Timeline For New Facilities? | The Boneyard

Timeline For New Facilities?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
about twenty minutes.

Reaction Score
There's no State money available to pay for this, so I assume that a certain dollar amount has to be raised in donations before the shovel hits the dirt for all 3 projects - soccer, baseball, softball.

Reaction Score
Looks like the new soccer stadium is first up, construction schedule to begin at the conclusion of the 2018 regular season. I wonder if the new stadium will be ready for 2019 or will UConn be borrowing stadiums in 2019?

Ground Breaking On New UConn Soccer Facility Set For End Of Regular Season

This story in the UConn Blog reports that UConn soccer will be played off campus in 2019 due to the construction of new athletic facilities.

Work Beginning on New UConn Stadium Project

Reaction Score
But ... but ... what about the putting green??

In all seriousness, will the baseball and soccer teams share the locker/training space? Interesting that it appears the softball team will now have the entire current field/existing baseball field ... will it get its own locker/training space?

Reaction Score
This story in the UConn Blog reports that UConn soccer will be played off campus in 2019 due to the construction of new athletic facilities.

Work Beginning on New UConn Stadium Project

Ditto for baseball and softball the following season (2020), I caught that later. Thanks.

Based on the new plan copied below, which is a lot different that what I saw a while back with soccer staying in its current location and softball and baseball sharing a combined locker room/staff/stands structure between the two fields, looks like all 3 teams will be roadwarriors for a while. After the current soccer season ends, Morrone will be torn down and then work will begin on the baseball stadium. Once baseball and softball seasons end in 2019, both stadiums will be torn down to make room for soccer on the softball field and old field hockey field with softball going to where baseball is today along with a practice soccer field. I wonder if the main soccer field will be turf instead of grass? I also hope someone is thinking far enough ahead to include space within the soccer structure to also house men and women's lax down the road. One question I have for soccer, is where are they going to practice? Stadium Drive/Jim Calhou Way also looks to be cut into 2 separate parts.

uconn athletic.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Based on the diagram Mr Conehead linked, there doesn't appear to be much seating on the proposed new soccer field's left sideline. Ideally, UConn baseball hits the football training/practice facility with a lot of long shots. Hockey: still left wondering ...

Reaction Score
Ditto for baseball and softball the following season (2020), I caught that later. Thanks.

Based on the new plan copied below, which is a lot different that what I saw a while back with soccer staying in its current location and softball and baseball sharing a combined locker room/staff/stands structure between the two fields, looks like all 3 teams will be roadwarriors for a while. After the current soccer season ends, Morrone will be torn down and then work will begin on the baseball stadium. Once baseball and softball seasons end in 2019, both stadiums will be torn down to make room for soccer on the softball field and old field hockey field with softball going to where baseball is today along with a practice soccer field. I wonder if the main soccer field will be turf instead of grass? I also hope someone is thinking far enough ahead to include space within the soccer structure to also house men and women's lax down the road. One question I have for soccer, is where are they going to practice? Stadium Drive/Jim Calhou Way also looks to be cut into 2 separate parts.

View attachment 33967

That looks like the original old plan. The new plan has the soccer stadium in the same spot that is in now, with baseball right next to it. I don't have time right now to go looking for the most recent updated plan map.

jho

Reaction Score
IMG_0200.jpg

This is the most recent plan that I've seen

CL82

Reaction Score
@jho There is at least one more recent iteration than those.

upload_2018-4-27_17-35-13-png.31031

I like it a little better than the one you posted. I didn't like left field butting up against the performance center.

CL82

Reaction Score
These renderings are from an old plan, but I imagine that the look will be similar:
conn-jo-christian-baseball-Stadium.jpg

hc-uconn-athletics-renovations-20170207

Reaction Score
@jho There is at least one more recent iteration than those.
With the latest diagram @CL82 linked, UConn baseball will need to hit line drive moon shots to hit the Burton/Shenkman facility. And, whatever sat behind soccer's right sideline seats/box @jho previously linked appears to go away.

Similarly, the latest diagram may limit some potential softball blasts smacking cars on Jim Calhoun Way. Surely, college softball players must hit some relatively hard visitor side line drives. Some room still appears to exist to move track's shot put/discus further NW, thus enabling softball's stadium to shift NW a bit away from Calhoun's Way.

Hockey: Still stuck in a slightly refurbished Freitas tin can of lesser quality than many high school rinks?

Reaction Score
That looks like the original old plan. The new plan has the soccer stadium in the same spot that is in now, with baseball right next to it. I don't have time right now to go looking for the most recent updated plan map.

Thanks. I'll dig around to see what the 'final' plan is. Then again, if a State of CT construction project, no may know. I know the 'original' plan I saw had soccer in the same spot and across the street, the baseball and softball fields were back-to-back to allow for a singe structure to serve both teams. Personally, I preferred swapping the soccer fields with the football practice fields on top of the hill. Plenty enough room for a soccer/lax game stadium and an adjacent practice field. On problem si that it can get gusty up there. It also would give football a single location to work with,

Reaction Score
Hockey: Still stuck in a slightly refurbished Freitas tin can of lesser quality than many high school rinks?

And the town of Mansfield is very happy about that. After all, who wants a shiny, marquee sports areas and event center right in the middle of their business district to attract more foot traffic and exposure to the town and its businesses over a collection of 60 year old apartment buildings?

CL82

Reaction Score
And the town of Mansfield is very happy about that. After all, who wants a shiny, marquee sports areas and event center right in the middle of their business district to attract more foot traffic and exposure to the town and its businesses over a collection of 60 year old apartment buildings?
They should have taken the Mansfield Depot campus deal for EO Smith. Brandy new school, largely paid for and on a free beautiful campus. Just can't see why they didn't jump on that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom