Tina Charles Might be Traded Tonight to | The Boneyard

Tina Charles Might be Traded Tonight to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
the NY Liberty. Mike DiMauro is reporting according to league sources, Tina is being traded for the 4th pick in the draft. Sun would then take McBride.

Reaction Score
How can they get rid of Tina?? The Sun should be stocking up on as many UConn players as they can.
Maybe she wants out!! There appears to be a problems there.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Mike is now tweeting that other players might be involved but Tina is the star.

IMHO the trade for Tina should include Cappie & the 4th pick in this years draft. However, Liberty wouldn't make that trade. :)

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Rebecca Lobo indicated on twitter a few days ago about how the draft could get interesting with all the "rumored" trades!

Should make for an interesting couple hours tonight!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Doug Feinberg AP Beat Writer for WBB is reporting the trade is Tina Charles to NY for Kelsey Bone, this years and next years 1st round draft picks.

Reaction Score
Interesting. The former MVP for the 4th pick.

Best wishes to Tina!

It looks like a one-sided trade :eek:. A league MVP for a 4th round pic? (of note, McBride will be a great pro, but still) Hope the other players involved make up for the loss of Charles.

Reaction Score
You'd have to throw a post in there if you get rid of Charles. With Jones out for the year and Gruda traded to LA and Mims signing with Phoenix it leaves you with Griffin as the only post with WNBA experience.

In my opinion even Bone and the 4th pick is a bad trade.

It could be that Charles demanded out of CT, which gives any team who wants her a huge edge.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
League sources are indicating that Kayla McBride will go to San Antonio with the 3rd pick of the draft. That would leave Alyssa Thomas as the 4th pick which would then go to the Sun. Would Sun ask the Liberty to take Stef or Natasha Howard instead to replace Tina? Guess we'll find out in an hour or two.

Reaction Score
Tina Charles for three number 1s is a bad trade much less two. Not unless Ms Charles is coming up on free agency and has indicated that she will not re-sign with CT, then I guess CT has no choice but to make the trade. Is CT possibly trying to pull of what Minnesota did to acquire Maya? Is there a Maya like transcendent looming on the draft horizon in the next couple of years?;).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'll always remember a line Randy Smith used to use when the Whalers got beat on every trade they made: "The easiest thing you can do is trade your best player." The Sun is a total mess and it will stay that way for years to come. They fire a top coach and bring in a washed-up hack. Job 1 for hacks is to stay employed for as long as possible. The way they do that is to blow up the current team usually smearing the top player in the process. That buys them at least two years "for rebuilding" while the fans will be asked for "patience" with their "young and hungry" team.

Reaction Score
The Sun will be very young this year. Unlikely they will get into the playoffs...guess they are in the KML race for 2015!

Adding KML to a core of say Chiney/McBride/Bone/Montgomery/Hightower is intriguing. If the Sun can draft Chelsea Gray at #11, could turn out to be a steal.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Tina Charles for three number 1s is a bad trade much less two. Not unless Ms Charles is coming up on free agency and has indicated that she will not re-sign with CT...

Or she does not get along with Ann Donovan and wants to be tutored by one of the best coaches of bigs in the W in Laimbeer.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think the personality resemblance (to a considerable extent) between Geno and Laimbeer appealed to Tina. My intuition is that she strongly prefers to play for a male head coach, preferably an alpha male.

They said that Tina was unsigned by the Sun. Even if she was not an unrestricted free agent (in which case no one would have needed to offer the Sun anything for her), she could have sat out this season and then left, with the Sun getting nothing in return.

Actually, I think the price that New York paid (#1 this year and next year, plus Ms. Bone -- the least valuable part of the package) was rather substantial, and suggests that there were other bids being made to the Sun for Tina's services. I still like the Tina-for-Nneka idea, and I think the Sun would have taken that if it were offered, so I can only guess that it was not offered.

The Sun won 10 games last year. I think they will be better this year and will win more games, but not make the playoffs. Next year (hopefully with a healthy Chelsea Gray and maybe KML?) they should be a playoff team.

Anne Donovan won a WNBA championship as a coach as well as an Olympic Gold Medal. She is not a bad coach. She may not be as good as Mike Thibault, and certainly does not seem to command the loyalty of her top players as Thibault did with Tina and Kara, but she is no "hack".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom