Todd Orlando's (Utah State) Defense | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Todd Orlando's (Utah State) Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Same here. So maybe the real question that I should have posed to the 'Yard is "How 'married' is Diaco to the 3-4?" I wonder if he found a quality DC like Orlando if he would allow the new DC to implement his own vision, or if he is simply going to only interview people that fall into the Parcells-ideology...

Here is his statement to What's Good? Who is now going with What's going on?

We’re not a 3-4 defense. I mean we base out of and fundamentally teach in and begin in that concept because it’s the top way to talk about fundamentals, it’s the top defense to talk about the fundamentals of playing defense,” Diaco said. “If you scouted my defenses they’;re 50-50. We’re in four-down [linemen] and three-down, 50-50. If we played 900 plays I’d bet 500 of them were actually four down and 400 we;re probably three down…It was probably tilted the other way, so I think people see me as a 3-4 guy because of my affiinity and affection towards it but the game isn’t conducted like that.”

Reaction Score
NHR Chip Malafronte agrees - from today's Sunday Gravy column:

>>• Bob Diaco is surely well into the process of filling out his UConn football coaching staff — only offensive line coach Mike Foley was retained from the old regime. Might Todd Orlando, a 12-year assistant in Storrs under Randy Edsall, be interested in returning? He finished his first season at Utah State in style by clamping down on Northern Illinois and its Heisman Trophy finalist quarterback, Jordan Lynch, in Thursday’s Poinsetta Bowl. Orlando did magnificent work during his six seasons at the head of UConn’s defense, and would be a welcome addition.<<

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
NHR Chip Malafronte agrees - from today's Sunday Gravy column:

>>• Bob Diaco is surely well into the process of filling out his UConn football coaching staff — only offensive line coach Mike Foley was retained from the old regime. Might Todd Orlando, a 12-year assistant in Storrs under Randy Edsall, be interested in returning? He finished his first season at Utah State in style by clamping down on Northern Illinois and its Heisman Trophy finalist quarterback, Jordan Lynch, in Thursday’s Poinsetta Bowl. Orlando did magnificent work during his six seasons at the head of UConn’s defense, and would be a welcome addition.<<

I'm starting to get the feeling that our in-state journalists read the Boneyard... ;)

Reaction Score
Todd's looking like he's been eating well.

Just saying

What a great way to open an interview. LOLOL. Hi Todd, haven't seen you in a while, you've been eating well.

Wouldn't hurt to kick the tires on Orlando, if for no other reason to figure out what actually happened in how he left UCONN after the Fiesta and make sure that there aren't any bridges there in the coaching world that need to be mended. I really would be surprised if Orlando were to return to UConn, but he does seem to have the qualities that would fit with what Diaco is doing so far. But who knows - if it would be a fit - it would be a fit.

Orlando is a top notch recruiter, and I've seen his work in breaking down an offense and finding ways to stop them up close. I guarantee this guy has a copy of Steve Belichick's book that's worn out and in tatters and uses what he learned out of there all the time.

He's not the only defensive mind out there that fits the profile of what UCONN needs though, based on what Diaco has done so far.

Reaction Score
Indiana: A source tells CoachingSearch that Kevin Wilson reached out to Utah State defensive coordinator Todd Orlando, but Orlando declined the interview opportunity at Indiana.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Indiana: A source tells CoachingSearch that Kevin Wilson reached out to Utah State defensive coordinator Todd Orlando, but Orlando declined the interview opportunity at Indiana.

That just confirms that he's a smart guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom