To get a #1 seed, UConn will have to... | The Boneyard

To get a #1 seed, UConn will have to...

Reaction Score
Get a win against either Oregon or South Carolina (and win the rest of their games). If they lose both games (but win the rest of their games), I think they end up as a high 2-seed.

If they lose both games, and lose to someone else, they could drop to a 3-seed. Once again, I think UConn's conference strength of schedule hurts them badly.

Their most "impressive" win to date was to a decent, not great, Depaul team. The Tenn team is over-rated. ND being bad this year also hurts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Get a win against either Oregon or South Carolina (and win the rest of their games). If they lose both games (but win the rest of their games), I think they end up as a high 2-seed.

If they lose both games, and lose to someone else, they could drop to a 3-seed. Once again, I think UConn's conference strength of schedule hurts them badly.

Their most "impressive" win to date was to a decent, not great, Depaul team. The Tenn team is over-rated. ND being bad this year also hurts.
It doesn’t matter.

Reaction Score

Tennessee is far from overrated, I hate them as much as anybody, but let's be realistic here!

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Tennessee is far from overrated, I hate them as much as anybody, but let's be realistic here!

I completely agree with you. If they reduce their turnovers they will be very dangerous. They have the talent and a better coach now.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
If UConn loses both of those games, a 2 seed is not guaranteed. Very little resume substance after that.

Reaction Score
Seeding doesnt matter?? Individual matchups (& your journey path) are probably the number one predictor of who wins the title.

earning a number one seed in their own region hasn't helped UConn win a championship recently.....................perhaps a number two seed is just what the the doctor ordered.....................;)

Reaction Score
earning a number one seed in their own region hasn't helped UConn win a championship recently.....................perhaps a number two seed is just what the the doctor ordered.....................;)
Yeah didn't we have that last year when Louaville got the #1 seed? I remember Jeff Walz saying something after the game that even though they were the #1 seed in Albany, they were still underdogs.

Reaction Score
They’ll lose to Oregon next week (just being realistic). So they will have to beat South Carolina

Reaction Score
Seeding doesnt matter?? Individual matchups (& your journey path) are probably the number one predictor of who wins the title.
Minor predictors. I can see issues they still need to overcome, but I think they’ve grown a ton in the last 2-3 weeks. Getting contributions from everyone. I’m getting more confident every game. Oregon and SC will show us a lot.

Reaction Score
Based on what I saw during seeding last year against UConn, I think they have to win both of those games (Oregon and SC.) I think a loss to either keeps them at a #2 seed and a loss to both? Hard to say. Possibly a 3 seed. Wouldn't surprise me. The committee does not like UConn Women's basketball so any grey area gets held against them.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Based on what I saw during seeding last year against UConn, I think they have to win both of those games (Oregon and SC.) I think a loss to either keeps them at a #2 seed and a loss to both? Hard to say. Possibly a 3 seed. Wouldn't surprise me. The committee does not like UConn Women's basketball so any grey area gets held against them.
Just curious. What evidence is there that the committee doesn't like UConn?

Reaction Score
I just think the committee sees that we play in a weak conference. We have to schedule and beat top teams in our out of conference schedule. If We win both games then we will be a one seed. IF we lose one then we are a 2 seed at best and lose both we will be looking at a 3 seed. Our signature win would be against DePaul .

Reaction Score
UConn needs to win out the rest of the season to get a first seed............going 1-1 against Oregon and South Carolina just won't cut it............if they go 0-2 and loose badly then a third seed is certainly a possibility..........

Plebe

Reaction Score
I just think the committee sees that we play in a weak conference. We have to schedule and beat top teams in our out of conference schedule. If We win both games then we will be a one seed. IF we lose one then we are a 2 seed at best and lose both we will be looking at a 3 seed. Our signature win would be against DePaul .
And just to riff on that, this might be the first year since its inception that the AAC has no top 50 teams other than UConn. (UCF is currently #56 and Temple is #57. No one else is even in the top 100.)

This leaves a big gap in the resume of a team aspiring for a lofty seed. Wins over DePaul, Ohio State, Tennessee and Oklahoma do not a #1 seed make. The eggs at this point are all in a two-game basket.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The biggest concern for UCONN IMO is trying to be put in Fort Wayne. Otherwise they're basically playing a road game against Oregon, South Carolina or Baylor. Those 3 schools are likely locks to play in those respective regionals either as a 1 or 2 and all 3 pose the biggest challenge for the Huskies. I'd much rather be a 2 seed in Fort Wayne than a 1 in Greenville with SC as a 2.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I think UConn can get a #1 Seed if they split with Oregon and So Carolina games and win their remaining games. If Getting a #1 Seed means getting sent to Portland, I'd rather see UConn in Fort Wayne as a #2 Seed. I believe that Oregon and South Carolina will not go undefeated for the rest of the Season. This is in addition to a potential loss to UConn. Also we don't know who the winner of the ACC will be and how many losses that team will have. If UConn ends the Season with two losses and all other teams vying for a #1 seed have three or more losses, then UConn will be a #1 Seed. Now if Miss St, Stanford, or UCLA are in the running for a #1 Seed, over Oregon and So Carolina, then UConn being in the AAC will hurt and they won't get a #1 Seed.

Plebe

Reaction Score
If UConn ends the Season with two losses and all other teams vying for a #1 seed have three or more losses, then UConn will be a #1 Seed.
This is not a safe assumption. Last year Notre Dame and Louisville both had 3 losses, and both were #1 seeds ahead of UConn because both of them had more quality wins. Teams with more losses get seeded ahead of teams with fewer losses all the time.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'm going on a Presumption that UConn is in the running for a #1 Seed with Oregon and So Carolina. If UConn wins their game against Oregon and/or So Carolina they'll get the #1 Seed. Now if Oregon and So Carolina aren't in the Running for a #1 Seed, that probably means they didn't win their Conference Regular Season and/or Post Season Tournament. Then I don't think UConn gets a #1 Seed.

This is not a safe assumption. Last year Notre Dame and Louisville both had 3 losses, and both were #1 seeds ahead of UConn because both of them had more quality wins. Teams with more losses get seeded ahead of teams with fewer losses all the time.

Reaction Score
If UConn loses to both SC and Oregon, their 3 losses conceivably could be to the #'s 1,2 & 3 teams at regular season's end. Could UConn be considered the #4 team in the country in that scenario? IMO only Louisville or NC State could pass them. UCLA & Stanford would get beat up in conference play to keep them behind UConn. So, yes UConn could be a 1 seed with 3 losses.

Reaction Score
I think a 2 seed is about right....I think we beat Oregon and lose to SC...

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I think UConn will be #1 if they can beat either one of Oregon or South Carolina.

Baylor plays 2 top 10 teams and is 1-1 in those 2.... and 1 other ranked team besides that. If UConn gets 1 top 10 win, their resume will be pretty much identical to Baylor's except 1 more top 25 win.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom