To all those predicting our demise. | Page 7 | The Boneyard

To all those predicting our demise.

Reaction Score
The base camp of a post season ban and recruiting sanctions and losing the big east?

Yeah sounds like an easy trek to the top. The revisionist history there is mind blowing.

Oh yeah, inheriting a talented roster at a marquee program was definitely overshadowed by a 1 year postseason ban and loss of 1 scholarship per year over, what, 2 years? And the conference situation has proven to be the death knell of Nova, Wichita, Gonzaga, even Cincy.

Surprised Ollie is even capable of going toe to toe with the likes of Columbia and Monmouth after that Hiroshima level devastation the NCAA laid down upon the program 5 years ago.

Reaction Score
A great point guard does look to pass first though. It helps their game, and the team if they are also a dangerous scorer. One of the problems on this team in 2017 is that Ollie once again made Gilbert the “point guard” and moved Adams off the ball. Now he’s back on the ball and is not playing like a point guard. We need him to get back to making others better.

If the onus were entirely on the point guard to create good shots for the team then there wouldn't even be a need for a coach in the first place.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
South Bay - I'm a lawyer as well. I generally find 2 types. 1) Those who feel the need to tell everyone else they are a lawyer to assert some of form of presumed superiority and 2) those that are smart enough to recognize most dislike lawyers because of No. 1 and go about their business without self adornment. I give Business Law a break as a long time contributor, and give a pass although it makes me cringe as a member of the profession.
I love the passive-aggressive means in which you demonstrated that you are in fact example a while attempting to classify yourself as example b.

Reaction Score
Let me tell you something about yourselves.

You aren't basketball geniuses. You are disingenuous hedgers. I see right through it.

You can look at a season start and find stuff wrong on a 6 and 2 young team. Sure. No problems there. The rest of us see it too. Let's discuss it.

But there are so many declarative "The seasons over, Fire Ollie posts" here. The way they are positioned makes the game here abundantly clear.

If we do in fact go in the toilet (and there is no way for anyone to know that now. Its a long season), you all can smugly sit here and say "Ollie needs to go Right now!" every time we lose a game. You feel good about a UConn loss, your position is made. (Even though its not ;you think it is).

But if they reel off some wins and actually get better as a team over the course of the season you will all be here reveling in the success of a young team getting better.

Its a win/win for you. You can feel like a genius in the teams misery (when applicable) to mitigate the hurt losing does to your oh so fragile psyches. And a win, hell ,is a win (because youre supposedly a UConn fan; there should be some semblance of satisfaction out of one of those still....I hope)

But its not a win/win for the program you profess to love. They need our support. The Players absolutely deserve our support. And Kevin Ollie who brought us a National title 3.5 years ago and is not going anywhere for any time soon (for a myriad of reasons)deserves our support.

You can take these fire Ollie petitions (Marc Diamonte and the 43 mouth breathers, Im looking at you) and shove them straight up your Scalitos. You can place them next to the Fire Ollie threads and the Dan Hurley threads and every other piece of premature misery that gets manufactured here.

Im no Sunshiner ,(thanks ECU for the phrase!) . But I find our fans performance more disappointing than the teams at this point in the season.

But I think all you whiners are good mojo. I will very much enjoy the victory against Syracuse tomorrow and then enjoy making sure every one of you so down on us doesnt extract any enjoyment out of it. You dont deserve it.
Save the funerals and wakes for the end of the season when talking about a coaching change has a slight bit more realism. Now is the time to get down to MSG and root your 6-2 Huskies to a victory over the super pathetic Syracuse Orange.
If you hate 6-2 Kevin Ollie more than Syracuse, I question if you were ever even a UConn fan.

Excellent post! One of the best I have ever read on the Boneyard. Thankyou!

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
Im fine with people saying what they are thinking, but it doesnt amount to zero. Lets not kid ourselves. Jacobs piece the other day I promise you was largely based on him scanning this site. Recruits and players families scan this site.
Does that mean I think people should stifle their opinions because people are reading them? Absolutely not. As you point out its a message board. It is its purpose. But it does not exist in a vacuum.
This is absolutely true. When I posted the pic that is my avatar for the Cinci game back in early 2016, UConn's social media folks contacted me about using the image on their social media and in the UConn magazine. I know it's an anecdotal example, but August is absolutely correct that this site is looked at by more than just avid fans.

Reaction Score
Im fine with people saying what they are thinking, but it doesnt amount to zero. Lets not kid ourselves. Jacobs piece the other day I promise you was largely based on him scanning this site. Recruits and players families scan this site.
Does that mean I think people should stifle their opinions because people are reading them? Absolutely not. As you point out its a message board. It is its purpose. But it does not exist in a vacuum.
As much as we may like to, we can’t hide reality, just like we can’t hide the fact that game attendance is abysmal all time low. Sadly it’s there for all to see.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If the onus were entirely on the point guard to create good shots for the team then there wouldn't even be a need for a coach in the first place.

Why are you reading in the word "entirely"? Who said "entirely"? The best PG make their teammates better. That is the job. Right now, Adams isn't doing that job. He's scoring fairly well, and is a fairly effective SG, despite the fact that his outside shot has been off. This team is better when he plays like a PG.

Reaction Score
Why are you reading in the word "entirely"? Who said "entirely"? The best PG make their teammates better. That is the job. Right now, Adams isn't doing that job. He's scoring fairly well, and is a fairly effective SG, despite the fact that his outside shot has been off. This team is better when he plays like a PG.

And what would be your examples of Adams not deferring to wide open teammates? Can't fail at running an offense if there's no offense being run in the first place.

Reaction Score
Agree. But a lot of bad stuff happened to UConn after 2011. Loss of conference, loss of scholarships, loss of reputation, a ban, 3 players transferred, etc.
Ollie improved UConn's status when he got here in 13 and 14. He did not come here at its peak which is what was stated
I suppose that’s all in the definition of “peak.” Many folks would say 18 months removed from a National Championship and 3.5 years from another final four - not to mention the list of lottery picks, NBA all stars, etc was pretty “peak-ish”. I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree on that...as well as your take on Ollie improving UConn’s status in ‘13 & ‘14. That being said, it’s mind-numbing to see how far that status has fallen...I’d guess we agree on that.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Oh yeah, inheriting a talented roster at a marquee program was definitely overshadowed by a 1 year postseason ban and loss of 1 scholarship per year over, what, 2 years?

I love when "UConn Fans" use a Syracuse fans argument on why we dont get to count our titles.

Reaction Score
I love when "UConn Fans" use a Syracuse fans argument on why we dont get to count our titles.

You must not be interested in the possibility of a 5th title at some point. Can't trust the rationale of anyone that likes Arby's to the extent that you do, can't trust 'em.

Reaction Score
Uh, you wrote "massive success." Not decent. And, a response to you isn't an "attack."

Ok let me clear it up.

2015-16 was an acceptable season. Successful yes, but something that should be expected around here.

Now that same season would be seen as a massive success. If we made the round of 32 this year, or next year would both be seen as massive successes given where we are right now as a program.

So what used to be a baseline type season is now a massive success. That incredible drop in expectations and standards says a lot about the program and the job KO has done running it.

Clear enough for you?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
You must not be interested in the possibility of a 5th title at some point.

Very interested. You mentioned Villanova, Gonzaga, Witchita, and Cinci. There is ONE title between those behemoths you say are so much better than us. and Villanovas just happened. With coaches that at minimum more than DOUBLE and in other cases Triple the amount of time the coaches took to build into that. Kevin Ollie also has one title. I like our chances of both KO and the team (over the long haul) getting better.

Reaction Score
Very interested. You mentioned Villanova, Gonzaga, Witchita, and Cinci. There is ONE title between those behemoths you say are so much better than us. and Villanovas just happened. With coaches that at minimum more than DOUBLE and in other cases Triple the amount of time the coaches took to build into that. Kevin Ollie also has one title. I like our chances of both KO and the team (over the long haul) getting better.

KO didn't have to build anything August. He took a national powerhouse program and in 5 years we can barely beat mid majors and cant even dominate the northeast. You are making a lot of really bad arguments right now, which is unusual for you.

If you believe in KO to turn it around, that's great. And I hope he does as well. But there is very little evidence to support this belief right now given how things have been going the last few years. I'm willing to give him the end of the year but we need to improve a heck of a lot in a very short amount of time, something that isn't exactly a hallmark of his teams.

Reaction Score

Oh, you like our chances? Why didn't you just say so? You've sold me!

I reckon making the tournament is a prerequisite to actually winning the damn thing. How's Ollie been doing with regards to that?

P.S. Didn't respond to the rest of what you wrote because I'm not wasting my time with that bait. You're better than that.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Oh, you like our chances? Why didn't you just say so? You've sold me!

I reckon making the tournament is a prerequisite to actually winning the damn thing. How's Ollie been doing with regards to that?

P.S. Didn't respond to the rest of what you wrote because I'm not wasting my time with that bait. You're better than that.

Made 2 missed 2. 7-1 NCAA tourney record. Since you asked.

Reaction Score
Made 2 missed 2. 7-1 NCAA tourney record. Since you asked.

And the program definitely seems to be trending in the right direction in the 3+ years following a title won with a team that was predominantly made up of players that Calhoun brought in, along with nearly day-to-day oversight, right?

Or, to put another way, the program has certainly looked prettay prettay good ever since the players being brought in and the schematics to utilize them fell under the sole discretion of Kevin Ollie, AMIRITE?!

Reaction Score
Isn't it a fair point that there is no possible way that THIS current season gets better if Ollie is fired in the middle of it or becomes a lame duck defacto firing during the season? Then doesn't that mean we should all pipe down in terms of global (no need for rose colored but limit to game short-term criticisms) Ollie comments? If everyone is in favor of winning games it seems rather obvious that in the short-term Ollie & the boys learning & building is the due north.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
And what would be your examples of Adams not deferring to wide open teammates? Can't fail at running an offense if there's no offense being run in the first place.

Have you watched any of our games? Those would be the examples. I'm not knocking Adams here. I think this is the role Ollie erroneously gave him...again.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Nova has two and I think Cinci does as well, although those are ancient.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Nova has two and I think Cinci does as well, although those are ancient.

1985 with Rollie. Yeah, no. I didnt count anything other than a KO title.

We arent going there. They were in the toilet for years after that.

We are comparing
Jay Wright
Mark Few
Mick Cronin
Greg Marshall

to KO

They in their current form are looked at as KO's measuring stick, but the haters fail to take "time in" comparisons as anything valid.

Reaction Score
Have you watched any of our games? Those would be the examples. I'm not knocking Adams here. I think this is the role Ollie erroneously gave him...again.

Of all the things to get on this team and on Ollie about, I'm not sure Jalen running point is one of them. It's not like we've been watching Golden State when Gilbert has been handling the ball.

Reaction Score
1985 with Rollie. Yeah, no. I didnt count anything other than a KO title.

We arent going there. They were in the toilet for years after that.

We are comparing
Jay Wright
Mark Few
Mick Cronin
Greg Marshall

to KO

They in their current form are looked at as KO's measuring stick, but the haters fail to take "time in" comparisons as anything valid.

1 title = lifetime gig. Context and circumstances apparently do not matter one bit.

By that logic the firing of Jerry Reese by the Giants is an absolute TRAVESTY.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Of all the things to get on this team and on Ollie about, I'm not sure Jalen running point is one of them. It's not like we've been watching Golden State when Gilbert has been handling the ball.

Neither has been great, but Gilbert looks to pass a little bit more, if not enough. When Jalen is playing with Gilbert, Jalen is a SG. What he doesn't do well, is shift back to PG mode when Gilbert is out. If Ollie views Anderson as the PG when he is in with Jalen, then Anderson needs to stop deferring so completely to Jalen and distribute the ball. I think this is fixable, but this team is going nowhere until it gets better ball movement and distribution, including involvement of the bigs in the offense. We run 50 pick and rolls a game and pass the ball back to the rolling screener zero times. Makes us easy to defend.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom