Titans? Overstatement Voepel! | The Boneyard

Titans? Overstatement Voepel!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Mechelle Voepel overstates with "Titans return: High time UConn and Tennessee resume the game's greatest rivalry." Should be THE Titan and the Once Was resume playing each other. Greatest rivalry? Notre Dame and UCONN, yes. Tennessee, no.
Titans return: High time UConn-Tennessee rivalry resumes
"We have no idea if the game will live up to the (media manufactured) hype, but the (media manufactured) hype will be big, as it should (hardly) be. We've waited a long time."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Mechelle Voepel overstates with "Titans return: High time UConn and Tennessee resume the game's greatest rivalry." Should be THE Titan and the Once Was resume playing each other. Greatest rivalry? Notre Dame and UCONN, yes. Tennessee, no.
"We have no idea if the game will live up to the (media manufactured) hype, but the (media manufactured) hype will be big, as it should (hardly) be. We've waited a long time."
Whilst I never miss an opportunity to marginalize Tennessee, I have to agree with her. In the late 70's, Pat began her run as the greatest WCBB coach of the greatest WCBB program in history (at that time). She was the Kingpin of the sport until 1995 when UCONN "burst" onto the scene. Tenn won the next 3 NC's, but that was the beginning of the end.

Since Purdue in 1999, there have been 19 NC's won. Tennessee had 2 in those 19 years. No better than ND and Baylor (also 2 each). UCONN has won 10 in that time frame. The Godfather has taken over, and not only has UCONN passed Tennessee in most every conceivable category, save a few (total wins, maybe NCAA appearances, not sure what else), UCONN has now supplanted Tenn as the unequivocal greatest program in the history of WCBB - the measuring stick every other team stacks themselves up against.

Having said that, there are no other programs that come anywhere close to the historical pedigree of UCONN and Tennessee. No other coach has achieved anything close to what Geno and Pat achieved. No other regular season basketball game in the history of the sport had the hype or importance of the 22 games the 2 teams played. And in fairness, Tennessee has recruited well lately and will likely percolate around the top 10-15 with possible upside for the next several years.

I wish we did not renew the series. But I realize I'm in the minority, and therefore look forward to hopefully pummeling them into oblivion, or until Holly cancels the series again...

Reaction Score
Whilst I never miss an opportunity to marginalize Tennessee, I have to agree with her. In the late 70's, Pat began her run as the greatest WCBB coach of the greatest WCBB program in history (at that time). She was the Kingpin of the sport until 1995 when UCONN "burst" onto the scene. Tenn won the next 3 NC's, but that was the beginning of the end.

Since Purdue in 1999, there have been 19 NC's won. Tennessee had 2 in those 19 years. No better than ND and Baylor (also 2 each). UCONN has won 10 in that time frame. The Godfather has taken over, and not only has UCONN passed Tennessee in most every conceivable category, save a few (total wins, maybe NCAA appearances, not sure what else), UCONN has now supplanted Tenn as the unequivocal greatest program in the history of WCBB - the measuring stick every other team stacks themselves up against.

Having said that, there are no other programs that come anywhere close to the historical pedigree of UCONN and Tennessee. No other coach has achieved anything close to what Geno and Pat achieved. No other regular season basketball game in the history of the sport had the hype or importance of the 22 games the 2 teams played. And in fairness, Tennessee has recruited well lately and will likely percolate around the top 10-15 with possible upside for the next several years.

I wish we did not renew the series. But I realize I'm in the minority, and therefore look forward to hopefully pummeling them into oblivion, or until Holly cancels the series again...

Good post Eric.... points well taken... i think Voepel has inflated her headline.... "Titals return" ... well titans would be an accurate depiction 20 years ago..... and the game's greatest rivalry ... same thing....

I am with you... wish it didn't come back.... but i think it has chance of helping both programs.... for various reasons..... I salute Pat in her best years as a trailblazer and I am glad her namesake charity will be beneficiary of proceeds.....

I think of rivalry..... and chances for there to be a reprise of one with UT and UC..... Tenn had better coach their players up and quickly.... they recruit well but that seems to be the extent of their noise.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Voepel is a prisoner of the moment. She's been advocating the resumption of this series for years. She's basking in the after glow.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

The history of Tennessee/UCONN trumps ND/UCONN in my book because those games were almost always two goliaths going at it and regularly swapping spots as the best team. ND/UCONN has been the prime rivalry this decade, but more often than not ND has been a huge underdog to UCONN rather than it being two equal heavyweights going head to head. Notre Dame has been the pre-eminent number two program the last decade until they unexpectedly broke through this year. Tennessee won 5 titles from 1996-2008 and was predicted by many to win it all in other years including 1999, 2003 and 2005. What Notre Dame has accomplished this decade is fantastic, but they were not the heavyweight that Tennessee was during that time period.

During the rivalry (1995-2007), Tennessee and Connecticut absolutely dominated the sport. Combined they won 9 of 13 titles (which would continue to be 12 titles in 16 years extending to 2010), played head to head in the NCAA tournament in 7/13 years with 6 of those meetings coming in the Final Four or Championship. More often than not, the team that had the “it” player at the time won games—UCONN won games with Lobo, DT and the TASSK force, Tennessee usually won during the Holdsclaw and Parker era.

More than that, the rivalry really took the sport to a new level. No one questioned that Pat and Geno were the two top programs in basketball. Both programs were the gold standard. Attendance and fan support at both schools was at an all time high during this era, and I’m guessing attendance with many others programs was higher back then than it is today. At least one regular season game between the two was broadcast on CBS, and it was always THE game to watch that year. Geno and Pat never got along all that well and had very different demeanors and personalities. You had so many notable moments/personalities, Semeka “Boo” Randall getting into it with Abrosimova, Parker dunking in 2007, the coast to coast Rizzoti layup in 95, Sales drilling the 3pt shot in OT in 96, UCONN’s backdoor clinic in 2000, etc.

I love the ND/UCONN rivalry and think the games this decade have been incredible, but it’s not at the magnitude of Tennessee/UCONN. At least not yet anyway.

Reaction Score
Mechelle Voepel overstates with "Titans return: High time UConn and Tennessee resume the game's greatest rivalry." Should be THE Titan and the Once Was resume playing each other. Greatest rivalAry? Notre Dame and UCONN, yes. Tennessee, no.
After reading this article, it bugged me that it stated Tennessee was "stunned" in the NCAA 2nd Round by Oregon State? Oregon State has had a much better performance in the NCAA Tournament in the past 5 years than Tennessee. Tennessee was overranked all last season, and, it showed, when it came to the SEC and NCAA Tournaments. Total Hype by the media.

Reaction Score
She was the Kingpin of the sport until 1995 when UCONN "burst" onto the scene. Tenn won the next 3 NC's, but that was the beginning of the end.

If I may.......

No disrespect but I don't think Pat stopped being the Kingpin of the sport after a great UConn team defeat her squad in 1995. We all know UT won the next 3 titles and UConn was in the mix each year. I don't think the small world of women's basketball perceived UConn to be the dominant program but rather one that helped UT raise the bar and gave them a true peer and rival. The pendulum swung back with UConn winning in 2000 and 2002 with teams that were far superior to the LVs and I believe UConn would have won in 2001 had Abrosimova and Ralph been healthy.

The true acknowledgement that UConn was king of the mountain came in 2003 when a very good LVs team that had more experience and depth lost to DT and an unheralded group, though they were very talented. The 2003 and 2004 wins cemented UConn as the dominant program in the country. UT pulled off the 2007 and 2008 titles and I also believe they win in 2005 if Parker, Fuller, SWG and Spencer play in the FF. UT's true beginning of the end came in 2008-09. We will never know how much Pat's health had started to decline but the fade happened at the same time UConn started their remarkable decade long run that left UT far behind.

From the start of the 1994-95 season until the end of the 2007-2008 seasons, UConn and UT each won 5 titles. UT played in 11 Final Fours and UConn in 8. UConn won the overall series 13-9 with a 4-0 record in the National Finals. Honestly that puts Uconn as the overall better program during that time but UT would certainly be 1B.

I have no problems with UConn and never have. I will always think UT handled the Moore situation very poorly. The phrase Titans doesn't really apply anymore with the relative decline of UT but a lot can happen by January 2020. Last year's rosters would have easily given UConn a victory of whatever margin they wished. Is this good for the game? It will certainly draw some attention from media and it will be an almost guaranteed sellout. Truthfully I hope both schools embrace the history with recognizing players from those teams.

Reaction Score
5-6 years ago this headline would be understandable. However it's been 11 years since the two teams last played. So much has changed and I think for the present group of players on both teams it is fairly ancient history.

I don't expect much from this game and I think the media needs to be careful about unrealistic expectations too.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
The history of Tennessee/UCONN trumps ND/UCONN in my book because those games were almost always two goliaths going at it and regularly swapping spots as the best team. ND/UCONN has been the prime rivalry this decade, but more often than not ND has been a huge underdog to UCONN rather than it being two equal heavyweights going head to head. Notre Dame has been the pre-eminent number two program the last decade until they unexpectedly broke through this year. Tennessee won 5 titles from 1996-2008 and was predicted by many to win it all in other years including 1999, 2003 and 2005. What Notre Dame has accomplished this decade is fantastic, but they were not the heavyweight that Tennessee was during that time period.

During the rivalry (1995-2007), Tennessee and Connecticut absolutely dominated the sport. Combined they won 9 of 13 titles (which would continue to be 12 titles in 16 years extending to 2010), played head to head in the NCAA tournament in 7/13 years with 6 of those meetings coming in the Final Four or Championship. More often than not, the team that had the “it” player at the time won games—UCONN won games with Lobo, DT and the TASSK force, Tennessee usually won during the Holdsclaw and Parker era.

More than that, the rivalry really took the sport to a new level. No one questioned that Pat and Geno were the two top programs in basketball. Both programs were the gold standard. Attendance and fan support at both schools was at an all time high during this era, and I’m guessing attendance with many others programs was higher back then than it is today. At least one regular season game between the two was broadcast on CBS, and it was always THE game to watch that year. Geno and Pat never got along all that well and had very different demeanors and personalities. You had so many notable moments/personalities, Semeka “Boo” Randall getting into it with Abrosimova, Parker dunking in 2007, the coast to coast Rizzoti layup in 95, Sales drilling the 3pt shot in OT in 96, UCONN’s backdoor clinic in 2000, etc.

I love the ND/UCONN rivalry and think the games this decade have been incredible, but it’s not at the magnitude of Tennessee/UCONN. At least not yet anyway.

Certainly the history of Uconn v Tenn is greater. I am not doubting or arguing that. However, Tenn has slipped to T25 status, and is no longer considered the elite. While the talent is there, they can't seem to put it together . To bill this as anything other than two old rivals with a lot of bad blood between them resuming play, is nothing more than media hype. I personally don't care one way or the other that the two are playing again. Do I think it will be sold out, yes. Do I think a lot of college basketball world will be watching, sure. Beyond that, it is another game where Geno and Uconn will mop the floor with their opponent. The rivalry is long gone. This won't restart it. Geno, Pat and the collection of talent made that a great rivalry. Those days are gone. Talent is a bit more dispersed, and while Geno has shown how to keep a team at the top, Tennessee has fallen. I prefer to live in the present, not the past.

I appreciate what the two did for the game of women's basketball. But again, none of this can be replicated. I am sure by the time the first game happens we will all be sick to death of all the hype. Quite frankly, I am already sick to death of the hype, and its day 2.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom