Tonight’s (1/27) Committee Reveal?? | The Boneyard

Tonight’s (1/27) Committee Reveal??

Reaction Score
So what seed will UConn be assigned in tonight’s committee reveal at halftime of the ole Miss vs. Scar game? Crem’s bracketology suggests a four seed. UConn should be a 3 with a shot at a two .

This morning’s rankings:
NET - 8th
Massey -8th
RPI - 9th
Coaches Poll - 9th
AP Poll - 10th
Nolan’s ELO - 11th

I just don’t see UConn as a four. To me, they are solidly a top 12 team and almost unquestionably so. BUT - Will politics in the committee cause the to rise to a 2? Or fall to a four? UConn bias or the Muffet factor?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
So what seed will UConn be assigned in tonight’s committee reveal at halftime of the ole Miss vs. Scar game? Crem’s bracketology suggests a four seed. UConn should be a 3 with a shot at a two .

This morning’s rankings:
NET - 8th
Massey -8th
RPI - 9th
Coaches Poll - 9th
AP Poll - 10th
Nolan’s ELO - 11th

I just don’t see UConn as a four. To me, they are solidly a top 12 team and almost unquestionably so. BUT - Will politics in the committee cause the to rise to a 2? Or fall to a four? UConn bias or the Muffet factor?
I don't see UConn as a four, either, but I think their seeding will be contingent on the Tennessee game.

Tonight, I think they are announced as a three seed. If they lose to Tennessee, they'll drop to a four and if they win, they'll climb to a two. Unless there are some major implosions, there is no way they climb any higher.

But, without the injury to Bueckers, UConn is likely (obviously we don't ever know for sure) sitting at 15-1 and is pretty firmly on the one line. The uncertainty of her return is the biggest question mark in seeding because, as has been said before, a UConn team with a healthy Paige is a hilariously terrifying 4 seed for everyone else in the region.

Reaction Score

This morning’s rankings:
NET - 8th
Massey -8th
RPI - 9th
Coaches Poll - 9th
AP Poll - 10th
Nolan’s ELO - 11th

Question:
How can they be considered “solidly and unquestionably” a top 12 team when they are pushed to the limit by an unranked DePaul team and pretty much dominated by unranked Oregon?
Asked by a fan steeped in reality.
(With an open mind)

Reaction Score
I don't see UConn as a four, either, but I think their seeding will be contingent on the Tennessee game.

Tonight, I think they are announced as a three seed. If they lose to Tennessee, they'll drop to a four and if they win, they'll climb to a two. Unless there are some major implosions, there is no way they climb any higher.

But, without the injury to Bueckers, UConn is likely (obviously we don't ever know for sure) sitting at 15-1 and is pretty firmly on the one line. The uncertainty of her return is the biggest question mark in seeding because, as has been said before, a UConn team with a healthy Paige is a hilariously terrifying 4 seed for everyone else in the region.
I don’t see a loss to Tennessee necessarily dropping them to a four if they win out otherwise. Other teams I. The 5-12 current rankings are going to also drop more games. If Tennessee is top 4 ranked when you play, it shouldn’t drop you - much.

Reaction Score
Question:
How can they be considered “solidly and unquestionably” a top 12 team when they are pushed to the limit by an unranked DePaul team and pretty much dominated by unranked Oregon?
(With an open mind)
How is SCar number 1 when the were beaten by an unranked Mizzou?

An Oregon is not unranked team at this time and all humans (selection committee) knows that Oregon was not the same team that suffered early season losses.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Question:
(With an open mind)
Assuming this exercise allows for the consideration of injuries like the real seedings, Oregon is under ranked for their injuries and our loss to OR was without our top 3 scorers. I am not sure what would be the case if CW and Azzi did not play yesterday. A loss would have been very likely and we may not even make the top 16.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

An Oregon is not unranked team at this time and all humans (selection committee) knows that Oregon was not the same team that suffered early season losses.

And, fwiw, the effort they put in Monday night against Utah would have sent UConn home from Eugene with a W.

SC is the overall number one because its quality wins FAR outweigh their singular loss. If Tennessee was undefeated or Louisville didn't choke against NCST, you could argue that either should be the overall #1, but with everyone having losses and SC having the top 10 wins they do, it's hard to argue otherwise right now.

I don’t see a loss to Tennessee necessarily dropping them to a four if they win out otherwise. Other teams I. The 5-12 current rankings are going to also drop more games. If Tennessee is top 4 ranked when you play, it shouldn’t drop you - much.

Without the win against Tennessee, their best wins are against Notre Dame, DePaul, and USF and their losses (assuming they don't slip up in the BE) will be against GT, Oregon, Louisville, Tennessee, and SC. I just don't see enough good in that resume to get them off of the 4 line.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think they're a 4 now
Styymie's logic prevails

But I also think this team (even w/o Paige)
might very well destroy Tennessee...
Looks like the evolution of a Juggernaut

Consider: We have 2 bigs playing very well.
Yesterday brought in a new sharpshooting guard and menace to the hoop
both of which were recently lacking
And we have Caroline and they don't
a fearless guard/wing....height, creativity, toughness...will only get better.

I like the feel of this group even with the 2nd quarter collapse
(which was demonstrably ref assisted)

The next step in their evolution would be to wallop Tennessee (even w/o Paige)
Then we can start dreaming of bigger things.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Question:
(With an open mind)
Answer:
8D9B3C47-1FAB-4BC3-A341-0EDF4ADF541A.jpeg

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I think they're a 4 now
Styymie's logic prevails

But I also think this team (even w/o Paige)
might very well destroy Tennessee...
Looks like the evolution of a Juggernaut

Consider: We have 2 bigs playing very well.
Yesterday brought in a new sharpshooting guard and menace to the hoop
both of which were recently lacking
And we have Caroline and they don't
a fearless guard/wing....height, creativity, toughness...will only get better.

I like the feel of this group even with the 2nd quarter collapse
(which was demonstrably ref assisted)

The next step in their evolution would be to wallop Tennessee (even w/o Paige)
Then we can start dreaming of bigger things.
That would be so great since some of their fans are predicting a 15-20 point win. They are so arrogant, I just hope it is at least close if we can't pull it out. Still, they are the #4 team in the country, so we aren't expected to win.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
That would be so great since some of their fans are predicting a 15-20 point win. They are so arrogant, I just hope it is at least close if we can't pull it out. Still, they are the #4 team in the country, so we aren't expected to win.
Forget rankings.

They're down to one big and she's not particularly physical.
Sometimes foul prone and can be discouraged.

And where (with three guards), I thought we matched up poorly against DePaul
With the 5 now available, I think we match up very well with UTenn

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As a reminder, the 1996-97 Tennessee team had some very nice pieces (the 3 Meeks), suffered some injuries to key players, including their point guard, and went into the NCAA tourney with a mediocre 23-10 record. Six games later, they won their second of three consecutive championships. Could this be a model for UConn to follow?

Reaction Score
Would need a closer look at all the resumes, but I think UConn is in the #10-13 zone.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Though it sickens me to say it, I think the model is the Notre Dame team that was decimated by injuries. The hottest fires make the strongest steel. The adversity that this team has been through, and is going through, is going to temper them for a potential postseason run.

Reaction Score
Would need a closer look at all the resumes, but I think UConn is in the #10-13 zone.
The resume is posted in my original post. In every poll or ranking - human or computer - they are ranked no lower than 11th.

The average ranking is 9.167 and at least one of those (RPI) still considers UNC a top team.

Reaction Score
Massey has Connecticut a slight favorite at home against Tennessee (63%, predicted score 64-60).

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
As a reminder, the 1996-97 , Tennessee suffered some injuries to key players, including their point guard, and went into the NCAA tourney with a mediocre 23-10 record. Six games later, they won their second of three consecutive championships. Could this be a model for UConn to follow?
So are you suggesting that history repeats and someday Paige will return to coach UConn? I like the thought. ;)

Reaction Score
The resume is posted in my original post. In every poll or ranking - human or computer - they are ranked no lower than 11th.

The average ranking is 9.167 and at least one of those (RPI) still considers UNC a top team.
No the resume is more detailed than that, and it requires looking at all the teams. Need to compare and contrast resumes.
Plus most of those ranks you cite are not considered by the committee.
And even the NET ranking itself is less important than things like Q1 record, bad losses, etc

It’s this plus the individual team sheets.

Reaction Score
No the resume is more detailed than that, and it requires looking at all the teams. Need to compare and contrast resumes.
Plus most of those ranks you cite are not considered by the committee.
And even the NET ranking itself is less important than things like Q1 record, bad losses, etc

It’s this plus the individual team sheets.
"Not considered by the committee"

Supposedly, they only consider NET but they do not live in isolation. They are quite aware of the human polls. Indeed, they probably look to other ratings by computers just to see how they line up. Make sure there are no huge inconsistencies of algorithms.

Yes, I'm aware of Nolan's team sheets. They are kinda my "dailies" with coffee. They reveal that some of the teams ranked above UConn have played against horrible competition. Some have played fewer than 10 quad 1 and 2 games! One has a quad 3 loss! Look at those Big Ten team's sheets! SOS is very poor compared to UConn's. (they will improve but not now)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Bad comparison IMO. South Carolina has wins over Stanford, NC State, LSU, UCONN, Duke, Oregon, and Maryland and just 1 loss on the season.

UCONN has 4 losses and just 1 win over a ranked team (#19 Notre Dame). That's not worthy of a top 3 seed IMO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom