Time to start thinking about Whaley playing at the next level | The Boneyard

Time to start thinking about Whaley playing at the next level

Reaction Score
I know I know. If you told me this two years ago I would've bet my house on it and called you crazy. But the development we are witnessing here is something like I've never seen...and it's not just UConn fans that are noticing him. When you think of stretch fours in the NBA he fits the mold almost perfectly.
-very athletic
-6'9 and strong
-extremely versatile defender
-smooth consistent jump shot that teams have to respect
-tenacious on the glass
-high IQ

If he can develop a more consistent three point shot, like the one from last night, there is a chance he could play at the next level on some role on some team. Would be an amazing story and I hope he continues to get the national recognition he deserves. Go Huskies baby

Reaction Score
Whaley and Polley are far from lottery picks and I don’t see them being drafted but they’ll definitely get some sort of invite from teams. Wouldn’t be surprised to see either have a short career as a fringe player or possibly rising to a solid role player.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Whaley is just "on it" right now. That play where he tracked the guy crossing the lane and still blocked his shot. Grabbed the ball and got it out quick for a bucket. That was awesome.

Reaction Score
I know I know. If you told me this two years ago I would've bet my house on it and called you crazy. But the development we are witnessing here is something like I've never seen...and it's not just UConn fans that are noticing him. When you think of stretch fours in the NBA he fits the mold almost perfectly.
-very athletic
-6'9 and strong
-tenacious on the glass
-high IQ

If he can develop a more consistent three point shot, like the one from last night, there is a chance he could play at the next level on some role on some team. Would be an amazing story and I hope he continues to get the national recognition he deserves. Go Huskies baby
He is a poor mans Rodman.

Reaction Score
If someone like DJ Wilson can take up a roster spot in the NBA I don't see why it's completely out of the question for Whaley.

He won't get drafted but hopefully he makes the most of a camp invite with a team that will lock him in the gym and make him shoot 1,000 threes a day.

Reaction Score
It's possible, but he'd need to have a consistent 3-point shot in addition to a consistent mid-range jumper. His growth is phenomenal and he outplays his size downlow.

Reaction Score
if he is going to be a 4 in the league, he has to take and make threes at a high clip. if he's going to be a five, at his height, he probably needs to gain another 10 pounds of muscle.

not saying either is impossible. it's pretty incredible where good defense, high motor, bbiq, and athleticism can get guys in 2021.

Reaction Score
Same here. Whaley is showing the most growth I've seen in a player in many years. He has become one of my all time favorite players.
We all but stopped developing our bigs. I think Facey could have been as good if not even better because his jumper was more fluid, but he was barely developed in his time here. Enoch had a super high ceiling and wasted some prime developmental years too. Hurley would have made both so much better IMO.

Reaction Score
-very athletic
-6'9 and strong
-tenacious on the glass
-high IQ

Three things he needs to increase his value:
1 Shooting
2 Shooting
3 Shooting

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@HanDurley I think what you are really asking/suggesting is, if Whaley significantly changes his game, can he make it in the NBA?

You are right in one regard. There are parts to Whaley's game that suite the NBA. Whaley's off the ball movement is spectacular. As good as you get as a big. We frequently find him for dunks because of some late cut by Whaley. Modern NBA doesn't really use a post player. The lane is huge and generally wide open. Whaley's off the ball excellence would work well with that huge lane.

That said, I don't think Whaley has much of a shot unless he becomes a credible three point threat. He has to keep his man honest. So the lane remains open. This seems to be a requirement for any non-ball handler in the NBA. Gotta be pretty good at the three.

Whaley may have some untapped potential as a three point shooter, but I don't think we are suddenly going to start running sets for Whaley to get threes. So I just don't think there's anything Whaley can do with his remaining UCONN career to get himself drafted. He basically needs to become a significantly different player. He needs to become a three point threat.

Can he make the NBA as a undrafted free agent?... maybe... who knows. Regardless, Whaley's NBA potential depends on whatever he does after UCONN. Not what he's done at UCONN or what he can do with his remaining time on campus.

Odds are no, we will not see Whaley in the NBA, but what do I know.

Reaction Score
i think there's a better chance he plays for uconn next year than for an nba team. he has certainly played himself into training camp invites....the way he switches/hedges is noticeably advanced. Just not sure he has enough offensively to warrant a guaranteed roster spot.....but he'll def get a chance in some capacity

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Jesus, I read all the way to post #15 going "huh?...what?". Then I realized I was reading it thinking it was about Polley for some reason, not Whaley (even though Whaley was written 100 times). Must have left my reading comprehension glasses at the dive bar. Anyway, as you were...

Reaction Score
The Whale will have a nice overseas career.
He has definitely earned the opportunity. Not a NBA guy

Reaction Score
We all but stopped developing our bigs. I think Facey could have been as good if not even better because his jumper was more fluid, but he was barely developed in his time here. Enoch had a super high ceiling and wasted some prime developmental years too. Hurley would have made both so much better IMO.
Spare me the Enoch apologia
He had feet of clay which made him a PF machine. Even 3 years later age 22 -23 at Louisville although improved he still had same tendency . NBA body Jr HS feet.
Im sure every coach and assistant coach identified the problem gave him programs to improve but you guys act as though development is a top down process, it’s not it’s an individual working hard to improve. You do understand when Hurley said they taking credit for Whaley he was being sarcastic. He was driving Whaley out of the program and too the kids credit he refused to go.
Facey was 20 years old as a freshman showed signs but was inconsistent lost his job as a JR.to a better player and came back with a decent senior year especially when Adams was healthy.
Losing minutes as a Jr was a bigger factor in his development than what anyone coach told him. Adams was critical as he was the only distributor and for guys like Facey someone getting them a shot is key to their success.
I like how you mixed it up for variety there on #3
Where was Autocorrect when you need it.

Reaction Score
There are some things we have NEVER seen him do until now which leads me to believe the ceiling is higher than originally thought. He will determine his own destiny. IMO it’s too early to tell but with Hurley allowing his players to play with flexibility it opens up more future possibilities for the young man. I hope he continues to show off in game...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom