TO had zero rebounds | The Boneyard

TO had zero rebounds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
None. How is that even possible.

I still would like to see a two big line up as a change of pace.

Reaction Score
None. How is that even possible.

I still would like to see a two big line up as a change of pace.

It is odd that the only substitution Ollie ever makes for Daniels is Giffey. Niels at the 4 is certainly not the answer to our rebounding problems.

Reaction Score
Our best two rebounders are under 5'11. Tyler's performance yesterday was a disgrace

Reaction Score
Nolan, Wolf and Olander totaled 2 rebounds. Yes 2. 22222222222

Reaction Score
There must be a walk-on who knows how to box out and anticipate a board

Reaction Score
TO is a nice complementary piece whose role should be a "change of pace" backup 4, operating out of the high post. He doesn't have the physical tools (strength, leaping ability) to adequately defend the post without fouling or to rebound. He's just exposed trying to bang with other bigs in the post for 30 minutes a game.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
The rebounding effort is disturbing, but this stat also jumped out at me...0 for 2 from 3. WHY is TO taking 3's????

Reaction Score
Our best two rebounders are under 5'11. Tyler's performance yesterday was a disgrace

He's over his head in the Big East. He has been since he set foot on campus. But "disgrace" is a little silly. You sound like an a**hole.

Reaction Score
He's over his head in the Big East. He has been since he set foot on campus. But "disgrace" is a little silly. You sound like an a**hole.

Sorry for saying it like it is, but the numbers show a lack of heart. The guys on Quinnipiac owned him too

Reaction Score
Sorry for saying it like it is, but the numbers show a lack of heart. The guys on Quinnipiac owned him too

What do Boatright's numbers show? I think Olander is way out of his league in the Big East. I think the fact that he's supposedly our go-to big reflects the lack of talent on this team. I think he'd be anchored to the bench on a good UConn team. I'd trade him for 3/4s of a Gavin Edwards right now.

But calling the kid a "disgrace" and saying "the numbers show a lack of heart" is just dumb. Like he'd be dominating if he just had as much heart as couch warrior "huskiesnyc." Grow up.

Reaction Score
It is also important to note the full context. The context in this case, is minutes played - 12. He only played 12 minutes since he was in a lot of foul trouble (which then hampers your aggressiveness). Of course, you should be able to box out in foul trouble, but you might not crash the boards as effectively when you know you'll be back on the bench, and maybe miss opportunities on the offfensive glass. There were also a few times yesterday that our bigs did a decent job boxing out (not even sure if TO was in the game at the time), and our guards snuck in to get defensive rebounds that bounced off the floor. That's fine with me. In a perfect world, our bigs would be athletic enough to snark those up and allow our guards to leak out on the break, but this isn't a perfect world frontcourt-wise this season.

Reaction Score
What do Boatright's numbers show? I think Olander is way out of his league in the Big East. I think the fact that he's supposedly our go-to big reflects the lack of talent on this team. I think he'd be anchored to the bench on a good UConn team. I'd trade him for 3/4s of a Gavin Edwards right now.

But calling the kid a "disgrace" and saying "the numbers show a lack of heart" is just dumb. Like he'd be dominating if he just had as much heart as couch warrior "huskiesnyc." Grow up.

I said his performance was a disgrace, not Tyler. Can you read? I'm sure he is a great guy, but you can't convince me zero rebounds is acceptable at any level. I'm pretty sure Tyler would agree with me.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
There must be a walk-on who knows how to box out and anticipate a board

I was thinking this, maybe somebody off the football team? just some dude to stand under the hoop and move bodies

you would think Tyler could of had at least one rebound by accident, the ball finds him. But no, he must get out of the way

Reaction Score

TO had 7 of Uconn's 29 rebounds and 7 of 25 defensive so wouldn't call him Wilt but hardly being owned by Q. Q was penetrating a lot and he was guarding shooters a lot which makes it harder to rebound as he gets pulled to cover penetration. His lacking is not heart, it is skill.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I think its time we start going 2 big. When you get outrebounded every game, that's a sign of bad decision making with the lineup.

Reaction Score
I think its time we start going 2 big. When you get outrebounded every game, that's a sign of bad decision making with the lineup.

Yeah let's play Wolf and TO at the same time!!??! They don't have 2 bigs they can play together for longer than 30 seconds.........Nolan potentially but not now........

And the "disgrace" and "lack of heart" crap above in a post also needs to go. They may not always play smart or look like the most talented kids out there in some positions, but I doubt you will see a lack of heart. If you didn't see the frustration on TO's face when he sat you weren't watching closely.

Reaction Score
TO is a nice complementary piece whose role should be a "change of pace" backup 4, operating out of the high post. He doesn't have the physical tools (strength, leaping ability) to adequately defend the post without fouling or to rebound. He's just exposed trying to bang with other bigs in the post for 30 minutes a game.
Tenspro,

The ironic thing was how he was reported to be such a great leaper coming out of high school. Unfortunately I've never seen anything to support that. Tyler is a mediocre talent at best.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
We'd pay on the offensive most likely. The lack of production at the five is a given. DD gives the chance of decent production at the four. UConn needs that because Omar still isn't consistent.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure Olander was ever considered a great leaper. All I remember was that he could be considered a "stretch four" as has become a common term these days - a big power forward who can shoot and bring defenders out on the perimeter with him. There was some question as to whether he was good enough to play at this level or whether he was just sort of a local guy to fill a spot on the end of the bench.

Again, 12 minutes isn't enough of a sample size to make determinations about his heart or toughness. It was just a night when he was on the bench for 70 percent of the game due to foul trouble, and probably played a bit tentative for the few minutes he got. Chalk it up to a statistical outlier and let's move on to the next one.

Reaction Score
Look he wasn't brought in to be a starter. I.don't think is was the plan to lose Roscoe and AO so TO would be our best big. We have gone after bigs hard the last 3 years and because of well know circumstances only landed a in home star.

I'm sure Tyler is playing hard. And if he was in the role he was recruited for would be just fine. Coming off the bench to spell someone and go back to the bench when he gets out matched.

That's not his role and that's not his fault.

The premise that he is a stretch 4 hasn't been proven yet. Maybe in practice but not when it counts. He has block some shots and rebounded better the first 3 games. But we habe been out rebounded in all games and quite frankly only played 1 BE comparable team. This stat has the potential to get real ugly real fast.

But to blame TO for the lose or to take out our frustrations on him for the lose misses something that will affect this team even more because its supposedly is our strength. Boats lack of touch from the field. I didn't watch the last game yet and have been dreading watching it. But he hasn't lit it up in the previous 4 games and he is missing badly. Bricks. And Bazz is hot/cold, confidence/lacking confidence one possession to the next.

Reaction Score
Boat needs to get the mid-range jumper going, with his speed this could be there all day. Don't know if he can get that going now(in season) or he needs a summer to improve like Kemba before his last year. Boat lost the handle alot and always going inside in the Big East will not payoff. His frustration then carries over to his defense. I thought that by this point in his career Giffey would have been more of a threat to score. Be able to knock down open 3's and 15 footers which he does get looks for but so far it's not happening. Very frustrating as is Tylers inability to hit open jumpers. The shots are there but we aren't making them in games, maybe in practice but not games.

Reaction Score
Yeah let's play Wolf and TO at the same time!!??! They don't have 2 bigs they can play together for longer than 30 seconds.........Nolan potentially but not now........

And the "disgrace" and "lack of heart" crap above in a post also needs to go. They may not always play smart or look like the most talented kids out there in some positions, but I doubt you will see a lack of heart. If you didn't see the frustration on TO's face when he sat you weren't watching closely.

TO certainly has his share of liabilities on the court. The kid does have heart. We lost 1 game to a good New Mexico team and beat Michigan State. Welcome to the world of college basketball folks. Hard to understand the bashing of the team or coaching at this point.

Great job by everyone. As Kevin says "It is not I it is we and team" or something very close to that. Another thing that impresses me with him.

Reaction Score
TO certainly has his share of liabilities on the court. The kid does have heart. We lost 1 game to a good New Mexico team and beat Michigan State. Welcome to the world of college basketball folks. Hard to understand the bashing of the team or coaching at this point.

Great job by everyone. As Kevin says "It is not I it is we and team" or something very close to that. Another thing that impresses me with him.

This post is spot on. We will be in all games because we will scrape and fight and play ugly at times, but show a lot of heart. And let's face it, if NM does not go 21-21 from the FT line, we probably get the W.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Actually a lineup of
1 - Napier
2 -Giffey
3 -Daniels
4 -Nolan
5- Wolf
might be worth experimenting with, if only for limited stretches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom