tonight | The Boneyard

tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm hoping that Geno doesn't try any junk defense to contain Griner.
Save it for the Final Four. This game is only a barometer game.
Win or lose, it won't define the season.
I'm just looking for a good solid effort on both ends of the floor.
Of course winning is the goal, but a close loss wouldnt hurt us.

OK, I'll cover my face as I absorb the hits ... ready, GO!

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
W-L for sure isn't crucial. Much rather see wins over ND. It would be nice to see a well-played game, with UConn kids showing their best.

Reaction Score

Just wondering what a kind of defense a "junk defense" is and when did the Huskies ever play any kind of "junk defense"?

Reaction Score

You might be right, but I am not sure the Final Four is spot to try something that has not been previously tried and tweeked.

Back in 1985 Georgetown and St. Johns played four memorably outstanding games. After St. Johns won the first contest in Landover, John Thompson pulled out two surprises in the rematch at Madison Square Garden. Prior to the game, with the cameras rolling, Coach Thompson pulled off his sports jacket to reveal the exact same sweater Coach Carnesecca was wearing. There was good hearted laughter all around. then Coach Thompson revealed a totally unexpected defensive wrinkle, the classic box and one; with David Wingate shadowing Chris Mullen all over the court. Georgetown, an already awesome defensive team, took defense to yet another level of intensity and beat St. Johns handily. Georgetown would prevail over St. Johns again in the Big East Championship and in the Final Four using this very effective box and one on Chris Mullin.
If Coach Auriemma wants to experiment with the idea of a junk defense, tonight might be the time to try it. Then tweek it if needed for the Final Four.

Reaction Score
Just wondering what a kind of defense a "junk defense" is and when did the Huskies ever play any kind of "junk defense"?

A junk defense, a term I had never heard until hearing Coach Auriemma use it to describe the defense Notre Dame used against Maya in South Bend in 2008, is a defense other than standard man-to-man and zone defenses, that employes elements of both; Box and one, triangle and two. Defenses that have one or two defenders playing man-to-man against the offensive stars with he rest of the defenders playing zone. These defenses are designed to shut down the opposing players most potent offensive weapon(s); Defenses against which there might not be any scouting or preparation.

UConn employed a very effective man to man against Angel McCoughtry in the Big East Championship game three seasons ago with Kalana Greene and Tiffany Hayes constantly switching as Angel ran the baseline; About as close as I have seen UConn come to employing a junk defense.

Reaction Score
A junk defense, a term I had never heard until hearing Coach Auriemma use it to describe the defense Notre Dame used against Maya in South Bend in 2008, is a defense other than standard man-to-man and zone defenses, that employes elements of both; Box and one, triangle and two. Defenses that have one or two defenders playing man-to-man against the offensive stars with he rest of the defenders playing zone. These defenses are designed to shut down the opposing players most potent offensive weapon(s); Defenses against which there might not be any scouting or preparation.

Thanks for the info. I consider the defenses list as pretty standard stuff but who am I to question Geno. If Geno says a box and one is a junk defense then it's a junk defense. Case closed.
IMO, I don't seeing him do anthing different. At this point in the season, you do what got you there.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping that Geno doesn't try any junk defense to contain Griner. Save it for the Final Four. This game is only a barometer game. Win or lose, it won't define the season. I'm just looking for a good solid effort on both ends of the floor.
Of course winning is the goal, but a close loss wouldnt hurt us. OK, I'll cover my face as I absorb the hits ... ready, GO!
Seriously?! You are worried about what the best college basketball coach is going to do? Call him up and tell him your concerns. I'm sure he would appreciate it. I mean how many times does he get the benefit of advice from someone who knows more about basketball than him. Give the guy a break, set him straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom