Tom Izzo - High Hedge | The Boneyard

Tom Izzo - High Hedge

Reaction Score
We all agree Tom Izzo is a great college basketball coach whose strength is getting his teams to play tough, hard nosed defense. I watched quite a bit of the Michigan St vs Michigan game today and was shocked to see such a highly regarded defensive wizard like Tom Izzo employ the high hedge. There are people here who would consider this to be the philosophy of an idiot. I wonder what the MSU fans think of this nonsensical idea.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone reasonable thinks a high hedge is an idiotic defense. It's one of a few different pick and roll defenses we should be throwing at teams based on each of our personnel. There are times aren't flexible enough with our coverages and teams exploit that.

When we high hedge well it's usually more of an "ice". High hedge doesn't work so well directly at the top of the key because there's options on both sides to pass to. When we force to the (usually) left side with the hedge, it makes the rotations much easier on the defense.

Also half the time someone complains about a high hedge on here, it wasn't even a high hedge. This board is full of dufuses (such as myself).

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
is it just me or did we / Sanogo use it a lot less in the second half ?

Seemed to help a ton (using less), a lot less pick and rolls leading to help side fouls, which have often killed both Ajax, Alex, and adama (diving back).

Not saying never use, but it should not be the majority of defensive positions with picks at top of key.

Reaction Score
Players are doing what Shabazz used to do to teams that used it against us in 2014, and that is: when the big guy dives back into the lane, Shabazz used to use him as a screener on his drive to the hoop.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone reasonable thinks a high hedge is an idiotic defense. It's one of a few different pick and roll defenses we should be throwing at teams based on each of our personnel. There are times aren't flexible enough with our coverages and teams exploit that.

When we high hedge well it's usually more of an "ice". High hedge doesn't work so well directly at the top of the key because there's options on both sides to pass to. When we force to the (usually) left side with the hedge, it makes the rotations much easier on the defense.

Also half the time someone complains about a high hedge on here, it wasn't even a high hedge. This board is full of dufuses (such as myself).
Would it be a bad idea to ask what dufuses means?

Reaction Score
If Dan Hurley posted on the boneyard.com, we could trust his PnR defensive coverages. The boneyard.com posters are experts in the matter.
According to some, he (or a coach) does post on the boneyard. Just can’t remember which user everyone suspected it was Lol.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
According to some, he (or a coach) does post on the boneyard. Just can’t remember which user everyone suspected it was Lol.
I’d love to know who people think it is.

Reaction Score

Tom is on here. Not sure about any other coaches.

Reaction Score
Would it be a bad idea to ask what dufuses means?
Alternate (wrong?) spelling of doofuses. Synonyms: dummies, numbskulls, dopes, dullards

Apparently it is an alternate spelling of "doofus." I've always spelled it "doofus" but was using speech to text and that's what it chose, I think. I guess we learn something every day. One step closer to not being a "dufus" lol

Reaction Score
is it just me or did we / Sanogo use it a lot less in the second half ?

Seemed to help a ton (using less), a lot less pick and rolls leading to help side fouls, which have often killed both Ajax, Alex, and adama (diving back).

Not saying never use, but it should not be the majority of defensive positions with picks at top of key.

We did it more in this game than we did in the previous two. Against Xavier in particular Sanogo would just drift horizontally and guard neither the ball handler nor the screener. Yesterday he stepped out quickly and just enough to disrupt the path of the dribbler and then recovered.

Creighton has lived off of lobs to Kalkbrenner and slips/fake screens. They got next to nothing off of that action yesterday.

Reaction Score

I stumbled upon this video last year before our tourny game with NMSU. Their coach, Chris Jans, is now at Miss St and has a top 15 defense this year in his first year at a high major. He does a ridiculously good job explaining their pick and roll defense philosophy (and especially how they mix up their coverages).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom