Tips for Game Saturday | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tips for Game Saturday

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Hey everybody Pc fan here with just a few questions about the game Saturday. It's my first time going to the XL center and I'm sure it going to be a great crowd. Two quick questions, first how is the parking around the XL center? Second what are the COVID protocols? Appreciate any tips and help you guys can give thanks.
Just park on the street. they never ticket. Also the games at the XL always start an hour late so I wouldn't show up until 6. Don't listen to these guys No mask needed. Anything else you need help with let me know

Your friend,
IMNO1

Reaction Score
Take a walk up main St and Albany Avenue to enjoy what the beautiful city of Hartford offers.

I unknowingly took that walk once from Downtown to UHartford. Just a NYC boy thinking you can/should walk everywhere
I am impressed! And you lived to talk about it. I actually lived off Albany Ave for a short time after arriving in this country. There used to be a Catholic grammar school 2 blocks from where LX center is. I walked to school, home for lunch and home again which was part of the route you took. But back then it was not drug dealers alley or a combat zone.

I got my graduate degree from U Ha (Hartford) . Barney ‘ Fife ‘ School of Business!

Reaction Score
I am impressed! And you lived to talk about it. I actually lived off Albany Ave for a short time after arriving in this country. There used to be a Catholic grammar school 2 blocks from where LX center is. I walked to school, home for lunch and home again which was part of the route you took. But back then it was not drug dealers alley or a combat zone.

I got my graduate degree from U Ha (Hartford) . Barney ‘ Fife ‘ School of Business!

Yeah. I thought I wasn't gonna make it to UHart. It was the ultimate effort to watch Stony Brook at the America East Tournament back when I was a student. The more I walked away from downtown the sketchier and more decayed things looked. Empty/vacant lots,houses falling apart, etc. Geez that was crazy. And then you cross the railroad tracks into UHart and things immediately change... America at its finest.

As a Bronx resident for much of my life I'm not foreign to that kind of urban environment. But I think that part of Hartford can only be compared to the South Bronx of the 70s and 80s. Nothing like it today

The good thing is that talking about this motivated me to check out Google Street View of that area of Hartford moments ago. It seems like Albany Avenue just got a nice facelift with new brick sidewalks and new classic street lighting. Thats nice to see public investment on an area that greatly needs it. Hopefully Hartford can continue an upward trajectory.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Yeah. I thought I wasn't gonna make it to UHart. It was the ultimate effort to watch Stony Brook at the America East Tournament back when I was a student. The more I walked away from downtown the sketchier and more decayed things looked. Empty/vacant lots,houses falling apart, etc. Geez that was crazy. And then you cross the railroad tracks into UHart and things immediately change... America at its finest.

As a Bronx resident for much of my life I'm not foreign to that kind of urban environment. But I think that part of Hartford can only be compared to the South Bronx of the 70s and 80s. Nothing like it today

The good thing is that talking about this motivated me to check out Google Street View of that area of Hartford moments ago. It seems like Albany Avenue just got a nice facelift with new brick sidewalks and new classic street lighting. Thats nice to see public investment on an area that greatly needs it. Hopefully Hartford can continue an upward trajectory.
The North End looks rough, and the appearance isn't altogether misleading. But, there are a lot of exquisite folks around the North End, and I have been more than welcome on my forays there (volunteering). If ever there was an area that could use a break, it is the North End.

Reaction Score

I grew up in Hartford as did my wife. We still bump into people from the old “ hood” here in the Burbs. We come from hard working WW II era parents almost all dads Veterans of WWII or Korea as my dad was. We were tied to Hartford there were two jewelry store down town whwere we “all” bought our fiancées a Diamond. Hartford is a small city but we thought big.

Reaction Score
The North End looks rough, and the appearance isn't altogether misleading. But, there are a lot of exquisite folks around the North End, and I have been more than welcome on my forays there (volunteering). If ever there was an area that could use a break, it is the North End.

It's not a great neighborhood but it's also kind of overstated how dangerous Hartford is. I went to an open mic at a Jamaican or African Club of some kind on Park St and everyone was super chill and nice.

Go check out the favelas in Rio or other Brazilian cities and then realize that most US cities are actually not that bad at all. Our buildings are even structurally sound!

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
The North End looks rough but it’s not that bad. Full of good people. After playing golf at Keney, my buddy and I usually find a Jamaican food spot to eat at. Never had an issue. Same with the South End. I lived on Adelaide St for a few years and never once had an issue. All cities have their crime, but it’s usually never random.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
It's not a great neighborhood but it's also kind of overstated how dangerous Hartford is. I went to an open mic at a Jamaican or African Club of some kind on Park St and everyone was super chill and nice.

Go check out the favelas in Rio or other Brazilian cities and then realize that most US cities are actually not that bad at all. Our buildings are even structurally sound!
You sure it was Jamaican music on Park St? Park is “mini San Juan” - predominately Puerto Rican/Latino.

Reaction Score
The North End looks rough but it’s not that bad. Full of good people. After playing golf at Keney, my buddy and I usually find a Jamaican food spot to eat at. Never had an issue. Same with the South End. I lived on Adelaide St for a few years and never once had an issue. All cities have their crime, but it’s usually never random.
This is true for every inner city. Their filled with exceptional people. For the MOST PART if you stay out of the mix, you’ll be fine

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

My one trip to São Paulo was fascinating. Rode in from the airport (3 hours) with the owner of the car company we use. You can't take cabs. He enlightened me on things. He buys Hyundai Aleras because they are big and don't stand out. He said any Mercedes or BMW will get carjacked if it stops at a light unless armored. We went by about 50 shops where they build armored cars. Went through nice neighborhoods that were all walled like a medieval city, with 12 foot walls with razor wire and cameras atop the walls. We had instructions not to walk from the hotel to anywhere (and we were in the embassy district). Arriving at our offices there is a gatehouse and gate to get to the parking lot, and the guard is carrying an assault rife and is in body armor.

I've been to the North End a lot, and it's not great. A teacher of mine had her leg broken on Albany at noon on a Saturday when she was carjacked at a light (in the 80s). But no, it's not nearly as dangerous as some places, even in the U.S. I'm not sure how it is now vs the 80's, maybe it was worse then.

Hoping OP enjoys the game and Hartford. Plenty of good spots around the XL and no need to go to the North End anyway. I am planning to be at the Dunk for the return game. Before the AAC it was the one road trip game I always made. This time I may add a stop at Long Live Beerworks. 2:00 game is ideal.

Reaction Score
Can't help on the parking front - I usually just find street parking several blocks away from XL and walk over.
I agree to this. @Bigeast2334, if you're OK to walk a bit, there's always plenty of street parking between a few blocks from the XL.

I've already posted on the ticket board, but I can't make the game. If anyone wants an extra ticket in the 200s, PM me.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We will introduce you to Big Red.
While this particular case may be different, as a general rule, when some guy you don’t know on the Internet offers to meet up with you to show you “big red” it’s probably best to turn down the invitation.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Same true at Gampel. I meant when at seats. In concourses almost everyone wearing them. I’m no better than most.
We get a pretty good mix at Gampel In seats. Mostly on. Mines not on here because I was drinking an ipa. :)
But at least there in various stages of on from the chin strap to the ear hang. Lol
295F8B23-0A19-40BE-88DC-41507AB6CCE7.jpeg

Reaction Score
You sure it was Jamaican music on Park St? Park is “mini San Juan” - predominately Puerto Rican/Latino.

Well it was a Jamaican "club" anyway. I remember the bartender warning me that Jamaican ginger ale is way, way crazier than American ginger ale and she was great. It also had a bunch of like African signage outside.

I do think I was mistaken, though, and it was on Albany Ave, not Park St. But either way even though it didn't seem like the most glamorous neighborhood, I had no trouble with anyone.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well it was a Jamaican "club" anyway. I remember the bartender warning me that Jamaican ginger ale is way, way crazier than American ginger ale and she was great. It also had a bunch of like African signage outside.

I do think I was mistaken, though, and it was on Albany Ave, not Park St. But either way even though it didn't seem like the most glamorous neighborhood, I had no trouble with anyone.

In the 80's there was a club like that on one of the cross streets somewhere between Albany and Walnut/Homestead. I blundered into a massive crowd getting out one night at 2:00 AM or so. Entire street was full of people.

Reaction Score
For anyone looking to go out before/after the game - I just called the Tavern bc the block party will most likely be a bust bc of the rain and they let me know it’ll be hit or miss in the entire area as it’s SantaCon.

DCT

Reaction Score
In the 80's there was a club like that on one of the cross streets somewhere between Albany and Walnut/Homestead. I blundered into a massive crowd getting out one night at 2:00 AM or so. Entire street was full of people.
Weat Indian club on Homestead

Reaction Score
No. The only covid-related change at the gate is that ticketholders need to be wearing a mask when they enter.
is it true that there are metal detectors and bag checks? Last time i went was 2019 and dont remember detectors.

Reaction Score
is it true that there are metal detectors and bag checks? Last time i went was 2019 and dont remember detectors.
There are definitely metal detectors. I assume they check bags too, but I can't say for sure since neither I nor anyone with whom I attend games bring bags.

Reaction Score
There are definitely metal detectors. I assume they check bags too, but I can't say for sure since neither I nor anyone with whom I attend games bring bags.
Well, i guess ill leave my man purse at home:D

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
For anyone looking to go out before/after the game - I just called the Tavern bc the block party will most likely be a bust bc of the rain and they let me know it’ll be hit or miss in the entire area as it’s SantaCon.

1639659492426.gif

Why would they plan SantaCon the day of the Big East opener?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom