Time to start thinking about Whaley playing at the next level | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Time to start thinking about Whaley playing at the next level

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
There are some things we have NEVER seen him do until now which leads me to believe the ceiling is higher than originally thought. He will determine his own destiny. IMO it’s too early to tell but with Hurley allowing his players to play with flexibility it opens up more future possibilities for the young man. I hope he continues to show off in game...

Evidently, three points is now the going price for disrespecting Whaley on the perimeter. The passing feint caused Cain to stop heading toward Whaley and commit toward Badams. But Garcia held the double on Josh for a beat instead of closing on Whaley, and he just decided to make them pay for the lack of respect.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Sort of like taking the field at Tournament time. What are the odds? That's obviously not a straight up bet. A guy like Whaley is a long shot that's going to have to grind it out for years to make that happen.
Very similar to taking the field, yes. It could be a straight up bet. He has the time to improve his stock, and depending upon how much either side of the bet likes their position, even money could be negotiated. If I were to make that bet right now I'd probably lay about -200 (so I'd risk twice what the other side was wagering). Or in other terms, I'd give someone 2-1. I'm more confident in him not playing in the NBA than in him playing in the NBA, but I also know it's possible. It's definitely NOT impossible - there is a chance. Which is why I would be hesitant to lay more than -200 this far out. Perhaps the bet could be placed closer to the end of his time at UConn. Also, terms would have to be negotiated. He may not get drafted but could try out and make a team. He could get drafted and never play in league. He could go to the D League and then move up, or bounce back and forth. He could play overseas and then move to the NBA after a few years. There's always details in bets like that that have to ironed out. This makes it hard for strangers to place bets like these - they are usually fun bets with friends. Perhaps this is an opportunity to design an app where strangers could negotiate a wager, place their money into the account, and it gets released to the winner upon settlement.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Very similar to taking the field, yes. It could be a straight up bet. He has the time to improve his stock, and depending upon how much either side of the bet likes their position, even money could be negotiated. If I were to make that bet right now I'd probably lay about -200 (so I'd risk twice what the other side was wagering). Or in other terms, I'd give someone 2-1. I'm more confident in him not playing in the NBA than in him playing in the NBA, but I also know it's possible. It's definitely NOT impossible - there is a chance. Which is why I would be hesitant to lay more than -200 this far out. Perhaps the bet could be placed closer to the end of his time at UConn. Also, terms would have to be negotiated. He may not get drafted but could try out and make a team. He could get drafted and never play in league. He could go to the D League and then move up, or bounce back and forth. He could play overseas and then move to the NBA after a few years. There's always details in bets like that that have to ironed out. This makes it hard for strangers to place bets like these - they are usually fun bets with friends. Perhaps this is an opportunity to design an app where strangers could negotiate a wager, place their money into the account, and it gets released to the winner upon settlement.

Yeah I think there's virtually zero chance that he's drafted, although weird things happen late in the second round. I think it's much more likely that he goes the G League route and gets a shot due to injury, roster need, a team evaluating what they have when they're out of the playoffs, etc.

But whereas it seemed inconceivable when he was a freshman, it would not shock me to see him check into an NBA game at least once some time in the future.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger
Top Bottom