Today's First Practice | The Boneyard

Today's First Practice

Reaction Score
Figured I'd start its own thread.

First up, Sanogo looking good.

“We’re going to play through Adama,” coach Dan Hurley said Tuesday after the UConn men’s basketball team completed the first of its 30 practices. “He’s our best player. When you see what the guy does daily, he’s a special player, a burgeoning great player. That’s a man on a mission.”

Alternate free link: As UConn begins practice, big man Adama Sanogo looked upon to become a centerpiece player

Reaction Score
Next up, Corey Floyd, Jr.

Freshman Corey Floyd Jr., who reclassified from the Class of 2022 to 2021 about a month ago, could see some minutes this season.

“Corey’s a baller,” Hurley said. “He’s very advanced, in terms of his approach. He’s very professional, very serious. So he’s kind of blown us all away with how mature he’s been in practice. We want to put him in a position by the end of this year where we feel like he can really help us the following year.”

Free access article from the Register:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"It's fun," Whaley said about dealing with expectations. "It's a different feeling than when you're coming into a season and people don't care about you. ... Now people are like, look out for UConn now, so it's a different feeling. We still feel like we're underdogs and we've got that chip on our shoulder."

Alternate free link: UConn men take first official step to get ready for 2021-22 basketball season

Reaction Score
Have the full press conference videos been posted anywhere?

Reaction Score
Lets Go Sport GIF by AVP Pro Beach Volleyball Tour

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

“We’re going to play through Adama,” coach Dan Hurley said Tuesday after the UConn men’s basketball team completed the first of its 30 practices. “He’s our best player. When you see what the guy does daily, he’s a special player, a burgeoning great player. That’s a man on a mission.”

Alternate free link: As UConn begins practice, big man Adama Sanogo looked upon to become a centerpiece player
of course he is, and, of course we will.
all big east rookie team.
big east all-tournament team.

'
UConn's Adama Sanogo left Mali at 15 not knowing English and without family. He's found a home on the basketball court.'

even when he got that 'medal' in summer practice, you could see his attitude was like 'whatever. just get me back onto the courts, under the lights, so i can show the stuff that's gettin me paid.'
the hungriest of huskies. luv it. sunoco a gogo.

'That’s a man on a mission.” coach dan.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

If he can flirt with a double double most nights we're a dangerous team. If he can score 14+ on decent effeciency... we are a VERY dangerous team. Especially if he passes halfway decent

Reaction Score
Freshman Corey Floyd Jr., who reclassified from the Class of 2022 to 2021 about a month ago, could see some minutes this season.

“Corey’s a baller,” Hurley said. “He’s very advanced, in terms of his approach. He’s very professional, very serious. So he’s kind of blown us all away with how mature he’s been in practice. We want to put him in a position by the end of this year where we feel like he can really help us the following year.”

Free access article from the Register:
Is it just me or does Borges' takeaway in the first paragraph not line up with Hurley's comments right after?

Reaction Score
Is it just me or does Borges' takeaway in the first paragraph not line up with Hurley's comments right after?
Yeah I was thinking the same. I was hesitant to highlight that quote because of that. Unless Hurley said more than that about Corey. I guess we need to watch the entire media availability above to see.

Reaction Score

Someone should tell Crispino to just take off the mask. Unless he breathes through his chin. Lol

What's up with the video past the 11:15 mark? Mine just stopped working after that.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

'I've never felt comfortable with a coach declaring outright "he is our best player." Maybe for an individual game, but it's a dumb thing to say.

Reaction Score
'I've never felt comfortable with a coach declaring outright "he is our best player." Maybe for an individual game, but it's a dumb thing to say.
Was Bouknight our best player last season? Of course he was. Hurley sees these guys on a daily basis. If he says Sanogo is our best player, it's a very believable statement.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Yeah I was thinking the same. I was hesitant to highlight that quote because of that. Unless Hurley said more than that about Corey. I guess we need to watch the entire media availability above to see.
I am very impressed and even surprised by those comments by Hurley. Maturity including drive along with talent is special for a young player. I was pretty shocked by Sanogo's performance as a freshman;
that seriousness reminded me of one other player in the past in terms of attitude and maturity.

Okafor.

Not comparing Floyd to them as far as talent but I am really going to enjoy watching him when the lights go on. This is the kid that wants to play NOW and he seems to have gotten DH's ear.
In game player rotations are going to be a challenge for DH but boy do we have depth and competition. The kid must be bringing it in practices.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Couldn't disagree more. If there's a clear alpha put it out there so everyone knows where they stack up against the top dog.

From Cliff, to Smitty, Donyell, Ray, Emeka, Caron, Kemba to Bazz there were clear top dogs and saying it shoulndn't make anyone uneasy about it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I suspect everything is done for a reason whether it is building Adama's confidence or motivating others. I wouldn't read too much into it.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I suspect everything is done for a reason whether it is building Adama's confidence or motivating others. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Ive coached since 1988. No good has ever come from telling the press that one player is better than all others, and it does nothing to motivate.

Saying a player was better in a particular game, or a small stretch of games, perhaps.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom