TJ Weist Will Interview Tomorrow | Page 2 | The Boneyard

TJ Weist Will Interview Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It doesn't matter whether Weist had won every game he led or lost everyone, what does matter is if he can bring in a higher caliber recruit than the past. That should be the main qualification for anyone interviewing. "Can you and your staff bring in enough talent so that you can get UConn into the D-1 playoffs for a national title?" Anything less should be unacceptable. If he can do that then the other stuff(pacifying the likes of Burton and the Boneyard cynics, expanding the fan base, filling the Rent, ect) takes care of itself.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Well if I was interviewing for a job I certainly wouldn't tell my potential future employer that at times I sucked at my last job.
What else would there be to talk about?

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
What else would there be to talk about?

Overall vision for the program and how you plan to get there?
What resources you will need (i.e. paying assistants)?
What coaches you plan on keeping or not from the existing staff?
Your non-coaching activities (i.e. boosters, student body, media)?
How / where you want to recruit?
Offensive and defensive philosophies?

Not sure how much Warde / TJW have discussed any of this other than maybe Offensive Philosophies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
You misread my post. I was taking a friendly jab at one of my buddies (Alliance).

Reaction Score
I think that it's all about perception. Somebody convinced me of that yesterday. Weist may be the best guy but unless we shake it up from top to bottom then the perception is that we kept the status quo. Weist will get hired if our top 2 guys turn us down. For me he is a pretty safe keep. I don't know what more you could have asked the guy to do really. I know the last three were against not the best, but if you don't think that we payed better in all the games that he coached then you missed something - even the losses.

Reaction Score
Jeremy Fowler ‏@JFowlerCBS35m
#UConn to interview interim coach T.J. Weist for the full-time job tomorrow, per source. Won last three to end year.
I like TJ and what he has done so far, and if Warde/Susan give him the job I would not be totally against it like some on this board. That being said, if Warde/Susan are going to be influenced by what the program boosters want then I don't think TJ will get the job. Also, Warde might be under a tiny bit of pressure to get someone who while being a terrific football coach and recruiter, might also help facilitate UCONN's quest for a power conference invite (Narduzzi, Herman, etc). As said above, maybe TJ is offered the OC job if the new coach gives it his blessing.

Reaction Score
What TJ hopefully did with the 3 wins in a row was essentially take the second tier coaches completely out of the running. Guys like Quinn or Ambrose should not be in the discussion now. There reaches a point when going down the list of candidates that TJ is the better option. How far down the list is a matter of opinion. If Narduzzi, Lembo, and Clawson say no then TJ may be the guy. Those odds seem pretty slim given the money UCONN will likely offer. One may go to Wake. I don't think the Rutgers job wil open now that they are Bowl eligible. Narduzzi may wait things out to see what else opens up or he could take a nice raise at MSU and stay put.

There should be no caveats put on the hire about keeping TJ as the OC. The new coach should have full control of his assistants. TJ will have a job next year as his late season turnaround will get him noticed.

pj

Reaction Score
Point is they should all count. Don't forget the colossal blunder in the USF game for not calling the timeout. He gets props for how they finished, but he also totally abandoned the run at Cincy when it was working. Can't see how you just count the good and discard the bad.

Those are easily correctable learning experiences. Weist is a gem of a coach, he's managed to get the offense going which, given a relative lack of playmakers (saving Geremy Davis), is quite an accomplishment, and clearly the players respond to him. Anything related to offense, I have confidence he can manage and learn from his mistakes.

But it's still a big step up to manage a whole coaching staff and team, oversee recruiting, and so forth. I personally would like to see something like Narduzzi as head coach and Weist as OC, but give him a big raise. Let him get some experience as a coordinator and maybe give him some extra responsibilities to prepare him to be a head coach. Then if Narduzzi moves on, Weist will be ready.

But I would not mind if Weist ends up being the hire. I have confidence in him. I just think he might need some time to establish himself in recruits' minds - it could take years to prove he can get guys to the NFL, to build up recruiting connections, and to get a staff solidified, since he's never worked on defense or had to hire defensive guys. If we had a guy like Narduzzi and retained Weist, we'd have defense and offense covered, plus visibility with recruits. Weist would be a solid low-budget alternative in my mind.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
Yes it takes miracles to beat Temple, Rutgers and Memphis but I'm the one who needs to be punched. I'm might be an a**hole but at least I'm not a passive aggressive b*tch.

Then again MAC coaches only beat MAC teams. So why are we so impressed?

Reaction Score
How bout the previous 5 games? Not part of the interview process as well?

It is perfectly acceptable to give him props for the job he did the last three weeks, and not think that automatically gets him the job. He is getting a legit interview it seems. Lets see where it goes.
that is such a lame response... his first game, he almost beat USF. and if he didn't do what he thought was the best for the program, he probably could have gone with Whitmer, and won that game.
and then you are really going to blast TJ for not turning the program around to beat UCF (a top 15 team), Louisville (a top 20 team), and Cincy (a top 30 team). that doesn't even factor in the state of the team he was given and the mid-season adjustments he made.

If TJ doesn't get the job, it's not going to be because of the first 5 games.

you sound like a parrot... "first five games..." "first five games..."

Reaction Score
Those are easily correctable learning experiences. Weist is a gem of a coach, he's managed to get the offense going which, given a relative lack of playmakers (saving Geremy Davis), is quite an accomplishment, and clearly the players respond to him. Anything related to offense, I have confidence he can manage and learn from his mistakes.

But it's still a big step up to manage a whole coaching staff and team, oversee recruiting, and so forth. I personally would like to see something like Narduzzi as head coach and Weist as OC, but give him a big raise. Let him get some experience as a coordinator and maybe give him some extra responsibilities to prepare him to be a head coach. Then if Narduzzi moves on, Weist will be ready.

But I would not mind if Weist ends up being the hire. I have confidence in him. I just think he might need some time to establish himself in recruits' minds - it could take years to prove he can get guys to the NFL, to build up recruiting connections, and to get a staff solidified, since he's never worked on defense or had to hire defensive guys. If we had a guy like Narduzzi and retained Weist, we'd have defense and offense covered, plus visibility with recruits. Weist would be a solid low-budget alternative in my mind.
if possible, I'm liking the idea of Weist as the OC... especially if we bring in a defensive minded hc. it may be likely because a coordinator may not have his guy.
And if we can keep the momentum TJ has gotten that is another win.

Reaction Score
that is such a lame response... his first game, he almost beat USF. and if he didn't do what he thought was the best for the program, he probably could have gone with Whitmer, and won that game.
and then you are really going to blast TJ for not turning the program around to beat UCF (a top 15 team), Louisville (a top 20 team), and Cincy (a top 30 team). that doesn't even factor in the state of the team he was given and the mid-season adjustments he made.

If TJ doesn't get the job, it's not going to be because of the first 5 games.

you sound like a parrot... "first five games..." "first five games..."
Your ready to hand this job to TJ based off 2.5, games worth of performance? Were you ready to do that at half time of the Temple game? If Warde interviews his candidates and determines Weist is the guy, I"m all in. But to do so on 2.5, games worth of positive results and be given a total mulligan for things like starting Boyle over Cochran, not calling the timeout in the USF game, abandoning the run completely at Cincy when the game was in the balance.

I'm just glad the search is being done by Warde, and not the boneyard.

Reaction Score
Your ready to hand this job to TJ based off 2.5, games worth of performance? Were you ready to do that at half time of the Temple game? If Warde interviews his candidates and determines Weist is the guy, I"m all in. But to do so on 2.5, games worth of positive results and be given a total mulligan for things like starting Boyle over Cochran, not calling the timeout in the USF game, abandoning the run completely at Cincy when the game was in the balance.

not at all. I'm just not going to discount the success of winning 3 games in a row after going 10-18 (ironically teams like rutgers, temple, syracuse, towson, and buffalo are included in that record as well). 3-5 looks pretty good, especially when you factor in that 3 of those games were against top 25 teams.
Are there better options than weist? yes. do i like those options better? yes.
I think, like many, getting a bigger name brings thoughts of a P5 invite. bringing in TJ sends a message that we may not have that coming.

as for boyle over cochran, that's not an issue at all. boyle was higher on the depth chart, and he got the shot first. when that didn't pan out, he went next in line.
I expect a similar competition next spring, except CC has the leg up instead of Whitmer.
And deservedly so.
I think people are all saying the same thing, but a few who are completely opposed to TJ. get the best coach possible. if that is TJ, for whatever reason, then fine. He's our guy. If narduzzi or Lembo, or even saban are options, then WM should sniff those out.
I absolutely agree, hiring TJ without interviewing other candidates would be a mistake. just not hearing anyone say TJ should be given the position without that process. just a lot of people responding as if that's what is being said.

Reaction Score
Then again MAC coaches only beat MAC teams. So why are we so impressed?
YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME! Do you have any idea what great coaches have come out of the MAC?
Only a few lightweight coaches like:
  • Bo Schembechler
  • Woody Hayes
  • Ara Parseghian
  • Urban Meyer
That's all... And here are more. No question, the MAC t is a cradle of Coaches
http://www.vandelaysports.com/football/coaches.html#others

We could do much worse than Pete Lembo and Dave Clawson, both very impressive coaches. I was
particularly impressed with both the offensive and defensive game plan, Clawson's staff put together for
the MAC championship game vs. Northern Illinois. Bowling Green won 47-27. NI was ranked 14th. BG successfully kept Heisman hopeful Jorden Lynch in check for most of the game.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Perception matters to an extent - but you go with the coach you think will win the most games. That changes perceptions.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've been thinking about since yesterday's win. I think we are in a good position having a solid coach interested in the position, who is already supported by the players. The bar should be "does this candidate bring more than TJ", with TJ being given the benefit of the doubt. Think of it like overturning a call on the field. You need clear and convincing evidence that the new HC candidate is an upgrade. That's a standard that eliminates Ambrose from the discussion day 1.

As I pointed out on the chat yesterday, if TJ were still at Cinci, he'd be at the top of everyone's wish list. Something think about.

Last edited:

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

This. It's amazing that Weist has three wins against mediocre at best competition and we already have a cadre of Weist apologists. Unlike some, I expect a new coach to be able to beat a putrid USF team with two weeks of practice and not make excuses. Weist didn't make excuses after that loss and we shouldn't either. He seems to have improved as a coach since then, but that's for WM to determine. If he decided TJ is the right choice I'll support that going forward. But I never want to hear excuses for losing to a USF level team in the future regardless of who the new coach is.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Flood 2.0

Look at his record last year just to see how Flood started out. Hell, he actually started out much better than Weist. Hire a real coach or be in the same crappy position that RU is currently trying to resolve.
And speaking of Flood, yesterday's win assures that you'll get another year of quality coaching from him. Enjoy that!

Congratulations on going bowling again this year. I have to say I wasn't sure that you'd get there.

Reaction Score
God forbid we don't keep TJ and he goes on to rock it at some other school.

it's a risk, no question. But where can he 'rock it' where he can make as much or more than he can here as an OC?

Assuming UConn can maintain if not increase TJ's current salary of $450K don't see many places that can match or beat it.

If TJ can be a good solider with the Sunshine Boys, don't see why he can't do the same with the New Guy.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I've been thinking about since yesterday's win. I think we are in a good position having a solid coach interested in the position, who is already supported by the players. The bar should be, does this candidate bring more than TJ, with TJ being given the benefit of the doubt. Think of it like overturning a call on the field. You need clear and convincing evidence that the new HC candidate is an upgrade. That's a standard that eliminates Ambrose from the discussion day 1.

As I pointed out on the chat yesterday, if TJ were still at Cinci, he'd be at the top of everyone's wish list. Something think about.

I think you measure him on his merits, some of which you quoted but not use them as the measuring stick for other candidates. If you have a high opinion of TJ, and I do, it is unlikely that an outsider will match his passion for the university, his familiarity with the program, or the support of the current players. You effectively and subconciously rig the process in his favor.

Instead, start with this. What is required from a HC at a championship FBS program? What special traits are required for the HC at UConn? What weaknesses am I willing to tolerate, if I can not attract the perfect candidate or a candidate is especially strong in other requirements? How will I prioritize/evaluate those requirements and which are absolute must haves?

This is how I go about the hiring process, ancedotal accomplishments are data points for evaluation. On their own they mean nothing, since they are biased by the opinions and or support of factors that won't be present if the candidate in fron of you is hired. This is why Super Bowl coaches don't necesarily win Super Bowls elsewhere and why hot coordinators or FCS head coaches flame out or why certain previously successful D-1/NFL coaches take BCS teams and turn them into laughing stocks.

Nick Saban talks about process, everything is process and he includes all aspects of the student-athlete experience in his process. Same was true of Tressel. We can't hire either of these guys, but we can find someone who believes in and has executed the winning process. When a candidate tells me about some experience or accomplishment, I ask how they did it, how'd they start, what was the plan, what challenges they encountered, how did they overcome them, who else was involved, what did they learn, would they use the same plane next time and why?. Occaisionally, I also learn something from the discussion.

Reaction Score
A Sunday Interview Update:

UConn: Athletic director Warde Manuel begins official interviews today. Interim head coach TJ Weist is on the docket. Would think that Dave Clawson would be today as well. We'll keep you posted.

http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate