Titanic | The Boneyard

Titanic

Reaction Score
My daughter wanted to watch this and I prepped her that it was three hours long. To my disbelief she watched the whole movie through and was captivated the entire time.

I saw it was made in 1998 and I will say this:

Its schmaltzy with the romance.
Amazingly the effects still are awe inspiring

It really holds up as a cinematic masterpiece. Especially considering how much CGI has advanced since it was made.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
I always enjoy this movie too (the most recent) except for the schmaltzy romance. Would prefer a different female lead; one that looks closer in age to Leonardo.

Reaction Score
My daughter wanted to watch this and I prepped her that it was three hours long. To my disbelief she watched the whole movie through and was captivated the entire time.

It really holds up as a cinematic masterpiece. Especially considering how much CGI has advanced since it was made.
I've seen it a few times and it has many memorable scenes. I couldn't imagine hanging onto the railings while the back of the boat is going vertical. Propeller guy. The woman reading to her children knowing they were going to drown was especially memorable.

Irish characters in the 1997 Titanic movie (irishcentral.com)

Reaction Score
I've seen it a few times and it has many memorable scenes. I couldn't imagine hanging onto the railings while the back of the boat is going vertical. Propeller guy. The woman reading to her children knowing they were going to drown was especially memorable.

Irish characters in the 1997 Titanic movie (irishcentral.com)
I remember going to see Titanic in theaters as a kid, owned it on VHS, then DVD, then Blu Ray. I went to see it again in theaters in 2012 during the special 3D release for the 100th anniversary of the sinking. It's a great movie, and every time I see it, I always think of the people on board. Being an avid cruiser, I cannot imagine what that could have been like. The part that gets me all the time is after the accident when the crew has the meeting with the Captain to discuss the damage and Thomas Andrews, the engineer, tells the reality that the ship will sink. I cannot imagine the guilt all of those guys were feeling at that moment because it was clear that the majority of people on the ship were going to die.

Reaction Score
I remember going to see Titanic in theaters as a kid, owned it on VHS, then DVD, then Blu Ray. I went to see it again in theaters in 2012 during the special 3D release for the 100th anniversary of the sinking. It's a great movie, and every time I see it, I always think of the people on board. Being an avid cruiser, I cannot imagine what that could have been like. The part that gets me all the time is after the accident when the crew has the meeting with the Captain to discuss the damage and Thomas Andrews, the engineer, tells the reality that the ship will sink. I cannot imagine the guilt all of those guys were feeling at that moment because it was clear that the majority of people on the ship were going to die.

Cool perspective. I think my favorite part is "fiddling on the deck of the Titanic". I had heard that cliche, but seeing it in that movie really made me realize what that really meant.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I always enjoy this movie too (the most recent) except for the schmaltzy romance. Would prefer a different female lead; one that looks closer in age to Leonardo.
Winslet was 24, DiCaprio 25 when Titanic was released.

Reaction Score
Neither my wife or I were all that enthusiastic about seeing Titanic when it came out. My wife grew up on a steady stream of John Wayne westerns at drive ins, she was never into big budget romances. Whatever the case, we both saw during its initial run. My wife saw it with a friend who was visiting from out of town. I did not go with them, I was busy that day. Afterwards we got together at a party. When my wife arrived, she kept laughing about the movie, she thought it was fairly silly. The idea of two guys getting into a big brawl while a ship was sinking fast around them was a bit beyond her.

At the time, my wife and I were in the habit of going out for dinner on Friday nights with a friend of ours that we knew from our days at UConn. However, on one particular Friday a couple of weeks after she saw Titanic, my wife was working from home, and told me that our friend and I were on our own that night, but she needed us out of the house so she could concentrate on work. So our friend and I went to a movie. Neither of us were all that enthusiastic about seeing Titanic, but that is what we went to see. We both had similar reactions. We both thought it was pretty good and entertaining. Being a long movie, there were a couple times during the film that we started to fidget a bit. The first time started thinking, we need to see an iceberg soon. Sure enough, right after thought hit us the iceberg shows up. Things go on a while after the collision, and after awhile I start thinking this boat needs to start sinking a little faster. Sure enough, right after that it did. In an odd way, in terms of the action it was all timed out pretty well.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I basically hated the two main characters. So that means it was never my favorite. But it’s certainly a well made epic.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

You daughter is old enough that she will watch again this week. And yes a very good movie.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom