To Dave Benedict | Page 5 | The Boneyard

To Dave Benedict

Reaction Score
That makes little sense to me... basketball is not the money sport.. as much as some may want it to be otherwise. It all about football eyeballs in good media markets and capturing $$. The B1G dipped its toe into the DC market and NY market. What it needs is more representational density .... grab UConn and a UMass or BC or UVA and they lock up the East
They'd think twice about it after the short sighted mistake they made taking Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Rumor is Benedict is already polling the CT HS FB coaches to see who they want as the next UConn head coach.
Or some who used to be CT HS FB coaches, and some other athletic directors.

Interesting article............

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Basketball recruiting comes down to winning. If UConn was getting NCAA bids in the AAC, recruiting would have been fine. If Hurley doesn’t produce a winning record this year, recruiting will get tough.

My biggest concern with the move to the Big East is the risk of a split coming within the NCAA as I think the AAC has a better chance of surviving a split than the Big East. Football drives the bus and UConn is joining a conference that doesn’t have football. Didn’t Lou Perkins warn us about the risk over 20 years ago?

I totally agree that a split from the NCAA is coming eventually, but there is zero chance the AAC conference comes along. If Oklahoma and Texas split, the big 12 will start poaching the AAC teams offering any value. Eventually I see the power 5 becoming 3 “super powers”

Reaction Score
Whoever we get I want their skillset to be on the offensive side of the ball. We've seen enough defensive-minded dinosaurs lately.. add the fact that we can't hold onto our OC's no matter who the HC is, it would probably be the smartest choice continuity wise and philosophically for the program.

Reaction Score
I think the defense will get better, but we need to mature and get more LBs. Spanos did fine at UCLA as DC, so I assume he knows what he is doing. I do think some of the defensive problems are due to the lack of sustained drives by the offense.

I am concerned about the offense. You had to expect a conservative offense this year as we had no experienced QBs. I do think the offense would have looked much better this year if Pindell was still QB.

That said, I don’t think it’s a good idea to have a brand new OC who is also the OL coach. How can you do both? And, neither has looked good.

One last point. Tulane has one redshirt freshman/freshman on their two deep. I think UConn has 15+. We need to get back to only having 4 or 5 freshmen or redshirt freshmen on the 2 deep.

RE is a losing coach - he is what his record says he is - how do people advocate so strongly for a guy with a losing career record.

What type spell does the guy have you under?

Nobody knows who or who wouldn’t be interested in the gig.

But more time after the season for RE is a bad move.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Does Edsall need three or more years to teach his players how to tackle, or three or more years to realize calling plays drawn up in 1923 is going to lose games?
You really think he can’t teach tackling? C’mon man. Look at past D players when they were successful. Hire decent coordinators and recruit decent players and coach them up. We know the AD DEPT won’t spend the money they don’t have, so clearly we’ve come to some cross road that they need to figure out or lose what little support this program has left.

Reaction Score
Spanos? Dude is equally bad. Clear everyone out year end.
I like him, think he's ok. If Edsall is canned, keep Spanos interim and the defensive assistants he wants to keep. Or until the new coach comes in.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The school needs to shake things up and fire Edsall now. Give him his one million, the school, the program, the players would be better for it. Too many pitfalls if they wait until Christmas.

Not going to happen, so please stop. You sound like a three year old who isn't getting their way in the grocery store.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Has anyone considered the possibility that Edsall was brought back to finish the job he started when he left for UMD, i.e., to kill the UConn football program once and for all?

Why are you here again? Not going to happen and was never the plan. Not sure why you venture of the Cesspool anymore

Reaction Score
They need to fire Edsall but it’s doubtful he gets canned during the season. The second after the last second ticks off the clock of the last game should be the time. Fire him quickly and get a new staff in there just as fast.

Benedict has zero clue but he should be checking out possible replacements ASAP.

Reaction Score
Not going to happen, so please stop. You sound like a three year old who isn't getting their way in the grocery store.
Are you on Mars? I posted this almost a week ago. But ok, Half full of it kind of guy.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Are you on Mars? I posted this almost a week ago. But ok, Half full of it kind of guy.

So things have changed for you in a few days?

Just not going to happen, nor do I think it should this year. After next is a different story

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Why are you here again? Not going to happen and was never the plan. Not sure why you venture of the Cesspool anymore
I don’t post in the Cesspool much; it usually goes in waves there. Mostly the men‘s basketball board for me historically.

But why am I here again? Because when I checked my ESPN app I saw the score of the Tulane game and it dawned on me that the two lowest points of UConn football (to date) are: (1) post-Fiesta Bowl Edsall quitting; and (2) now. Do you dispute that?

Reaction Score
I don’t post in the Cesspool much; it usually goes in waves there. Mostly the men‘s basketball board for me historically.

But why am I here again? Because when I checked my ESPN app I saw the score of the Tulane game and it dawned on me that the two lowest points of UConn football (to date) are: (1) post-Fiesta Bowl Edsall quitting; and (2) now. Do you dispute that?

I do in the sense that I viewed Edsall quitting as our chance to take the next step. Hathaway bungled it. I was excited about getting a new, modern coach. Here I am 10 years later still waiting.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I do. Pretty much every point in time after (1) was worse than that and better than now. Kind of a scary trend line.

Reaction Score
It is what it is. Hopefully we can regroup as an independent. Most of the discussions on here if the administration listened we might be thriving in all sports and be in a big conference

Reaction Score
They'd think twice about it after the short sighted mistake they made taking Rutgers.
Isolated outpost in a garbage dump. You have to have at least one other local team. Plus, RU would eph-up their own funeral. Although we seem to be pretty uniquely incompetent in the last 10 years.

Reaction Score
Isolated outpost in a garbage dump. You have to have at least one other local team. Plus, RU would eph-up their own funeral. Although we seem to be pretty uniquely incompetent in the last 10 years.
Um..............no, not exactly. Had nothing to do with athletics and everything to do with a large amount of money the Big Ten would gain each year by Rutgers being a member of the Big Ten. All that mattered at the time were cable boxes, the number of which in the past seven years has decreased significantly due to cord cutting. The Big Ten didn't forsee how streaming technology could destroy the cable box model, now it's stuck with a laughing stock of the conference while it brings in much much less money. At least UConn has a basketball tradition brand in both men's and women's, Rutgers has zero, nothing. UConn has a huge opportunity here to bury Rutgers as the premier flagship school in the NYC metro area, they just need to fix football, and that starts with dumping Randy Edsall. If UConn men's basketball is a surprise this season, and I think it will be, that will fan things further in terms of recruiting for Hurley and Tom Moore.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom