Time to play for next year? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Time to play for next year?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
With the way the staff is still chasing OL for 2018, I think incoming freshman Travis Jones (6-4 350) may be destined to DL.

I was thinking the same thing, Medic. Also, I hope we can land Damion Daley (3-star DT from South Carolina; offers from Navy, Air Force, Army, Cincy, ECU, and a bunch of MACs). It would be an important pick up for us, and we can offer him a pretty good chance at a lot of playing time for the next four years if he comes here...

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing, Medic. Also, I hope we can land Damion Daley (3-star DT from South Carolina; offers from Navy, Air Force, Army, Cincy, ECU, and a bunch of MACs). It would be an important pick up for us, and we can offer him a pretty good chance at a lot of playing time for the next four years if he comes here...

He was visiting yesterday...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
He was visiting yesterday...

I didn't know that. Great catch, Medic!

Like I've said before; with my instincts and your command of the web, we can rule the world... ;) (mostly your web command, but I want to feel like I'm a part of this)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What exactly? What I have seen in all the previous games?

There there were almost zero positives yesterday regardless of covering the spread.

Reaction Score
Again, explain to me how you're going to go to a four man front? If you're not willing to do so, then stop arguing about it...

I would try to convert a couple players to DE. Levenberry and TJ Gardner would be good candidates and there is a certain TE on the roster who I think could do it.

and regardless of scheme I think we both agree we need to recruit more defensive lineman, hopefully at least one JUCO who could play right away and Travis Jones would have a better chance of starting as a freshman in a 4 man front than a 3 man front.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
First, we've actually seen Casey tear it up at D1. Second, Casey is arguably the greatest Connecticut HS QB of all time. If it weren't for the concussions I'm 100% sure Casey would be on an NFL roster. He understood the game & position so well

Umm...what? Casey was never going to the NFL. But there was a guy named Steve Young who played HS football in CT. Honestly Scott Burrell could have been a great QB, and was recruited by Notre Dame. The greatest HS QB in CT history doesn’t end up on the bench at UConn.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I would try to convert a couple players to DE. Levenberry and TJ Gardner would be good candidates and there is a certain TE on the roster who I think could do it.

and regardless of scheme I think we both agree we need to recruit more defensive lineman, hopefully at least one JUCO who could play right away and Travis Jones would have a better chance of starting as a freshman in a 4 man front than a 3 man front.

But again, you've tried to solve your DE problem in a four man front when we both agree that the DT is the issue.

So give me your four man DT rotation with at least one more guy as a backup if someone goes down. That's what I'm looking for before I can take your vehement criticism of the formation seriously...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Um Levenberry isn’t on the team next year.

Reaction Score
Umm...what? Casey was never going to the NFL. But there was a guy named Steve Young who played HS football in CT. Honestly Scott Burrell could have been a great QB, and was recruited by Notre Dame. The greatest HS QB in CT history doesn’t end up on the bench at UConn.

Casey was better in high school than Steve Young was.

Reaction Score
They don’t give them for 6th years generally. Didn’t they honor him during senior day?

Yes, but I figured they erred on the side of caution, I never heard it announced that he wasn't applying for a 6th year.. Maybe TBD.

Reaction Score
Yes, but I figured they erred on the side of caution, I never heard it announced that he wasn't applying for a 6th year.. Maybe TBD.

He has no shot at a sixth year.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Please stop with the "Jay Rose to defense" insanity.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I thought it was announced at the time of his injury they would be applying for a 6th year?

Maybe they did but like Ex said he ain’t getting one.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
This is what I have for the defensive line right now going into 2018 and their grade and weight, assuming no weight gain (correct me if I'm wrong on any names here or if I'm missing anyone). Names in blue denote incoming commits:

Atkins (Sr, 275)
Brouse (Jr, 265)
Freeborn (Jr, 255)
Murphy (Jr, 289)
Okounam (Jr, 290)
Steer (Sr, 260)
Thomas (So, 289)
Pace (Fr, 265)

That's it, folks. That is your defensive line from what I can tell. Can they move over some OL players to become DL players? Perhaps. Perhaps convert some LBs to DEs. But if you want to tell me that we're going to be able to have 8 line players on a 2-deep and pray that nobody gets injured, etc., well then you had better do an extremely good job of selling me on the idea because I'm not buying it right now.

The BIGGEST area we need to address in the off-season is DT for me. Whether that's a JUCO route, or a ready-to-play recruit, or whatever. But if it was tough to play a 4-man front this year, it will be almost impossible next year...
Has Caleb Thomas played at all this year or is he red shirting?

Reaction Score
With the way the staff is still chasing OL for 2018, I think incoming freshman Travis Jones (6-4 350) may be destined to DL.

I think so too. If he can drop 20-30lbs he’ll be a force. Even his coach says Travis is a DT.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Has Caleb Thomas played at all this year or is he red shirting?

I looked for a participation chart but couldn't find one. My assumption is that he is redshirting but I'm not sure...

Reaction Score
I looked for a participation chart but couldn't find one. My assumption is that he is redshirting but I'm not sure...

Caleb Thomas has not played or taken a snap yet for this season.. not to say he won’t be put in if needed but highly unlikely. Trying to keep his redshirt..

Reaction Score
In 2013 Cochran was the guy holding the clipboard and it turned out he was the best QB.

Bisack is #3, not #2. in 2013, the depth chart showed CC as #2 (even though PP and Weist panicked and setup Boyle to fail). You want Pindell to play, fine. Like some, I am worried about BS - not as a gamer, but as a human. You want the #3 guy, good grief.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom