Tomorrow | The Boneyard

Tomorrow

Reaction Score
I'm really excited. Feels like this was the longest offseason ever.

Agreed. Probably because so many of us have never experienced a losing season the year prior...

Reaction Score
The redemption tour starts tomorrow.

First victim, Providence. Sorry Mal, you made the wrong decision.

BLEED BLUE!
Given the MAL situation it would be great to get a home and home with PC for the next two years. Would certainly add a little spice to the game.

I don’t hold a grudge for him going to PC as these are young kids that are making very tough choices about the best road to get a big money job at 20 years old. But I would love to beat him 3 years in a row and have him question his decision a bit...

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Preparing to be lambasted...

I envision Cooley going for the jugular, playing his starters 30 minutes, and encouraging them to be as rough with our guys as possible. Ollie, on the other hand, seems likely to be testing different lineups and treating this like an exhibition game. I'm not the first person to have said this, but Cooley smells blood in the water and is looking for every opportunity to be able to market PC as the top program in New England (granted we all know that is not the case, but his customers are 16-17 year old kids...). He's going to be trying as hard as he can to win and run up the score in doing so. I hope our guys come ready to play and aren't hampered by the tinkering and experimentation I feel we are likely to see.

Reaction Score

I envision Cooley going for the jugular, playing his starters 30 minutes, and encouraging them to be as rough with our guys as possible. Ollie, on the other hand, seems likely to be testing different lineups and treating this like an exhibition game. I'm not the first person to have said this, but Cooley smells blood in the water and is looking for every opportunity to be able to market PC as the top program in New England (granted we all know that is not the case, but his customers are 16-17 year old kids...). He's going to be trying as hard as he can to win and run up the score in doing so. I hope our guys come ready to play and aren't hampered by the tinkering and experimentation I feel we are likely to see.
If this was last year I'd agree, but I think (hope) Ollie will be out for blood the entire year, exhibitions or not. It's put up or shut up time and he's backed into a corner. I'd be surprised to see him go down without swinging.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If this was last year I'd agree, but I think (hope) Ollie will be out for blood the entire year, exhibitions or not. It's put up or shut up time and he's backed into a corner. I'd be surprised to see him go down without swinging.

I think that sums up his mindset for the regular season, but the fact that this is an exhibition game gives me pause. You folks want to talk about "targeted strategies" around here...I'd argue that applies perfectly to what Cooley's been doing to us with negative recruiting, tampering, etc. He wants to take UConn down at any possible opportunity and doesn't care whether or not it counts in the record books.

Reaction Score

Over the last three years, they have been the best program in New England. That doesn't mean it's true, but if the roles were reversed, I think we'd be of the same mindset. The UConn program isn't foreign to what Providence is going through now - they had to methodically dig their way out of the cellar, get guys to commit on a leap of faith, and then break through when the stars aligned. They haven't quite got that third part down. Most programs never do. That's why Cooley isn't Calhoun and few are, but I can respect the process that has gotten them to where they are and this is a legitimate match-up again.

As for tomorrow, I thought I heard the opposite from one of the PC posters in that Cooley is barely going to play his starters. That struck me as a chicken ____ move. Given how close we are to the start of the actual season, I think both coaches should treat this as a real game. That doesn't mean we run our guys into the ground, but especially for a team like UConn that has played together so sparingly, having the luxury of simulating a real game environment - against an opponent in the same weight class talent wise that is also older and further along - when we wouldn't have otherwise seen a real team until Thanksgiving is enormous.

Reaction Score
Can sid play?

And when can we expect a decision, regarding his eligibility?

I believe he can play in exhibitions. There's a rule out there that Freshman can play in exhibitions and then red shirt for the year, while upperclassmen cannot. Since this will technically be a red shirt year for him due to the transfer, I think that means he can play in the exhibitions.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm really excited even though this is an exhibition. Seems like last year is all but a distant and bad memory.

Tonight is Senior night for my daughter and her HS volleyball squad. So I'll be watching in the gym on Fox Sports Go through the tears!

Reaction Score
I believe he can play in exhibitions. There's a rule out there that Freshman can play in exhibitions and then red shirt for the year, while upperclassmen cannot. Since this will technically be a red shirt year for him due to the transfer, I think that means he can play in the exhibitions.
Whoah I did not know this.... that would be incredible.

C

Chief00

IDTS - I believe Sid is more of a transfer designation than a FR red shirting - since he attended UNC style Fake Classes at St John’s.

Reaction Score

That's for transfers who are ineligible because of the transfer rule? Or just eligible freshmen who just happen to redshirt after appearing in exhibitions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom