Time to change the backfield | The Boneyard

Time to change the backfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Spot on.

Whitmer's in over his head, trust me. He not only has happy feet but he locks onto his 1st read before the ball even gets to his hands. And #1 PA is 100% correct that he holds the ball way too long. Line sucks but Chandler's not the answer. I put him and Lyle on the scout team and give someone else a chance. This season's over so I don't want to burn any true Frosh's redshirt. Give Casey a chance and put a Redshirt Freshman/So at tailback. Lyle has happier feet than Whitmer and is afraid to hit any hole the OLine might actually make.

Reaction Score
Excellent receivers, rest of offense is horrible. I don't think changing for Michigan is an option. Perhaps if we are sucking eggs against Buffalo that is the time to make the changes. McCombs is a decent player but he is too small, hardly ever breaks tackles, not not sure who is better on the roster...

Reaction Score
Little pass to McCombs out of the backfield worked great early and they never went back to it.

Reaction Score
Wide Recievers is the only good thing they seem to have on offense

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If you gave Whitmer the line that Lorenzen had he'd be an All American. These dudes can't block for .

Baloney, Whitmer was awful. And it wasn't line.

Reaction Score
McCoombs hops around more than a frog hopping from lilly pad to lilly pad! When he does hit the hole hard (happens 1-2 times per ame) he makes things happen. He is a 3rd down back..nothing more or less. Foxx runs harder when he gets the ball out of the slot. Time to make a change at rb!

Reaction Score
The wr's play hard...even on the last drive they were running their routes hard..and trying to get YAC before Whitmer got sacked on 4th down. That Phillips td catch showed real moxie!

Reaction Score
Whitmer's in over his head, trust me. He not only has happy feet but he locks onto his 1st read before the ball even gets to his hands. And #1 PA is 100% correct that he holds the ball way too long. Line sucks but Chandler's not the answer. I put him and Lyle on the scout team and give someone else a chance. This season's over so I don't want to burn any true Frosh's redshirt. Give Casey a chance and put a Redshirt Freshman/So at tailback. Lyle has happier feet than Whitmer and is afraid to hit any hole the OLine might actually make.

Come to a similar conclusion. He's not terrible but not the answer.

Reaction Score
I agree that Whitmer could be a good player if he loses the happy feet....he does throw a good ball.... He needs to be able to go through his progressions better and not lock in. I think he did a better job tonight of not having happy feet unlike against Towson. But his oline needs to be much better and that means better run blockers too because if you're constantly going to be throwing at 3 and 8 then you're going to be making some pressure throws. Just no excuse for less than 100 yards rushing as a team effort. McCombs is a quick muscle-twitched player but he is not a primary ball carrier. He often dances to much and he has zero explosion to break through the second line of defense. He wants to shake 'em 3 times before he decides which way going to dive to while he gets shoe string tackled. Rather than making one strong cut and blasting his legs through an arm tackle.

Reaction Score
Why no fullback? This to help the screen door? Whitmer got crash test dummy treatment all night. I also think one has to wonder about his peripheral vision.
Might add (not that it would change the outcome) the officials totally missed throwing the rag when Whit took a late shot on a blitz to the throat / chin area and much before that the old fashion submarine that took Stewart out of the game.
No flag or the southern accent of the head official on those plays...

Reaction Score
Don't want to blame individual players too much but neither Whitmer or McCombs are difference makers at their position. They are both average at best at their respective positions. Agree with whoever posted that he hops around wayyyy tooo much behind the LOS. Get the ball and run.

Reaction Score
The wr's play hard...even on the last drive they were running their routes hard..and trying to get YAC before Whitmer got sacked on 4th down. That Phillips td catch showed real moxie!

And TW is coaching the WR's just shows what a good coach can do with talent

Reaction Score
Not to apologize for the coaches because this is on their heads too but.... Deleone can't block for Hemingway...he has to cut off that corner rush himself. Now when they blitzed 6 a few times there has to be a safety valve, Whitmer has to know where it is supposed to be and hit it once he sees what's coming at him. On defense the coaches can't make the tackles for the guys...they have to make those themselves and there was way too many missed tackles so as awful as the offense was the Huskies still should have won that game. Linemen and/or linebackers have the QB in their grasp and the guy still gains 5+ on the play. That just can't happen.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Not to apologize for the coaches because this is on their heads too but.... Deleone can't block for Hemingway...he has to cut off that corner rush himself. Now when they blitzed 6 a few times there has to be a safety valve, Whitmer has to know where it is supposed to be and hit it once he sees what's coming at him.
You're correct but when it happens time and time and time again, it's the coaches job to either pull the player or put someone else on that side to help out (TE?). McCombs can't block back there so he's not an option. Or, how about it's the coaches job to call some short slants and put the QB in a shotgun and NEVER under center. This is a lot on the coaches. The lack of adjustments is just mind boggling. It's frustrating to fans and I can only imagine what it must feel like to be Whitmer. If I were Boyle, I'd wanna keep that clipboard in my hands for awhile longer.

Reaction Score
Whitmer is starting to look like David Carr did in Houston after he was pummeled into oblivion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom