To me Donovan remains most important player | The Boneyard

To me Donovan remains most important player

Reaction Score
Hes the game changer. He DOES NOT have to play 30 minutes but a hard 23-25
Just watching the good bigs today hes OUR equalizer which could be drastically important. Its important that he gets 8-10 fga. He needs to try and dunk anything close---play with more force

I think hell be ok--his foot and wind will recover nicely at such a young age. Id be aggressive next game going right into him. With Clingan and johnson we should have 40 minutes of force at the basket.

Reaction Score
Only foul trouble with Clingan could limit his effectiveness. But if he shows discipline there , Sky is the limit for him this year. Castle coming back is also going unlock a lot of both of those guys offensive potential.

dingaling

“There’s no better feeling than winning.” K.Powers
Reaction Score
We need Clingan to neutralize guys like Edey and Dickinson. I dont think we can win this year without Clingan making their lives difficult down low.

Reaction Score
Only foul trouble with Clingan could limit his effectiveness. But if he shows discipline there , Sky is the limit for him this year. Castle coming back is also going unlock a lot of both of those guys offensive potential.
Foul trouble is ok—- I don’t think he can do more than 24 min. But that 23-25 min he needs to be dominant against smaller teams and an equalizer against edey/ dickinson

Reaction Score
We don’t want to force feed him the ball though too much, we got in that habit with sanogo during our losing stretch last year. Just keep it in the flow of the offense.

caw

Reaction Score
He should be over his illness and back in shape hopefully by KU. Samson has been great so far but Clingan is such an intimidating force.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Seems to me if he just keeps his moves vertical on defense, he's such a monster he'll get the job done.

Reaction Score
We need Clingan to neutralize guys like Edey and Dickinson. I dont think we can win this year without Clingan making their lives difficult down low.
I think both those guys facing Clingan/Johnson for every minute theyre on the court is going to have them gassed in the latter part of the second half and that can prove their undoing. I cant wait to see the KU game because although DC is not at his best it will still be interesting to see how Dickenson handles both those guys with basically no depth behind him having to play 35+ minutes

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Let me introduce you to Tristen Newton. In a bad shooting game he still had 8 assists. It's early but, DC's 12 points 6 rebounds and 2 blocks a game looks pedestrian for the behemoth we are expecting. Donovan 'should' be the engine that drives the train, but it is the engineer who makes it go.

Reaction Score
Like getting him the ball when he’s moving, that’s ideal or even dumping it in when he’s just under the hoop with a one-on-one matchup

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Agree. He and the other starters are great passers. He'll get it right.

Reaction Score
I did not realize he has asthma. That plus an upper respiratory infection. Amazing he played the 12 minutes. Edey looks to have 40 pounds on Donovan.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I think both those guys facing Clingan/Johnson for every minute theyre on the court is going to have them gassed in the latter part of the second half and that can prove their undoing. I cant wait to see the KU game because although DC is not at his best it will still be interesting to see how Dickenson handles both those guys with basically no depth behind him having to play 35+ minutes
Yes indeed. With the depth we have the last 10 minutes for us is one to look forward to while most opponents will find it to be the moments of dread. You know its coming and there is nothing you can do to stop it. 40 minutes non stop.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Let me introduce you to Tristen Newton. In a bad shooting game he still had 8 assists. It's early but, DC's 12 points 6 rebounds and 2 blocks a game looks pedestrian for the behemoth we are expecting. Donovan 'should' be the engine that drives the train, but it is the engineer who makes it go.
He’d be my choice because there isn’t much behind him. But the reality is that losing Clingan, Newton or Karaban would probably sink this ship‘s chances of a deep run.

Reaction Score
He's a 100% the most important player. At first glance it appears we are slightly less athletic than last year. A dominant Clingan can make up for that.

Reaction Score
Health is a priority for success. Can someone guarantee that for us?

Reaction Score
He’s definitely our most impactful player. I’d like to see him be more aggressive around the rim and dunk the ball. He doesn’t have the same finesse touch that Sanogo had. He needs to use his size and just slam it home

Reaction Score
Need all the starters healthy to be legit championship team. Any one gone and not happening

Reaction Score
Donavan has ,in my estimation, the character and fortitude to get over this rough time.
Getting back to back needs the big guy to play a major role.

Reaction Score
He's a 100% the most important player. At first glance it appears we are slightly less athletic than last year. A dominant Clingan can make up for that.
100% spot on. His defense makes up for some foot speed at other positions. And with a 7-2 guy we will not have over reliance on the 3---which we saw for a few minutes against Texas. A few people have mentioned it--its up to donovan to go up strong.

Reaction Score
We don’t have a replacement for Donovan. Johnson has a huge upside but his game is still in its infancy and he needs time and experience. Donovan is also stronger.

caw

Reaction Score
I’m actually torn. Alex has proven to be invaluable offensively and boxing out. The front court is very thin if Stewart or Ross can’t develop.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
when he gets back on the court you may want to reintroduce yourself to S Castle
Newton is the straw that stirs the drink right now, I agree but by the end of January this team will go as far as Castle takes it. BTW - 12/6/2 playing on one leg is damn good

Reaction Score
“Now I’m starting to feel like I’m getting my wind back, I’m fully getting up and down the court like I used to and it’s definitely a great feeling.”

“He’s rusty,” Hurley said. “We’re watching him knock the rust off and again, he’s still a young player. What we’re seeing from Donovan Clingan right now, compared to what we’re going to see in February and March, is going to be that development that you saw with some guys last year. … And he couldn't care less what his numbers look like after games. I don’t ever feel a sense of him not being happy with how he’s being used or how the season’s been going for him to this point.”

Alternate access:
UConn’s Donovan Clingan shaking off rust after rushing back for season-opener; Notes from win over Manhattan

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom