Time To Make A Statement | The Boneyard

Time To Make A Statement

Reaction Score
Lets not give the committee any room for any funny business. We need to lock up our bid tonight and cement our place in the upper echelon of this conference with Nova and Creighton. We heard all of this talk in the pre season about how Hall and Prov weren't the same old hall and providence and how we were in for a rude awakening. Well tonight is thier night to prove it, and tonight is our night to remind them that daddy is home. I'll take a close win....but in my heart of hearts i want to completely outclass and annihilate them. I'm pumped, and thank you Seton Hall for giving me a ticket lol.

U

Reaction Score
Lets not give the committee any room for any funny business. We need to lock up our bid tonight and cement our place in the upper echelon of this conference with Nova and Creighton. We heard all of this talk in the pre season about how Hall and Prov weren't the same old hall and providence and how we were in for a rude awakening. Well tonight is thier night to prove it, and tonight is our night to remind them that daddy is home. I'll take a close win....but in my heart of hearts i want to completely outclass and annihilate them. I'm pumped, and thank you Seton Hall for giving me a ticket lol.

U
Represent my friend

Reaction Score
I personally feel we are much better than all of us even realize. Seeing how easily we are handling teams like Georgetown, Butler, Marquette on the road, and seeing Seton Hall, Xavier, Nova, and Creighton struggle is truly eye opening, I think it has to do with the fact that we play a very consistent style of play that relies on Defense, rebounding, limiting turnovers, and a fairly simple offense. We don’t rely heavily on 3 pt shooting like some of these others. This leads to consistent results, and I think we will continue to see that tonight and we will see another comfortable 8-12 pt win.
I also believe we have a great chance to win the Big east tourney now that we are almost fully healthy, and the only way I see us getting eliminated is if we run into a hot 3 pt shooting team, which Creighton and Nova are obviously capable of and banking on.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score

U
Preachhh

Reaction Score
I personally feel we are much better than all of us even realize. Seeing how easily we are handling teams like Georgetown, Butler, Marquette on the road, and seeing Seton Hall, Xavier, Nova, and Creighton struggle is truly eye opening, I think it has to do with the fact that we play a very consistent style of play that relies on Defense, rebounding, limiting turnovers, and a fairly simple offense. We don’t rely heavily on 3 pt shooting like some of these others. This leads to consistent results, and I think we will continue to see that tonight and we will see another comfortable 8-12 pt win.
I also believe we have a great chance to win the Big east tourney now that we are almost fully healthy, and the only way I see us getting eliminated is if we run into a hot 3 pt shooting team, which Creighton and Nova are obviously capable of and banking on.
I too think we have another gear. I've been waiting to see what we do in the BE tournament to be super vocal about it.

Reaction Score
Used to be only a game or two every year when I got angsty or nervous before a game and they were usually of the tournament or must win variety. Wouldn't call this "must win" necessarily but I woke up with that feeling today for the first time all year and the first time in several years. It's March and it feels good to have something to play for again this time of year. Copious amounts of bourbon may be necessary tonight.

C

Reaction Score
We need not only a consistent 3rd option but a real threat and then we'll find another gear. Martin is that guy so I'd like to see him have a big game to give him more confidence. Martin, then Whaley/Sonogo/Polley. Teams will really crack down on Bouknight if they want a chance to win and Cole can have an off night. Guys gotta kick it up a notch.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Screw that. If we really want to make a statement and let everyone know "Daddy's home".... we win out the regular season and win the BET in MSG to get a 5/6 seed. Winning tonight would be a great step towards that.

I agree with the general sentiment in this thread that we're a better team than our record indicates. The COVID pauses and injuries really made this season a challenge for our guys. Our defense has been mostly solid for the year. But we've finally found some consistency on the offensive end and the guys are just now hitting their stride...
  • Bouknight back and getting into game shape. People forget that because of 2 shortened seasons, Bouk's played in only 38 career college games, which is essentially equivalent to 1 full season. He's essentially a seasoned Freshman out there... still growing and getting back into game shape from his injury. I feel confident that we haven't seen his best yet... and every night he's out there we have the most talented player on the floor.
  • Cole has played the role of "Robin" to Bouknight's Batman lately, and has settled in as our lead PG. He's figured out his role on this team and is smart enough to know when to pass or when the team needs him to score. Cole has shown to be really savvy once he gets in the lane... he's been money on the mid-range pull-up, but can also continue to drive and either toss up a floater, or take it all the way to the rim. His shot from deep is improved. He's taking care of the ball and making nice passes while also generating steals on the other end.
  • Jackson is in a similar vein to Bouknight... extremely talented with lots of athleticism and tools... but has a limited number of games under his belt. Only 8 games played >10 mins. While he's raw, he's truly an X-factor for this team. He's become our best perimeter defender and can guard the 1-3 spots. If we play Nova again in the BET, we should put Jackson 1:1 on Gillespie and that will be a different ballgame. When he's not committing silly fouls, he can influence the game so many ways beyond his defense... his passing and rebounding are well-above average for his age and position. If he ever finds his stroke or finds a way to use his athleticism to get to the rim for easy buckets on offense... look out.
  • Martin is similar to Jackson that he gives us a little bit of everything, but is much more gifted offensively. He's a mismatch if he's got a smaller SF on him, because he can post up and get an easy bucket. When he finishes through contact at the rim, he's impossible to contain. He's shown he can get hot from 3. He can defend and rebound with the best of them. He brings some toughness.
In addition to those guys, how many teams can say that they have multiple role players that can put up double digits any night... Polley, Whaley, Sanogo, and Gaffney are all easily capable of that.

I believe we still haven't seen the best this team has to offer. My only concern is that we have so many pieces new to the team or inexperienced. If they can stay healthy down the stretch, with a bit of luck I think this team can make some serious noise in a year where there is so much uncertainty in the tournament field.

Reaction Score
I hate 9pm games.
I love these 6:30 games. Get going early, do our job and we watch the other two BE games with smiles on our faces.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I am so pumped. This game is absolutely gigantic for both teams.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
This is going to be like tournament level competitiveness. Hall NEEDS this game.

Reaction Score
Screw that. If we really want to make a statement and let everyone know "Daddy's home".... we win out the regular season and win the BET in MSG to get a 5/6 seed. Winning tonight would be a great step towards that.

I agree with the general sentiment in this thread that we're a better team than our record indicates. The COVID pauses and injuries really made this season a challenge for our guys. Our defense has been mostly solid for the year. But we've finally found some consistency on the offensive end and the guys are just now hitting their stride...
  • Bouknight back and getting into game shape. People forget that because of 2 shortened seasons, Bouk's played in only 38 career college games, which is essentially equivalent to 1 full season. He's essentially a seasoned Freshman out there... still growing and getting back into game shape from his injury. I feel confident that we haven't seen his best yet... and every night he's out there we have the most talented player on the floor.
  • Cole has played the role of "Robin" to Bouknight's Batman lately, and has settled in as our lead PG. He's figured out his role on this team and is smart enough to know when to pass or when the team needs him to score. Cole has shown to be really savvy once he gets in the lane... he's been money on the mid-range pull-up, but can also continue to drive and either toss up a floater, or take it all the way to the rim. His shot from deep is improved. He's taking care of the ball and making nice passes while also generating steals on the other end.
  • Jackson is in a similar vein to Bouknight... extremely talented with lots of athleticism and tools... but has a limited number of games under his belt. Only 8 games played >10 mins. While he's raw, he's truly an X-factor for this team. He's become our best perimeter defender and can guard the 1-3 spots. If we play Nova again in the BET, we should put Jackson 1:1 on Gillespie and that will be a different ballgame. When he's not committing silly fouls, he can influence the game so many ways beyond his defense... his passing and rebounding are well-above average for his age and position. If he ever finds his stroke or finds a way to use his athleticism to get to the rim for easy buckets on offense... look out.
  • Martin is similar to Jackson that he gives us a little bit of everything, but is much more gifted offensively. He's a mismatch if he's got a smaller SF on him, because he can post up and get an easy bucket. When he finishes through contact at the rim, he's impossible to contain. He's shown he can get hot from 3. He can defend and rebound with the best of them. He brings some toughness.
In addition to those guys, how many teams can say that they have multiple role players that can put up double digits any night... Polley, Whaley, Sanogo, and Gaffney are all easily capable of that.

I believe we still haven't seen the best this team has to offer. My only concern is that we have so many pieces new to the team or inexperienced. If they can stay healthy down the stretch, with a bit of luck I think this team can make some serious noise in a year where there is so much uncertainty in the tournament field.
Jackson is a layup or putback guy at this point in his career and he has no stroke. He’s also a foul machine so If he plays to his strength rebounding and passing he’s not a liability. We lost to Hall close without Bouk so this game would be a confidence builder and statement maker. A close loss does not doom us though.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Max quad 1 win. Let’s goooo!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member