Toby Fournier Chooses Duke | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Toby Fournier Chooses Duke

Reaction Score
There was a question in some peoples' minds about the legitimacy of the twitter account that was attributed to her father. I suspect Toby's selection of school lends legitimacy to the tweet.

Reaction Score
So, we can get Toby out of the portal after she decides she doesn't like Kara. :D
Hard pass. We want the type of player who wants to be at UConn not someone who decides later on. It’s a specific kind of kid who goes to Connecticut one with an exceptional work ethic .We want the type of player who wants to be at UConn not someone who decides later on. It’s a specific kind of kid who goes to Connecticut one with an exceptional work ethic. And they desire to be the best they can. Connecticut has proven its ability to make players the best they’ve ever been. Over the years of watching women’s basketball, I am seeing top recruits, go to other programs and never really progress to a top-tier player. I’d rather see the player who wants Connecticut and watch them develop overtime on the Gino and staff. Connecticut has shown that they prepare their players better than anyone else may be a little sour grapes but I hope she does well with her choice.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Hard pass. We want the type of player who wants to be at UConn not someone who decides later on. It’s a specific kind of kid who goes to Connecticut one with an exceptional work ethic .We want the type of player who wants to be at UConn not someone who decides later on. It’s a specific kind of kid who goes to Connecticut one with an exceptional work ethic. And they desire to be the best they can. Connecticut has proven its ability to make players the best they’ve ever been. Over the years of watching women’s basketball, I am seeing top recruits, go to other programs and never really progress to a top-tier player. I’d rather see the player who wants Connecticut and watch them develop overtime on the Gino and staff. Connecticut has shown that they prepare their players better than anyone else may be a little sour grapes but I hope she does well with her choice.
I don't know about that it seemed to workout well with Dorka and Lou. If someone wants to come to UConn after their Freshman or Sophomore year and they fit UConn's needs and are approved by the coaches and players, I say why not.

Reaction Score
Evina Westbrook Hoopgurlz #2 passed on UConn out of high school…

sun

Reaction Score
IMO Toby made the perfect choice for herself.
Duke is an expensive & prestigious school that's ranked ~10th academically, with an acceptance rate of only 6%.
Plus Duke students really like its college experience a lot.

She's also used to playing for Kia who is a pro, and Kara is also an ex-pro who will give her personal attention.
Toby is a very smooth player but if she had chosen UConn she might have been on the bubble, but not at Duke.
She'll get a great education and she can always transfer because any team would want her.

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
To be honest, I was never a big fan of Toby. We have plenty of young talent, and most of them can shoot the 3. My big interest is on Sarah and Kate. If they don't pick us than that will disappoint me.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Evina Westbrook Hoopgurlz #2 passed on UConn out of high school…
Some of the more informed (@HuskyNan, etc) might fill in the blanks. I think there was a disconnect where UConn thought E (#2) was going to stay out west, and UConn was going for Walker (#1), so it didn't happen. Two years later though, Evina ended up where she wanted to be.

Reaction Score
Some of the more informed (@HuskyNan, etc) might fill in the blanks. I think there was a disconnect where UConn thought E (#2) was going to stay out west, and UConn was going for Walker (#1), so it didn't happen. Two years later though, Evina ended up where she wanted to be.
Coming out of HS I'm not sure that UConn even offered Westbrook. If anyone has evidence that they did, please post a link to it. UConn was not in Westbrook's final 5 and only 2 of them were west coast schools, Oregon St. and So. Cal. The other 3 were Tennessee, Maryland and ND. It doesn't appear that UConn was her favorite until it was her best available option later on.

Reaction Score
We've already taken Brittany Hunter ans Azura Stevens from Duke via transfer.

Reaction Score
Me, this morning: It would be fun if Fournier announced that she was actually avoiding American college and planning to play in the WNBA in 2025.

Me, a few hours later: I think her college choice is great and she should definitely go there and play in the WNBA later.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just a general thought about girls HS players who can dunk. It’s certainly something that gets your attention. But it’s not a guarantee of success at the next level. For every Candace Parker, there’s probably several Fran Belibi’s. The jury is still out on Ayanna, although we are all hopeful.

I have seen some impressive dunking videos of Fournier. But that’s about it. Let’s hope she can develop her game at the next level to become the player we all think she can be.

Reaction Score
Pretty huge recruit for Coach Lawson and her Duke program. All it takes is one solid recruit to begin or sustain a programs rise up the ladder.

Reaction Score
I don't know about that it seemed to workout well with Dorka and Lou. If someone wants to come to UConn after their Freshman or Sophomore year and they fit UConn's needs and are approved by the coaches and players, I say why not.
It absolutely worked out for Dorka and Lou. The question should always be did it push UCONN to new levels by adding a player from the portal. In my opinion the portal doesn't help build you a team since it always impacts the players you brought in before them. If you have a program that loses 3-4 players a year to the portal then I think it is fine to shop there yourself.

Reaction Score
Seems like a good choice for all involved. Would have been nice add for UConn but redundant to other skill sets. Good coach for Fournier and nice addition to the Duke program without having her go to a team we expect to compete with for the Championship.

Reaction Score
Toby Fournier can be the Andrei Kirilenko of the Women's game. Slight, small forward sized player. But has the length to play against posts and has the agility to defend on the perimeter, eventually at least. She seems like to have a lot of energy and plays with intensity. Could be disruptive like Emily Engstler at the 4 as well. Interested with her development at Duke. She will be a pain for ND.

Reaction Score
Pretty huge recruit for Coach Lawson and her Duke program. All it takes is one solid recruit to begin or sustain a programs rise up the ladder.
I think Toby is a very good player, but I don’t believe she’s a program maker I think that’s reserved for special players like Lobo,Parker, A’ja Wilson and others of that Stature.

Reaction Score
It is probably the right choice for Toby. Duke under Kara is a defense minded team with limited scoring and Toby (at least at this point) seems to fit that mold as a great defensive player with limited offensive game. I do believe that she would have developed faster at UConn and i was excited about what she could do as a UConn player but Duke is a great choice for her! She'll as well will get a lot of min. from the first game in Duke uniform which would probably not happend in UConn for atleast her freshmen season.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Triad, Kara and the Duke program. I love Fournier's game and would have loved to see her in a Uconn uni. I expect big things from her!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom