Today's Uconn in game announcers | The Boneyard

Today's Uconn in game announcers

Reaction Score
But other people do need or desire the human interest things. I like them while I get to watch the obvious. What frustrates me is when it overpowers the game and comes in place of knowing who the fouls are on or who is coming into the game type things.

Reaction Score
This particular game coverage was better than most nowadays. But ...

I grew up with the classic: you had a play-by-play announcer and one or more color commentators. Sure, when there was rapor (natural or forced) the p-b-p would interact but there was never an issue as to where the focus of that person was: the game. When someone might go off on a tangent or some story they would cut off, even mid-sentence, when something happened that needed to be reported.

That started changing decades ago, but the degradation was slow. Lately it's disintegrating; games in all sports are becoming unlistenable.

I don't know whether networks focus-group or poll on this stuff, but I have to believe they'd learn pretty quickly that people watch games for the games and not this mindless irrelevant chatter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not to be intentionally contrarian, but I wish the announcers would just stick to calling the game, who made the basket, who committed the foul, etc. instead of talking about Lobo.
I totally agree but unfortunately the network usually has a prepared script of topics that need to be interjected into the broadcast at some point. The days of actually describing only the game action are a thing of the past.

Reaction Score
These commentators talk too much about other factors than the game. They remind me of Tony Romo, who I actually turn off.

Reaction Score
I felt just the opposite. One of the two of them (couldn’t tell who) mangled the English language.

Reaction Score
Announcing went south when ESPN started doing games and went for the "cute" or 'Funny" lines! Like Sport Center!
Now most games are more social than reporting the action! Looks into the stands at WHO is there instead of focusing on the game itself! IMHO!

Reaction Score
Not to be intentionally contrarian, but I wish the announcers would just stick to calling the game, who made the basket, who committed the foul, etc. instead of talking about Lobo.
Thank you....
Yak, yak, yak about everything but the game. No attack on the OP but it gets ridiculous. At least three whistles today never got explained because they were not talking the game but their conversation. Possible second foul on Olivia was a stoppage and officials going to the monitor before they even woke up on who the foul might be on. The yak / ramble seems to be more important than actual game time information.

It is so obvious they are into their individual notes of player bios and team histories they actually forget what we may not hear or see. Thank you to those that will tell me to mute them, save it. I do depending on the time lapse between the TV and radio broadcast. Should not be needed though.

Reaction Score
Doesn't make someone a good announcer. Jason Witten, Booger McFarland and even Joe Montana who wasn't comfortable criticizing players.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
These commentators talk too much about other factors than the game. They remind me of Tony Romo, who I actually turn off.
Romo actually calls out what the next play will be, by formation who will be open and is correct most if the time.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
You guys are so critical, its humorous. We have had so many bad announcers this year, but yesterday I enjoyed Lisa and Sarah. Yes, they talk about other things, but who do you know who doesn't. Outside of SNY, I think they were the best we've had this year. I'm happy that they will be doing todays game.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I like Lisa. She also announces volleyball. I am not familiar with the other announcer.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Did the ignore thread button all of a sudden disappear. All I see are the buttons below?

1615217984986.png

Today, I would not mind using it on a few threads. :(:(

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I never got a reply to my mailed (not E) letter to ESPN

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads