To all those who were pointing to Cincy as "getting it"... | The Boneyard

To all those who were pointing to Cincy as "getting it"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They up big today. The unveil of the new stadium expansion is entirely underwhelming. Doesn't appear to add more that 5k in seating bringing it up to about 40k. Adding boxes is nice, but again, too small, too late.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
They up big today. The unveil of the new stadium expansion is entirely underwhelming. Doesn't appear to add more that 5k in seating bringing it up to about 40k. Adding boxes is nice, but again, too small, too late.
Take this and the CBS hype of Cincy and the degrading of UConn and it makes you wonder!

Reaction Score
That makes perfect sense for them. If they get accepted into a major conference it will be with the condition that they play the big draws across town anyway.

Reaction Score
Take this and the CBS hype of Cincy and the degrading of UConn and it makes you wonder!

A couple of years ago, no plan that was under 45-48k seating would have seen the day of light. The fact that this got pushed through is just disgusting.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
They also have Paul Brown Stadium in their backyard that seats 66,000. This is actually a smart move by Cincinnati. Play their NNNNBE games at Nippert on campus and play their big OOC games that they'll be able to schedule at PB Stadium. If they are invited into a better conference, they can transition more to PB.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's the best they can do for that stadium. It's smart PR and it will likely never happen. But, it has people talking about them in a positive manner. Add in 4 BE titles, 2 BCS games, OH recruiting and a passerby might think they are something worth taking.

It's time UConn stop resting on its merits, it hasn't done much good.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
That makes perfect sense for them. If they get accepted into a major conference it will be with the condition that they play the big draws across town anyway.

Dammit, that does make perfect sense. Can we have the UConn Science Brains build a wormhole or whatever so Gillette would be right across town?

Reaction Score
"At Nippert, some of the new premium seats at would replace existing seats, so the project won’t add much to the current capacity of about 35,000. UC also hopes to improve the concourse with new restrooms and concessions, replacing the antiquated infrastructure that Nippert holds now."

Reaction Score
They also have Paul Brown Stadium in their backyard that seats 66,000. This is actually a smart move by Cincinnati. Play their NNNNBE games at Nippert on campus and play their big OOC games that they'll be able to schedule at PB Stadium. If they are invited into a better conference, they can transition more to PB.

They just stated that they don't want to transition to PBS. There is overwhelming negativity from fans for playing at PBS (to be honest, it's a truly sh!tastic NFL stadium)

Dooley

Reaction Score
I've never been to Cincinnati so I don't know. I just know it holds 20,000 or more fans and that could entice big name OOC opponents to what to play there. I've heard Nippert is in a dumpy neighborhood.

Reaction Score
I've never been to Cincinnati so I don't know. I just know it holds 20,000 or more fans and that could entice big name OOC opponents to what to play there. I've heard Nippert is in a dumpy neighborhood.

Nippert is ON CAMPUS! Like...smack in the middle of it. It's got an awesome aura to it. I really enjoyed my time watching games there, even though I did see UConn lose :(

PBS - now that is in downtown, used to be in a dumpy part but they're starting to make it nicer. Still a terrible stadium.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Is the campus in a dumpy neighborhood? From what I've been told on TV, it looks like students use the stadium all of the time as a walking route between classes when there is no game going on. That concept is pretty cool.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
It's the best they can do for that stadium. It's smart PR and it will likely never happen. But, it has people talking about them in a positive manner. Add in 4 BE titles, 2 BCS games, OH recruiting and a passerby might think they are something worth taking.

It's time UConn stop resting on its merits, it hasn't done much good.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
So Cincy and CBS hype the out of the announcement only to have them show there is no substantive change? If the hype was good, then people from FSU read the announcement. And what will they think? Exactly what NHU stated. This upgrade is meaningless. So if Cincy goes ahead of UConn it wasn't because of hype.

Reaction Score
Cincy is showing they are not standing still and committed to football. It's good PR on their part.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Cincy is showing they are not standing still and committed to football. It's good PR on their part.
How? They got the ACC's attention. That is they got FSU's attention. And they announce a next to nothing change. Why the fanfare for no substance. You don't attract attention unless you can support the hype. This does not support the hype.

If I put a promo that I'm giving $100 dollars to the first thousand who show up I better have the bucks. Cinci just delivered $1 dollar to the people. Hype has to at least be clever if it is deceptive.

Reaction Score
Is the campus in a dumpy neighborhood? From what I've been told on TV, it looks like students use the stadium all of the time as a walking route between classes when there is no game going on. That concept is pretty cool.

Clifton (the neighborhood UC is in) is nice...especially when you get into the Gaslight District (probably one of the nicest parts of Cincinnati) but it borders Over-The-Rhine which is the sketch neighborhood.

Thus, there are "border wars" in neighborhoods, a lot of poor are getting pushed out of neighborhoods that are being reclaimed for historical renovation. Campus is trying to upgrade the area around the university...and such that basically crime has spilled closer to campus.

Reaction Score

It's terrible PR. Renovating Nippert used to be about how many seats you could get. This apparently doesn't add anymore seats, only luxury boxes and improved facilities (granted...some of that was going to be necessary). Underwhelming. It'll still be one of the smallest stadiums in the country, which is the shame because it's one of the neatest to see a game. I guarantee you that students and the players would much rather play a big game in Nippert where it can get loud (easy to do with all of the tall buildings on campus) and intimate (crowd is very close to the field) setting in the middle of campus rather than play downtown in a mediocre-at-best NFL stadium.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
40k is enough in the acc any day. what they just did was make themselves good enough on the stadium front for acc games. they can play a ok or fl type in PB when needed but the acc and the other media can't rip cicny now when theya re added to the acc. thats all this was. cincy is geting the pump job, the new coach the stadium and all the jazz. its not a suprise to some here, theya re going to the acc and imho they will rip that confrence apart with 4 years of being in it. for some reason no matter how small u may think the school is, they get it on the field. they just do.

Reaction Score
40k is enough in the acc any day. what they just did was make themselves good enough on the stadium front for acc games. they can play a ok or fl type in PB when needed but the acc and the other media can't rip cicny now when theya re added to the acc. thats all this was. cincy is geting the pump job, the new coach the stadium and all the jazz. its not a suprise to some here, theya re going to the acc and imho they will rip that ****ing confrence apart with 4 years of being in it. for some reason no matter how small u may think the school is, they ****ing get it on the field. they just do.

They're hoping to get 40k - that's lawyer speak for it's not gonna happen. (Also, Cincy has over 2x the number of students as UConn-Storrs)

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
They're hoping to get 40k - that's lawyer speak for it's not gonna happen. (Also, Cincy has over 2x the number of students as UConn-Storrs)

i was refering to fanbase size for cincy, not students my bad for not making hat clear.

i think they fill get 40k in the place when it comes to showing #'s.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
It's terrible PR. Renovating Nippert used to be about how many seats you could get. This apparently doesn't add anymore seats, only luxury boxes and improved facilities (granted...some of that was going to be necessary). Underwhelming. It'll still be one of the smallest stadiums in the country, which is the shame because it's one of the neatest to see a game. I guarantee you that students and the players would much rather play a big game in Nippert where it can get loud (easy to do with all of the tall buildings on campus) and intimate (crowd is very close to the field) setting in the middle of campus rather than play downtown in a mediocre-at-best NFL stadium.

Did you ever notice the Haiku in your signature isn't a proper Haiku? Yours is 5-8-5.

Reaction Score
Did you ever notice the Haiku in your signature isn't a proper Haiku? Yours is 5-8-5.

Just changed it recently - depends on how you pronounce the diphthong in championship. Difference between cham-pi-on-ship or champ-ion-ship (ion = "yun"). As a musician, I'm used to seeing open ended syllables combined with open endings to be combined into one large syllable. For me, it's acceptable poetic license. Just like how o'er is just one syllable.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I was at the everyone-getting-injured game at Nippert in 2005. I thought the place was great. It is literally in THE MIDDLE of what was a surprisingly nice campus. Lots of energy and buzz pregame...imagine what it'd be like for a bigger game?

For those who asked, the surrounding neighborhood seemed a bit sketchy, but the campus itself is very nice. Reminded me a lot of Fordham's situation.

Reaction Score
Nippert is known to be one of the most beautiful stadiums in the country. Really want to go there. Was talking to Cincinnati students before our game with them. They sure like it.

Reaction Score
I was at the everyone-getting-injured game at Nippert in 2005. I thought the place was great. It is literally in THE MIDDLE of what was a surprisingly nice campus. Lots of energy and buzz pregame...imagine what it'd be like for a bigger game?

For those who asked, the surrounding neighborhood seemed a bit sketchy, but the campus itself is very nice. Reminded me a lot of Fordham's situation.

I wish I was there for the 48-45 game in 2007(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom