Todd Orlando may be moving on up | The Boneyard

Todd Orlando may be moving on up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Regardless of his decision it's nice to see his work and results being noticed and recognized.

He got plenty of good publicity during bowl game.

Reaction Score
The game plan he put together for the Papa John's bowl against South Carolina in Birmingham was awesome. It left the Gamecock fans in the stadium that day speechless. Too bad Edsall didn't let him open it up like that more often.

Reaction Score
Orlando went to school at Wisconsin. But as mentioned he draws a half-a-million a year paycheck.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
The only way Todd Orlando is comig back here is as the Head Coach one day. Which would bother me not at all

That was my round about point. Wisconsin not paying coordinators over $700k is sad for a program of their stature. Theyve done well, but you can lose coach g talent like that.

Reaction Score
So here was a UConn guy we knew and was respected. Why did we choose DC Bob Diaco over DC Todd Orlando? Was he ever in the mix? I simply can't recall.

Reaction Score
So here was a UConn guy we knew and was respected. Why did we choose DC Bob Diaco over DC Todd Orlando? Was he ever in the mix? I simply can't recall.

He was @ Utah State as first year DC and never heard his name come up outside of here...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
With all due respect Nos, Orlando did some nice things here and has shown in other (all lower profile than UConn) programs that he is a solid defensive coordinator. The guy we hired won an award for being (in the opinion of those who voted) the top assistant coach in college football, was the defensive coordinator on two different teams that a) finished their regular seasons in the top 5 and b) went into their bowl games undefeated (and for the record, each was playing much better competition than Florida Atlantic University or Utah State was facing throughout their seasons).

I don't get this vendetta that you have against Diaco at the moment but you are getting perilously close to moving outside reality. Yes we do have some very talented players. The problem is that we are extremely thin in some areas. What makes this more difficult is that where we are weakest (offensive line) is an area that is difficult, if not impossible to hide with smoke, mirrors or creativity.

Beyond this, with any methodology of measuring success, our current staff (Diaco on down) has achieved more than any reasonable fan could have anticipated to date. I don't see how someone can view themselves as reasonable and objective when he makes a statement such as "Why did we choose DC Bob Diaco over DC Todd Orlando?"

Reaction Score
Wouldn't it require Orlando, or his agent, to express some an interest in being a head coach anywhere? At some point, IIRC rumors or purported news reports suggested Orlando may prefer remaining a coordinator versus taking on a head coach's added program-fronting responsibilities, e.g., fundraising, media, etc.?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Nos sees potential and says "that's how good they are!" without them having proved it first.

Reaction Score
I don't understand this vendetta you have against Diaco. I don't see how someone can view themselves as reasonable and objective when he makes a statement such as "why did we choose DC Bob Diaco over DC Todd Orlando?"

I don't have a vendetta against Diaco. I understand we've improved under his leadership. I don't approve of how he's handled the offense. I'm certainly not alone and we've gone over this many threads before. Next year will provide the proof. Hopefully, Bob and Frank will fix it. As for Todd Orlando, I'm not suggesting we should have preferred him, I'm simply wondering whether he was considered given all the accolades he's getting now. It was a question not an indictment of our selection.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't have a vendetta against Diaco. I understand we've improved under his leadership. I don't approve of how he's handled the offense. I'm certainly not alone and we've gone over this many threads before. Next year will provide the proof. Hopefully, Bob and Frank will fix it. As for Todd Orlando, I'm not suggesting we should have preferred him, I'm simply wondering whether he was considered given all the accolades he's getting now. It was a question not an indictment of our selection.
I am confident that we will be much further along offensively in 2016 than this past season but I also believe that we will be nowhere near the staff wants us to be for at least another year or two. For the most part I see a lot of what we saw this past season but with more of how we performed against ECU and less of how we fared against Temple. I imagine we will hear a lot of the same griping from posters (you included) that we don't open it up enough but I am very confident that in terms of the big picture the staff is doing this the right way.

Reaction Score
Nostical said:

I'd live Orlando as DC. Don't want him to run my offense either.

Reaction Score
I am confident that we will be much further along offensively in 2016 than this past season but I also believe that we will be nowhere near the staff wants us to be for at least another year or two. For the most part I see a lot of what we saw this past season but with more of how we performed against ECU and less of how we fared against Temple. I imagine we will hear a lot of the same griping from posters (you included) that we don't open it up enough but I am very confident that in terms of the big picture the staff is doing this the right way.

I agree that the staff is doing it the right way. However since so many are coming back with a year of maturity under their belts (and all that entails) I think we are going to be notably better. I'm right now predicting a 9-3 regular season and a loss at Houston in the AAC championship game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I'm okay with 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense. Unfortunately that phrase was regarding three yards per play not per series.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'd live Orlando as DC. Don't want him to run my offense either.

This is how I feel about it, too.

Yes, I've questioned the defensive strategy at times with the way that we have used our corners, but the defensive performance over the entire season has been great. Can't complain overall. And there's no reason to believe that Orlando would run a better offense than Diaco or that he would identify a better OC. So...let's go, Diaco!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom