Tom Milone | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tom Milone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Milone taken by Rays in the 3rd round, 97th overall.

Does he stay or go?

Reaction Score
Milone taken by Rays in the 3rd round, 97th overall.

Does he stay or go?

Tough call... that spot has an assigned value of $530,600. How much can he improve his draft stock by going to UConn?

Reaction Score
Tough call... that spot has an assigned value of $530,600. How much can he improve his draft stock by going to UConn?
Well UConn has had guys go in the 1st round, which is where the real slotted money is in the MLB draft. Who knows. I suppose TB could underpay higher draft picks and bump up Milone's slot amount a little bit to entice him if he's on the fence

Reaction Score
Well UConn has had guys go in the 1st round, which is where the real slotted money is in the MLB draft. Who knows. I suppose TB could underpay higher draft picks and bump up Milone's slot amount a little bit to entice him if he's on the fence

Yup... "Milone, who played football as well as center field in baseball at Masuk High in Monroe, is committed to UConn to play baseball, but being selected this high in the draft could change his plans. The "slot value" for the 97th pick is $530,000, but the Rays, who have an allotment of $6.7 million to spend on bonuses for its draft picks could go higher to entice a high school player from going to college."

http://www.courant.com/sports/baseball/hc-mlb-amateur-draft-0608-20130607,0,3293959.story

Rays first round draft pick @ #21 is slotted for $1.9m

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Yup... "Milone, who played football as well as center field in baseball at Masuk High in Monroe, is committed to UConn to play baseball, but being selected this high in the draft could change his plans. The "slot value" for the 97th pick is $530,000, but the Rays, who have an allotment of $6.7 million to spend on bonuses for its draft picks could go higher to entice a high school player from going to college."

http://www.courant.com/sports/baseball/hc-mlb-amateur-draft-0608-20130607,0,3293959.story

Rays first round draft pick @ #21 is slotted for $1.9m

The Rays 1st round pick was a HS catcher...someone who will probably sign for a little below slotted money. The bigger influence on Milone's offer will be what TB does with the 1st round comp pick Ryne Stanek. He is a stud pitcher from Arkansas who was a Junior -- and will probably demand much more than his slotted amount...and has the leverage he will need with the option to go back to Arkansas for his Senior year (ala Appell this year).

I suspect that if TB signs Stanek, they will have to do it much higher than the slotted amount is for...and thus would have much less to throw at Milone. However, if they don't sign Stanek, then they will have the extra money to entice Milone to sign.

Reaction Score
AmoreCourant 3:23pm via Web
Just spoke w/Thomas Milone. "my heart dropped into my stomach and my family freaked out" when he got the call from the Rays ...

AmoreCourant 3:23pm via Web
Rays and Yankees had shown most interet in Thomas Milone, according to his HS coach.

AmoreCourant 3:24pm via Web
Thomas Milone followed #UConnbaseball closely in NCAA. "I was impressed, but I never doubted the program. Knew it was a great program."

AmoreCourant 3:25pm via Web
Thomas Milone said he "has no idea" what he will do. "will just let things happen." #uconnbaseball #rays

Reaction Score
It would be surprising if they have made an actual dollar offer this soon.

Not really... The #Nationals have agreed to terms with RHP Jake Johansen, their top selection (68th overall) in the 2013 First-Year Player Draft.

Reaction Score
Most teams have talked money with players. Which kids are signable under slot, to be able to toss more money around to others. Would love to see him at UConn, but that's a lot of coin to turn down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom