Tina Charles Article | The Boneyard

Tina Charles Article

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Given the drama with Skylar, the dysfunction on that team, the fact that they basically hired a high school coach with almost no experience (1 year as an asst for Vegas), I have no idea why anyone is questioning Tina. She's one of the all time greats in the WNBA and IMHO never gets her due, in general, from UCONN fans, for the greatness of her career or what she has accomplished. She is a total workhorse who keeps her head down and goes out and does her best. I've never seen an article where she badmouths anyone.

She "quit" on her teams? Are there articles with quotes from former teammates that discuss that? Why are some people not giving her the benefit of the doubt? Players are cut and bounced from the league all the time. Look at Dangerfield's journey - former ROY cut mercilessly by Minny, jumping around the league. Why can't players jump if their team is dysfunctional, going nowhere, has poor coaching or management, are unhappy, etc.? Why is it the players' fault?

I wish her nothing but the best and hope she helps Seattle bring home the championship!

Reaction Score
Given the drama with Skylar, the dysfunction on that team, the fact that they basically hired a high school coach with almost no experience (1 year as an asst for Vegas), I have no idea why anyone is questioning Tina. She's one of the all time greats in the WNBA and IMHO never gets her due, in general, from UCONN fans, for the greatness of her career or what she has accomplished. She is a total workhorse who keeps her head down and goes out and does her best. I've never seen an article where she badmouths anyone.

She "quit" on her teams? Are there articles with quotes from former teammates that discuss that? Why are some people not giving her the benefit of the doubt? Players are cut and bounced from the league all the time. Look at Dangerfield's journey - former ROY cut mercilessly by Minny, jumping around the league. Why can't players jump if their team is dysfunctional, going nowhere, has poor coaching or management, are unhappy, etc.? Why is it the players' fault?

I wish her nothing but the best and hope she helps Seattle bring home the championship!

They're saying she forced her was out of CT, although it wasn't in the middle of the season. They are also saying she quit on New York and Washington, but I'm not sure how. Some say she is chasing a championship as well. I def agree with you!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
They're saying she forced her was out of CT, although it wasn't in the middle of the season. They are also saying she quit on New York and Washington, but I'm not sure how. Some say she is chasing a championship as well. I def agree with you!
I'm still not understanding the "quit" moniker that "some" are attributing to her. Did she stop playing well? Did she purposely sandbag her team? Did she stop giving effort when she was on the floor? Why, if she decided to go to a new team, is the term "quitting" being attributed to her?

The WNBA is a business. They cut, trade, and move players for whatever is in their best interest. Chicago made the decision to treat Gabby in such a way that when she came back from her overseas commitment last season, she was unable to play for ANY WNBA team. She had to sit out the year.

Look at all the players who have bounced from team to team in WCBB. Some of them are even stars. Do UCONN fans, or fans in general, start calling them quitters?

I just love Tina. I think it's insane that she was not invited to the as one of the 30 players in the pool to the USA National Team tryouts. The fact that UCONN fans were not shocked by this is mystifying to me. Tina was 15th in the league in scoring this season, and 9th in rebounding. Plus, Tina has been a rock for Team USA since 2010.

Did you guys know that Since 2013, Charles has donated her full WNBA salary to the charity she started, Hopey's Heart Foundation? In 2020, Charles announced she would direct that year's salary to support the Black Lives Matter movement. She just does kind and selfless things.

Reaction Score
Tina is so right! It's a business and at her age and accomplishment, she has the right to be where she is surrounded by professionalism. Geno and CD instill that in their players. Geno hasn't hesitated to ask players to leave for unprofessionalism and why wouldn't Tina extract herself from a similar situation.

Based on multiple accounts, Phoenix seems like a complete mess. A player like Tina at her age can't waste time, her days are numbered. Pro sports are cruel in that way.

The question is how are DT and Kia dealing with it... is Kia just rehabbing and planning to get out? Is DT just dealing with it to finish her career without having to move now that she is a parent?

Reaction Score

She may have quit on the team, but I can understand why she left.
I don’t think there’s much doubt that Phoenix is/was a pretty dysfunctional team this year! Assuming that’s true, Tina probably did not want to be in that sort of environment at this stage of her career.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In the context of Tina donating her salary, I claim that Sue Bird was the league's MVP this year. Why? She accepted a $150,000 pay cut to $72,000, so the team could re-sign Jewell and Stewie. Now, that is a great teammate!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In the context of Tina donating her salary, I claim that Sue Bird was the league's MVP this year. Why? She accepted a $150,000 pay cut to $72,000, so the team could re-sign Jewell and Stewie. Now, that is a great teammate!
But Sue does get a lot of senior citizen discounts. ;)

Reaction Score

Typical here to say she "quit". Seems to me to be a Smart/Professional/Productive business decision which is paying great dividends for her now and in the future.

Reaction Score
Typical here to say she "quit". Seems to me to be a Smart/Professional/Productive business decision which is paying great dividends for her now and in the future.

I was using those words because there are numerous posters that say she did and has before

Reaction Score
Sylvia Fowles sat out half a season until Chicago traded her to Minnesota. EDD forced a trade from Chicago to Washington. No one said they quit on their team. It was a business decision.

Ohhh...... they definitely did. Not sure which thread, but numerous posted called them all out

Reaction Score

It seems Tina "came to the Storm" for the same reason she came to Uconn to play with the best and "fill the role they needed".

Eric from San Diego or LA. Quitting isn't negative. Quitting a team, that is. Quitting an effort is Quitting. Changing, I prefer, is changing to better yourself in some way. Tina CHANGED to help the Storm and herself.
I dislike, extremely, my hangup. Dysfunctional. which means it is functional in a manner one dislikes---but functional.
.Christ the King HS must be popping their button.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It seems Tina "came to the Storm" for the same reason she came to Uconn to play with the best and "fill the role they needed".

Eric from San Diego or LA. Quitting isn't negative. Quitting a team, that is. Quitting an effort is Quitting. Changing, I prefer, is changing to better yourself in some way. Tina CHANGED to help the Storm and herself.
I dislike, extremely, my hangup. Dysfunctional. which means it is functional in a manner one dislikes---but functional.
.Christ the King HS must be popping their button.
While I don't disagree in theory, I just want to be clear. The dictionary definition of "quit" is as follows:

verb
gerund or present participle: quitting

1. leave (a place), usually permanently.
    "he was ordered to quit the cabin immediately

So if people (as in your example) are talking about Tina "leaving Phoenix permanently", then I generally agree. However the term "quit" has a negative connotation, especially when used as several posters have:
  • She may have quit on the team...
  • She may have quit on the team, but I can understand why she left.
    ...teams... (reply to the OP's post)
  • I was using those words ("quit on the team") because there are numerous posters that say she did and has before
I am NOT calling @Geew1992 out at all, as he pointed out it's others who have used that word or phrase. However, I disagree if anyone thinks saying "Tina quite on her team" has anything but a negative connotation in it's context, and I strongly disagree that she has ever "quit" on any team she's ever played for.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom