Todd Orlando's (Utah State) Defense | The Boneyard

Todd Orlando's (Utah State) Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
They are putting on a clinic. They've held a Northern Illinois team to 7 points deep in the fourth quarter of their bowl game; a team that is averaging over 40 a game. The Utah State defensive rankings are: 14th overall, 7th in scoring defense. Impressive stuff from the former UConn coach.

So I'll pose the obvious question: Does anyone believe that he might be on Diaco's radar? Or is his difference in styles, etc., prevent him from being a DC candidate here? (again)

Reaction Score
I don't think it will happen, but he's got a ton of experience, knows UConn, and seems to have done a great job in his first year at Utah State.

He also might be one of the few people that could look Diaco in the eye, and say "give me the job, or i'll punch you in the face." and actually get the job.

512ef1459423d.image.jpg

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Was able to watch here in Rio on ESPN+ (whooppee!). It was an impressive performance by the Utah State D. Had no idea Orlando is a coach there. Well done!

Reaction Score
Why wouldn't he be on the radar? He's been successful, knows UConn and the recruiting areas and can obviously coach. Give him an interview

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Why wouldn't he be on the radar? He's been successful, knows UConn and the recruiting areas and can obviously coach. Give him an interview

The first reason I came up with as to why he might not be on the radar is the fact that Diaco favors a defense that spends a fair amount of time in the 3-4. I'm not sure that's something that Orlando would be amenable to. It's certainly not something he showed here at UConn. So it might affect whether or not Orlando would be interested in even talking (and vice versa).

Still, results are results, and Todd Orlando has plenty of them to show for himself. Would be interesting to see if the man is offered a chance to "come back home"...

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
I'll admit, I didn't know much about coach Orlando's background until I looked it up this morning. It sure sounds like he'd be an excellent DC candidate, at least on paper.

Orlando had a 12-year stint at the University of Connecticut, including six seasons (2005-10) as the defensive coordinator. Orlando had coached Connecticut's inside linebackers since the 1999 season and, in 2005, he also assumed the role of defensive coordinator. In 2010, Orlando's defense helped the Huskies capture the Big East Championship and play in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl.

In his first year as defensive coordinator at Connecticut in 2006, the Huskies led the Big East Conference in total defense, ranking seventh in the nation. The team's 297.1 yards allowed per game was its best since 1979. In 2007, Connecticut won the Big East Championship behind the nation's 10th-ranked passing efficiency defense and the 14th best scoring defense allowing 19.0 points per game.

In 2008, the Connecticut defense was ranked sixth in the country and among the national leaders in most major categories, including ninth in passing defense, 15th in interceptions and 22nd in scoring defense.

Orlando was a three-year letter winner at inside linebacker at Wisconsin and a member of the 1994 Big Ten Championship team that defeated UCLA in the Badgers' first Rose Bowl appearance since 1963. At Wisconsin, Orlando played under head coach Barry Alvarez, while his UW defensive coordinator, Dan McCarney, has since had a successful run as head coach at Iowa State. Orlando, a native of Pittsburgh, Pa., earned his bachelor's degree in agricultural economics from Wisconsin in 1994

Reaction Score
The first reason I came up with as to why he might not be on the radar is the fact that Diaco favors a defense that spends a fair amount of time in the 3-4. I'm not sure that's something that Orlando would be amenable to. It's certainly not something he showed here at UConn. So it might affect whether or not Orlando would be interested in even talking (and vice versa).

Still, results are results, and Todd Orlando has plenty of them to show for himself. Would be interesting to see if the man is offered a chance to "come back home"...
Dan, that's the only reason I have. 3-4 roughly 50% of the time might not be attractive to him.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Dan, that's the only reason I have. 3-4 roughly 50% of the time might not be attractive to him.

Same here. So maybe the real question that I should have posed to the 'Yard is "How 'married' is Diaco to the 3-4?" I wonder if he found a quality DC like Orlando if he would allow the new DC to implement his own vision, or if he is simply going to only interview people that fall into the Parcells-ideology...

Reaction Score
Same here. So maybe the real question that I should have posed to the 'Yard is "How 'married' is Diaco to the 3-4?" I wonder if he found a quality DC like Orlando if he would allow the new DC to implement his own vision, or if he is simply going to only interview people that fall into the Parcells-ideology...
Thought Diaco said he runs it ~50% of the time. Don't think that's going to change. Would like to see some coordinators named before the new year though

Reaction Score
When Randy left, Orlando and Richardson were probably our greatest losses.

I think Orlando and Diaco would have a clash of systems. Personally, I would love to see Orlando as a DC at Top 25 program and parlay that into HC job somewhere.

Reaction Score
He's a Hell of a Coach.

He would have done a far better job than Pasqualoni. He's smart, fiery, energetic and has a get it don attiude that is infectious.

I think in a lot of ways, he would be a great fit here with Diaco.

Reaction Score
Orlando has proven he has the ability to create a hugely successful defensive scheme. I highly doubt he would be open to becoming a DC under a HC who's defensive scheme is NOT what Orlando has practiced.

HCBD will probably bring in a DC who is up and coming and is willing to teach what HCBD tells him to teach.

Orlando may have gotten himself a HC gig after last night's game. If not this year, next year.

Reaction Score
They definitely played against each other on the field
Orlando Wisconsin 90-94
Diaco Iowa 92-95

Reaction Score
They are putting on a clinic. They've held a Northern Illinn the fourth quarter of their bowl game; a team that is averaging over 40 a game. The Utah State defensive rankings are: 14th overall, 7th in scoring defense. Impressive stuff from the former UConn coach.

So I'll pose the obvious question: Does anyone believe that he might be on Diaco's radar? Or is his difference in styles, etc., prevent him from being a DC candidate here? (again)

Isn't Orlando currently running a base 3-4 at Utah State? According to this article it seems he kept a lot of the D leftover from Gary Anderson before he left for Wisconsin last year.

Of course the chances of HCBD considering Todd Orlando have got to be pretty slim.

http://m.deseretnews.com/top/1902/1...reaking-down-the-Cougar-offense-vs-Aggie.html

Reaction Score
Orlando has proven he has the ability to create a hugely successful defensive scheme. I highly doubt he would be open to becoming a DC under a HC who's defensive scheme is NOT what Orlando has practiced.

HCBD will probably bring in a DC who is up and coming and is willing to teach what HCBD tells him to teach.

Orlando may have gotten himself a HC gig after last night's game. If not this year, next year.

Someone told me years ago, he wasn't the type to want to be a head coach. I questioned it then, and I still do.

Reaction Score
He should have replaced Edsall.
I LOVE what Coach Orlando did at UConn and would be ecstatic if we got him back here to be our DC, but having been around him at coaching clinics, I don't think he is the sort of person who wants to be a HC, or at the very least I don't think he would want to deal with all the BS stuff that goes along with being a HC at a high level. My personal take after spending several hours talking football with him at coaching clinics is that, in his case, some of the same reasons he was a great position coach who was well liked are some of the same reasons he would not be a desirable HC from an AD's perspective.

I'm not saying this as a knock on him-not at all. Actually, as a long-time assistant football coach myself, I almost consider my perspective to be a compliment. He is just a smart, tough, hard-working coach who loves football and loves coaching kids. He kind of makes me think of a good teacher that would make a good principal, but who also has ZERO desire to be a principal because of all the other "stuff" that takes away from why they became a teacher in the first place.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Isn't Orlando currently running a base 3-4 at Utah State? According to this article it seems he kept a lot of the D leftover from Gary Anderson before he left for Wisconsin last year.

Of course the chances of HCBD considering Todd Orlando have got to be pretty slim.

http://m.deseretnews.com/top/1902/1...reaking-down-the-Cougar-offense-vs-Aggie.html

Great find! I suppose I was judging his defensive system based on what he was accustomed to doing at UConn (with the "Husky" linebacker, etc.). I should have done a little more homework on his work this year with Utah State! That says to me that the chances of an Orlando return are not nearly as slim as I had originally imagined... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom