To all those predicting our demise. | Page 10 | The Boneyard

To all those predicting our demise.

Reaction Score
Well yeah, the same way renewing a large contract customer you've had for years is better than losing it. The owner or sales manager may not notice your customer renewed but he's damn well gonna notice if he didn't.

I'm talking in the context of how the NCAA committe might weight particular wins and losses. I could care less about the hypocrites. ;)

You don't think sales managers measure retention rates as well as new business development? Certainly all competent ones do.

Reaction Score
You don't think sales managers measure retention rates as well as new business development? Certainly all competent ones do.

Do you think Dave Benedict measures OT wins against Monmouth and Columbia against a blowout at the hands of Arkansas, or does he lump all three in his "crappy" category?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Do you think Dave Benedict measures OT wins against Monmouth and Columbia against a blowout at the hands of Arkansas, or does he lump all three in his "crappy" category?

I dont think an AD takes that myopic a view when making coaching evaluations which have way more far reaching implications.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
One guy looks unhappy -> KO's lost the team; he's gotta go.

Ben Gordon looked miserable for three years. Some guys just don't smile.

Reaction Score
I dont think an AD takes that myopic a view when making coaching evaluations which have way more far reaching implications.
If he was a sales manager, he might, and quite frankly to some degree he is.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
No one is arguing that there aren't red flags out. No one. But we're in the season, so most UConn fans will see how it plays out and will root for them to play better and win games. A red flag is a warning. What's important is not whether you have a warning that you may not succeed. What is important is that you succeed or you don't.

Turning it around would make for a very exciting season but it's akin to think a bowl game was still likely after losing to Missou.

Reaction Score
Turning it around would make for a very exciting season but it's akin to think a bowl game was still likely after losing to Missou.
Nice comparison, I for one think Randy Edsall will right the ship after next year. Not worried much about football, much more worried about men's basketball. That ship is spelled Titanic.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Nice comparison, I for one think Randy Edsall will right the ship after next year. Not worried much about football, much more worried about men's basketball. That ship is spelled Titanic.

To be fair, right the ship in football means a very different thing than right the ship for basketball.

But wih the way next years recruits keep rising, seeing what a akinjo/Mathews/Wilson lineup looks like is mighty intriguing. Squint closely and you can see the core of a team that can make some noise in the tourney in say 2019 or 2020.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

Of course they do. Just like the selection committee would. There are minimum standards and maybe one of the standards is dont lose to a 200+ RPI team because it sticks out like a sore thumb

Last edited:

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

AD David Benedict better take a more holistic view rather than just looking at individual performances or even wins and losses. If this team plays better at the end of the season and shows that it has turned the corner and we don't make the NCAAs, I'd take Ollie back. Not everything one might use to judge a situation is quantifiable.

Reaction Score

Wait -- are you really asking whether an AD has the same reaction to a bad loss as he does to a bad win? Seriously, LMFAO.

Reaction Score
Wait -- are you really asking whether an AD has the same reaction to a bad loss as he does to a bad win? Seriously, LMFAO.
In this case...yes....and two bad wins, not one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
AD David Benedict better take a more holistic view rather than just looking at individual performances or even wins and losses. If this team plays better at the end of the season and shows that it has turned the corner and we don't make the NCAAs, I'd take Ollie back. Not everything one might use to judge a situation is quantifiable.
I'll give you that, if we go deep into the NIT, maybe that's an indication that he's turning things around, but it's a BIG BIG "if".

Reaction Score
I'll give you that, if we go deep into the NIT, maybe that's an indication that he's turning things around, but it's a BIG BIG "if".
So now, the goal is an NIT bid and going deep in the NIT? This is hilarious! Are we back in the early 80's?

pj

Reaction Score
So now, the goal is an NIT bid and going deep in the NIT? This is hilarious! Are we back in the early 80's?

We're back in 1988. Young coach building his reputation, one step at a time.

Reaction Score
We're back in 1988. Young coach building his reputation, one step at a time.

I see what you are saying. BUT...

After 4 National Champhionships, the standards should be so much higher. Nothing crazy, but a regular in the tourney with a puncher's chance to make some noise. I just feel like we are so far from that now.

pj

Reaction Score
I see what you are saying. BUT...

After 4 National Champhionships, the standards should be so much higher. Nothing crazy, but a regular in the tourney with a puncher's chance to make some noise. I just feel like we are so far from that now.

The history of schools after the retirement of Hall of Fame coaches shows a lot of mean reversion. Add in the drop from the top bball conference to the #7 or so conference and you have to dial back expectations. We can still get back to the top of the heap if KO can build his own reputation. It starts with little wins. This year, the NIT would be a triumph. We don't have a true point guard on the roster unless Alterique comes back, also no true center.

Reaction Score
The history of schools after the retirement of Hall of Fame coaches shows a lot of mean reversion. Add in the drop from the top bball conference to the #7 or so conference and you have to dial back expectations. We can still get back to the top of the heap if KO can build his own reputation. It starts with little wins. This year, the NIT would be a triumph. We don't have a true point guard on the roster unless Alterique comes back, also no true center.
We are THE UNIVERSITY of CONNECTICUT! The NIT should never be a “triumph” for this program. So if that’s a triumph, is the normal expectation to not even make the NIT???

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom