TJ Not One of the Assistants Who Announced He is Moving On | The Boneyard

TJ Not One of the Assistants Who Announced He is Moving On

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My dream scenario redeploys Buggs to DB's & special teams, Wholley moves back to TE (and remains recruiting coordinator), TJ as Associate (or Assistant) HC & WR's, Day as OC & QB's and Foley as OL.

TJ recruits Ohio, Buggs recruits PA, Diaco recruits NJ (and closes the deal in all regions), we bring three new coaches on D (DL, LB, DB; one also being DC) and a new RB coach and of those four we have three recruiters, one for NY/New England, one for Maryland/Northern & Eastern Va and one for Florida.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'd like to see Weist continue what he started and if Shane Day was calling plays, it seemed to work out while Cochran was in there. As far as Foley, I can take him or leave him. How much talent does it take to say to a Guard, see that guy in front of you? Push him backwards 5 yards. I thought the issue with "Coach" DeLeone was that the zone blocking techniques were too cumbersome and confusing and the players weren't comfortable. Man-Over blocking is what programs have been doing since the beginning of time. You can still pull and trap, but all 5 lineman have their specific assignments.

As far as the defensive side of the ball? In Diaco I trust.

Reaction Score
Ron Vanderlinden is available as an LB coach. He has had a few good ones.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The only guy I'm dead set on bringing back is Foley.

But hey, anytime you can bring back staff from 5,5,3 win seasons, you have to do it.

It's a new coach and a new era in UConn football. Move on people.

Reaction Score
Per Jeff Jacobs. I would love if he stayed on as OC / Associate Head Coach. Then (dreaming) keep Day as QB coach, Foley on line, and get a new RB coach.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...otball-bob-diaco-1213-20131212,0,210101.story

The link you provide has no reference to your topic.. It's DC's article focused on our new HC... Couldn't find the Jeff Jacobs stuff you mention but I did like that Jacobs article - http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-jacobs-column-1213-20131212,0,3483601.column

Reaction Score
If I had to guess, Kermit Buggs is one of the assistants not coming back. He's got an accomplished resume and probably can get another job elsewhere. I also wouldn't be surprised if Hank Hughes refused an interview, just because he's had a real long run here and who knows if he can see himself getting up for another DC.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The only guy I'm dead set on bringing back is Foley.

But hey, anytime you can bring back staff from 5,5,3 win seasons, you have to do it.

It's a new coach and a new era in UConn football. Move on people.

On the defensive side of the ball, absolutely. Coaches and personnel were mismanaged offensively. I also feel you need to keep a couple for continuity. Otherwise it's a ground up build.

Husky25

Reaction Score
If I had to guess, Kermit Buggs is one of the assistants not coming back. He's got an accomplished resume and probably can get another job elsewhere. I also wouldn't be surprised if Hank Hughes refused an interview, just because he's had a real long run here and who knows if he can see himself getting up for another DC.
For some reason I thought Hughes was older than he is...I wouldn't be surprised if Hughes is fed up with UConn. He's been jerked around so much over the last few years and it may be time for a clean break. If Diaco is looking to bring his ND DLine coach over from South Bend to be DC, I doubt Hughes is receptive to another demotion to the D-line coach.

Reaction Score
For some reason I thought Hughes was older than he is...I wouldn't be surprised if Hughes is fed up with UConn. He's been jerked around so much over the last few years and it may be time for a clean break. If Diaco is looking to bring his ND DLine coach over from South Bend to be DC, I doubt Hughes is receptive to another demotion to the D-line coach.
Jerked around??? It is very rare for a coach to be at a school as long as he has been especially through a coaching change. In the coaching world, when you don't have to move your family around and uproot your kids to a new school system, that is good stuff.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
On the defensive side of the ball, absolutely. Coaches and personnel were mismanaged offensively. I also feel you need to keep a couple for continuity. Otherwise it's a ground up build.

The last paragraph:

"Manuel said that some assistants already have said they intend to move on. T.J. Weist, who served as interim coach the last eight games after Paul Pasqualoni was fired after an 0-4 start, is not one of those assistants."

Husky25

Reaction Score
Defensive Coordinator -> Interim Head Coach -> Potential full time Coach -> DL Coach -> Back to DC (and criticized for not having as good of a D as Don Brown did)-> No interview for HC. This will be the 4th head coach during his tenure at UConn and his new boss, as a former D Coordinator himself, will certainly want to put his mark on that side of the ball.

At 43 years old (what he was in 2001 when he came on), he may have had school aged kids. I can see not want to up root them. My bet is at 56, his kids are probably college aged or older. My guess is that the school thing is not as much of an anchor as it once was.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if a few of these coaches end up at CCSU

Husky25

Reaction Score
The last paragraph:

"Manuel said that some assistants already have said they intend to move on. T.J. Weist, who served as interim coach the last eight games after Paul Pasqualoni was fired after an 0-4 start, is not one of those assistants."
What are you getting at? I already said that I wouldn't mind seeing Coach Weist and Coach Day provide the continuity.

I was responding to the "...anytime you can bring back staff from 5,5,3 win seasons, you have to do it." comment. The offensive coaching personnel was mismanaged under the previous regime until Coach Weist became interim head coach.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if a few of these coaches end up at CCSU
I don't know if you mean Hughes specifically, but do you think there might be a pay cut even going from DC at a D1 school to a HC in the Northeast Conference?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
What are you getting at? I already said that I wouldn't mind seeing Coach Weist and Coach Day provide the continuity.

I was responding to the "...anytime you can bring back staff from 5,5,3 win seasons, you have to do it." comment. The offensive coaching personnel was mismanaged under the previous regime until Coach Weist became interim head coach.

Sorry, meant to respond to KTuck.

Husky25

Reaction Score
TJ Weist ‏@CoachTJWeist9m
Thanks to the UConn people who supported this team.The staff & players showed undeniable class, character and dignity, but most of all Pride

TJ Weist ‏@CoachTJWeist3m
Thanks to Warde & President Herbst for allowing me to lead this program. It was an honor and I'll forever be grateful for the experience

I'd love to know what this means. Is Coach Weist definitely gone (even though he wouldn't mind staying)? Is there some sort of writing on the wall? Interesting timing as it was posted above that Coach Diaco wants to meet with the current staff next Mon.-Wed.

It could just be a simple as the classy thing to do before all the chaos ensues next week...and demonstrates that I have too much time on my hands...;)

Reaction Score
It definitely could go either way but those tweets sort of give me more of a on the way out feeling

Reactions: THC

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
I'd like to see Weist continue what he started and if Shane Day was calling plays, it seemed to work out while Cochran was in there. As far as Foley, I can take him or leave him. How much talent does it take to say to a Guard, see that guy in front of you? Push him backwards 5 yards. I thought the issue with "Coach" DeLeone was that the zone blocking techniques were too cumbersome and confusing and the players weren't comfortable. Man-Over blocking is what programs have been doing since the beginning of time. You can still pull and trap, but all 5 lineman have their specific assignments.

As far as the defensive side of the ball? In Diaco I trust.
Good OLine coaches are worth their weight in gold. I am a friend of a retired Pro Bowl center and he can go on for hours about tendencies, techniques, foot and hand placement and on and on. The basics are easy, the minutia takes time and knowledge to teach. I played 2 years of CFB at Central back in the old days and he taught me more about line play in an hour than I learned in my career. He thinks Foley is great and that all the endorsement I need. He claims, as long as the players are coach-able, a good line coach can, in time, turn a bunch of division 2 type athletes into a solid, functional D1 unit. Give that same guy D1 talent to work with and we're on the way, once again, to a potent running attack.

Unless BD has someone good in the hopper, Foley is a key guy to keep.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
TJ Weist ‏@CoachTJWeist9m
Thanks to the UConn people who supported this team.The staff & players showed undeniable class, character and dignity, but most of all Pride

TJ Weist ‏@CoachTJWeist3m
Thanks to Warde & President Herbst for allowing me to lead this program. It was an honor and I'll forever be grateful for the experience

Bummer. Sounds like he's gone. Written in the past tense without alluding to the future.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Hughes is the one coach I don't wanna see come back. His Defense this year was terrible and I haven't been impressed with him overall. I am indifferent to the Offensive side but I do like the thought of having some continuity on that side of the ball. Diaco is a defensive guy and know what he wants there, let him bring in the coordinators who will implement his system. If he thinks Foley, Weist, and Day are good for the offense then bring them back. Remember, Weist wasn't here for the first two PP seasons and Foley was removed from his OL duties as well. When re-installed, there was a significant change for the last half of the season. We shall see.

I know people want to purge the staff of anyone related with PP but there is some talent there and Diaco thinks they fit his philosophy, I see no reason why it would be a bad move to bring them back.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Umm, if you can't deduct from those tweets that he's gone, I don't know what to tell you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom