magically recovers and can contribute. A potential loss in this game constitutes no deal-breaker for either team, but even if this were a Final Four game I would sincerely lament the absence of a great star for the other guys. FSU is a severely diminished force without Leticia, and that's a shame if she's out.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
Darkness falls across the land. The start of the season is close at hand...

I don't often predict a score, but this one came to me last night:
UCONN - 75
FS WHO? - 59

Huskies unleash the beast... Gabzilla! The jumpin' junior!
Looking for a big night from her!

Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
Like the rest of the boneyard family, I am looking at who( or which players) steps up to take control of the team. I am also looking at which player has that competitive drive. That player(s) that has the heart of a champion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom