To Those Who Say Geno Insists on a Short Bench ... | The Boneyard

To Those Who Say Geno Insists on a Short Bench ...

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I took a trip down memory lane last night (not my personal memories, since I wasn't following UConn WBB in 2000), and decided to watch the first game of the 2000-2001 season on the uconnhuskygames site. That was against Georgia, which had the #3 ranked team in the country going into that season. Georgia was highly ranked for good reason -- its backcourt included Kelly and Coco Miller and Tweety Nolan, all of whom had long and distinguished WNBA careers in their later life.

UConn's starting lineup consisted on Sue and Shea in the backcourt, Sveta and Swin as the forwards, and Kelly Schumacher as the center. UConn's bench had a bunch of no-names like Tamika Williams, Asjha Jones, and some freshman from Chino, CA playing her first game in a UConn uniform. She scored 8 points in 15 minutes (with 1 assist and 5 turnovers), but I forget her name. Kennitra Johnson was on the bench and in uniform, but she wasn't going to play even though she had been the "sixth man" in the prior year -- apparently some disciplinary/academic issues, or so the announcers implied.

Georgia got off to a 6-0 lead to start the game. The game remained in single digits for about the first 12 minutes, but eventually UConn pulled away and was leading by almost 30 points by the end of the first half. At that point, all of the aforementioned bench players except KJ had played significant minutes, and Morgan Valley, Maria Conlon, and Christine Rigby ("The Big Rig") had even gotten into the game. That is all I watched (the first half), but UConn eventually won the game by 99-70.

The point of telling this story, however, is that Geno had a steady shuttle service going between the floor and the bench beginning in the first minutes of the game. The top three bench players were moving in and out of the lineup and sharing minutes with the starters well before the score got lopsided. By the end, Sue and Sveta were the only players who had more than 30 minutes of court time.

So, everyone, Geno clearly has no dogmatic preference for a short bench, or for the starters to get the lion's share of minutes. When and if he has players on the bench who can play at or near the level of the starters, he will play them. This game illustrates that, but so does his decision-making as an Olympic coach, where he did the same thing.

If next year's freshmen, or some of them, live up to their press releases and (equally important) "get" the UConn offensive and defensive concepts, they will have no problem getting minutes next year, based on this historical data. Geno has even said recently that he does not expect to play with a short bench next year.

On the other hand, if the freshman are physically talented but either out of shape or mentally behind the curve, they may also get plenty of pine time.

Reaction Score
I would like to see this as well with all of this talent. I always admired Doug Bruno in the way he platooned his players in and out of the game giving his starters a chance to rest and get "educated" for the next move.

Reaction Score
I took a trip down memory lane last night (not my personal memories, since I wasn't following UConn WBB in 2000), and decided to watch the first game of the 2000-2001 season on the uconnhuskygames site. That was against Georgia, which had the #3 ranked team in the country going into that season. Georgia was highly ranked for good reason -- its backcourt included Kelly and Coco Miller and Tweety Nolan, all of whom had long and distinguished WNBA careers in their later life.

UConn's starting lineup consisted on Sue and Shea in the backcourt, Sveta and Swin as the forwards, and Kelly Schumacher as the center. UConn's bench had a bunch of no-names like Tamika Williams, Asjha Jones, and some freshman from Chino, CA playing her first game in a UConn uniform. She scored 8 points in 15 minutes (with 1 assist and 5 turnovers), but I forget her name. Kennitra Johnson was on the bench and in uniform, but she wasn't going to play even though she had been the "sixth man" in the prior year -- apparently some disciplinary/academic issues, or so the announcers implied.

Georgia got off to a 6-0 lead to start the game. The game remained in single digits for about the first 12 minutes, but eventually UConn pulled away and was leading by almost 30 points by the end of the first half. At that point, all of the aforementioned bench players except KJ had played significant minutes, and Morgan Valley, Maria Conlon, and Christine Rigby ("The Big Rig") had even gotten into the game. That is all I watched (the first half), but UConn eventually won the game by 99-70.

The point of telling this story, however, is that Geno had a steady shuttle service going between the floor and the bench beginning in the first minutes of the game. The top three bench players were moving in and out of the lineup and sharing minutes with the starters well before the score got lopsided. By the end, Sue and Sveta were the only players who had more than 30 minutes of court time.

So, everyone, Geno clearly has no dogmatic preference for a short bench, or for the starters to get the lion's share of minutes. When and if he has players on the bench who can play at or near the level of the starters, he will play them. This game illustrates that, but so does his decision-making as an Olympic coach, where he did the same thing.

If next year's freshmen, or some of them, live up to their press releases and (equally important) "get" the UConn offensive and defensive concepts, they will have no problem getting minutes next year, based on this historical data. Geno has even said recently that he does not expect to play with a short bench next year.

On the other hand, if the freshman are physically talented but either out of shape or mentally behind the curve, they may also get plenty of pine time.
Agree completely. IMO, no smart and successful coach would be dumb enough to paint themself into a corner by having a rigid, unbending approach to in game adjustments and strategy. As long as the practice habits are good, the best and smartest players will play and I believe the most talented and impactful will get leeway to learn the system on the fly. Griffin is an example of that. I think this fixation on starting is much overrated.

Reaction Score
I think there is a different issue at play with Geno and the bench, those that get minutes. For many years, you had to "qualify" to get start and/or get minutes. Hustle, attitude, practice performance and many other factors go into Geno's decision. Sometimes seems frosh have an additional set of rules. While Geno would like to have as long a list of players he deems ready to play as possible, by the benchmark he sets, the bench will typically be short.

Reaction Score
I think that the real determinate as to whether Geno's bench is short is the difference in the quality of play from player 5 and players 5, 6, 7, etc. Big drop off, short bench. Little drop off, longer bench.

Reaction Score
Great post. Thanks for the reality check! I also think we need a team of at least 12 players who can provide good minutes in order to win it all consistently. The recruiting threads frustrate me with well we can't have too big a class or someone won't get enough minutes and transfer.... we need more than 6 players who play significant minutes!!!!!

Reaction Score
Great post. Thanks for the reality check! I also think we need a team of at least 12 players who can provide good minutes in order to win it all consistently. The recruiting threads frustrate me with well we can't have too big a class or someone won't get enough minutes and transfer.... we need more than 6 players who play significant minutes!!!!!

Appreciate the sentiment, but 12 players who can provide "good minutes" seems like overkill and unnecessary. There's only 200 minutes to distribute.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Appreciate the sentiment, but 12 players who can provide "good minutes" seems like overkill and unnecessary. There's only 200 minutes to distribute.
Things will happen. Injuries, someone in the dog house, not having good practices, etc etc. Next year, in close games, I fully expect Geno to go 8 deep. In non close games, he will be able to play everyone who's available...

Reaction Score
The one thing I have noticed when we play some other teams who are not ranked or who have mediocre records is that the coaches of those teams appear to substitute more frequently and, more often than not, have a longer bench. It would be a blessing if all of the players were equal in talent but that is not the case. If you have your starting five out there and only have a ten point lead unless there is just ten seconds left, with the evolution of the three point shot, any coach is going to want to have their best five on the floor.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I always admired Doug Bruno in the way he platooned his players in and out of the game giving his starters a chance to rest and get "educated" for the next move.
I have posted in the other "next year's starters" threads that I can see a Blue Team and a White Team, each with a mix of upperclassmen and underclassmen, and alternate them on and off the court. As long as no one gets into foul trouble, this could be doable, especially if all 10 players are playing up to expectations.

Reaction Score
I have posted in the other "next year's starters" threads that I can see a Blue Team and a White Team, each with a mix of upperclassmen and underclassmen, and alternate them on and off the court. As long as no one gets into foul trouble, this could be doable, especially if all 10 players are playing up to expectations.

I think that this is exceedingly unlikely to happen.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I think that this is exceedingly unlikely to happen.
I can dream, can't I? This might stop the "why isn't player X starting or getting meaningful minutes" threads, posts and chat room conversations. We all know Geno gets his coaching ideas here on the BY.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think Centerstream is a bit too optimistic but I like his perspective. To me, what @JonathanXIV said at 1:49 is the most logical-how much of a drop off is there from the starter until the end of the bench. When they have slight degrees of differences, more will play, when they have gaps the way it was in the post-Stewie era, fewer play. I just hope Geno/CD remember what to do when they have 10 players to choose from. I think Paige, Aalayah and Evina for sure will get significant minutes. I hope Nika can handle the defensive responsibilities required and she would get minutes. The best outlook is can Mir can be this year's Aubrey as an energizer and defensive disrupter. Otherwise I fear her minutes could be limited.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately this is the sentiment that I'm talking about. We need to have this many players to deal with different match ups, injuries, and other unforeseen situations... For instance, they said Chrystin recently had the flu and was playing through it. Why? Because we don't have enough players so she can rest and get healthy. Second example, so the board is all a buzz about Liv's nose and whether she'll miss a game. Why? Because we don't have enough players to pick up the slack if she has to sit out. I would also say we lost these 3 games especially that Baylor game when they ran out of gas. Why? Because we don't have enough players! I am glad you are on thevsite supporting the team, I just totally disagree with your opinion on the number of players we should have. I could give a little and say 10 quality minute players and 2 freshman playing clean up minutes. I really believe we need to average 3.5 new players every year to manage the inevitable transfers in order to have enough quality players to win a championship each year.

Reaction Score
Next season UConn will have 4 upperclassmen and 7 underclassmen. I remember Geno saying in Chong's freshman year how great practices were going. Why? Because with only one freshman we don't have to stop every 2 minutes to explain and go over things again and again.
UConn's talent level is going to surge next season but like this year there will be a lack of experience and a big lack of time spent playing with each other. That smooth, well-oiled machine doesn't just happen due to talent alone.
I can almost guarantee that 2 or 3 of the freshmen will be said to be "lost" at least one end of the court. It's going to be a major puzzle for coaching to figure out what the younger players can contribute and with whom they can play. The coaches will have a lot of bricks next season but can they build a strong wall?

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
We'll see about "next year.".............When it comes down to the bitter end this year, it will be a total of 5 starters, and ONE bench player.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I took a trip down memory lane last night (not my personal memories, since I wasn't following UConn WBB in 2000), and decided to watch the first game of the 2000-2001 season on the uconnhuskygames site. That was against Georgia. . .

. . . some freshman from Chino, CA playing her first game in a UConn uniform. She scored 8 points in 15 minutes (with 1 assist and 5 turnovers), but I forget her name.

I'm sure Coach Landers could mis-pronounce it for you. Teresa or something like that. ;)

Reaction Score
Unfortunately this is the sentiment that I'm talking about. We need to have this many players to deal with different match ups, injuries, and other unforeseen situations... For instance, they said Chrystin recently had the flu and was playing through it. Why? Because we don't have enough players so she can rest and get healthy. Second example, so the board is all a buzz about Liv's nose and whether she'll miss a game. Why? Because we don't have enough players to pick up the slack if she has to sit out. I would also say we lost these 3 games especially that Baylor game when they ran out of gas. Why? Because we don't have enough players! I am glad you are on thevsite supporting the team, I just totally disagree with your opinion on the number of players we should have. I could give a little and say 10 quality minute players and 2 freshman playing clean up minutes. I really believe we need to average 3.5 new players every year to manage the inevitable transfers in order to have enough quality players to win a championship each year.

Thoughtful post. To clarify, I disagreed with the notion that 12 players would get “good minutes.” I didn’t offer an opinion on how many players we should carry.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
To my recollection, during the dominating years, Geno's bench shrinks later in the season. During the conference tourney he would drop to 8 players and 7 in the NCAA. I vaguely remember him talking about it.

Reaction Score
To my recollection, during the dominating years, Geno's bench shrinks later in the season. During the conference tourney he would drop to 8 players and 7 in the NCAA. I vaguely remember him talking about it.
That might be true for the games beyond the first couple rounds but the troubling issue right now is we kind of started with about 6 maybe one might say 7 on day one.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
That might be true for the games beyond the first couple rounds but the troubling issue right now is we kind of started with about 6 maybe one might say 7 on day one.
Yes, this isn't the dominating years, is it?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
In the OPs 2001 season unfortunately it came down to injures taking two of the starters off the court and the bench did get shorter and that unnamed freshman threw bricks at her first FF and Uconn lost.

On the Olympic teams while Geno had 12 great players he generally played ten and had two as emergency players Asjha and Swin (Asjha being essential against Australia.)

Geno plays the players he has confidence in and on occasion he plays the players he has to because they are the best of the rest. He doesn't start freshman except he does when he has no better option - DT and Maya as freshman started mid season because of injuries - Pheesa and then Lou started as freshman when Saniya and Gabby failed. Bria and Stef started from their second game as freshmen because Buck and Dixon couldn't displace them. With Danger graduating and the current 5th starter a bit of a rotating door, there will be two places at least open for freshmen and a red shirt competing with the current freshmen. And the bench will be a competitive place as well. Should be interesting, and minutes will need to be earned. Consistency will be a primary consideration.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom