Time to Change Narrative-Update | The Boneyard

Time to Change Narrative-Update

Reaction Score
Said after Seton Hall loss we would go 9-2 to finish season prior to BET..24-7 record.. Got hammered by most Yarders for that position. Huge test Saturday night vs a hungry Nova team whose Tournament bubble chances are on the line unless they win BET. Did not expect Moore to bounce back from ACL injury as strongly as he has.. Still rolling with 24-7 record ..OT win in Philly.

Hope some of you guys are on board now.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Said after Seton Hall loss we would go 9-2 to finish season prior to BET..24-7 record.. Got hammered by most Yarders for that position. Huge test Saturday night vs a hungry Nova team whose Tournament bubble chances are on the line unless they win BET. Did not expect Moore to bounce back from ACL injury as strongly as he has.. Still rolling with 24-7 record ..OT win in Philly.

achilles. which is even worse to come back from than ACL in basketball. All credit to Moore, incredible bounce back. You should've have waited until seeing the results of the Nova game and THEN puffed your chest. Because if we don't, I now have this thread saved :) We can certainly win Saturday, but It's going to be a big lift. If we do win it will absolutely be our biggest win of the year. 2nd place isn't even particularly close. Alabama was a great win, but not as important (or as difficult) as this one. Let's go get it.

Reaction Score
achilles. which is even worse to come back from than ACL in basketball. All credit to Moore, incredible bounce back. You should've have waited until seeing the results of the Nova game and THEN puffed your chest. Because if we don't, I now have this thread saved :) We can certainly win Saturday, but It's going to be a big lift. If we do win it will absolutely be our biggest win of the year. 2nd place isn't even particularly close. Alabama was a great win, but not as important (or as difficult) as this one. Let's go get it.
My bad on achilles..You are correct.. Tough for anyone to recover from that injury--But especially guards that rely on speed/change of pace..

Would have been a sign of weakness to wait for result on Sat.. Contrarianism.. Just showing my confidence in the team leading up to gametime... IMO-- I believe Saturday's game will be our toughest game/test of the year-bar none- as apparently you do. Too much on the line for Nova/at home/Senior Night.

GitR- Dun

Reaction Score
Nova looks good lately but some of our fanbase is making them out to be the '86 Celtics. They're playing better but it's still a 14-14 team coached by Kyle Neptune who snuck away with a win by the skin of their teeth against Seton Hall.

Reaction Score
Nova looks good lately but some of our fanbase is making them out to be the '86 Celtics. They're playing better but it's still a 14-14 team coached by Kyle Neptune who snuck away with a win by the skin of their teeth against Seton Hall.
Yeah, I’ll start w all of these as better wins:
Bama
Iowa St
Creighton
Marquette
Providence

Yeah I know the last 3 were at home. But all are way better teams than Nova, yes even now.

Reaction Score
16-14.. And you don't want to put them on the FT line.. Mike Decourcey has them as a bubble team..Still like our chances

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

Im not scared to play them, but they arent that 14 loss team now. They are a team that was picked top 3 in the league. To beat them we will have to do something we havent done this year, beat a top of league team on the road. It is an excellent test to see where we are really at. Bring it on.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Im not scared to play them, but they arent that 14 loss team now. They are a team that was picked top 3 in the league. To beat them we will have to do something we havent done this year, beat a top of league team on the road. It is an excellent test to see where we are really at. Bring it on.
This is where I am. I thought we'd win every one of the games we just won, but I call this a toss up at best. They absolutely can win it, but it's not reasonable to expect it. Would be a major statement game.

Reaction Score

Onboard Amtrak!

Reaction Score
Yeah who the hell has Seton Hall beaten this year?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It's gratifying to see that as I'm reading this, the OP and the two who first Liked it are not in opposition to your post. Add me as well, only withholding my agreement that the OP "should've waited" until AFTER the game on Saturday.

The OP wasn't so puffed-chest boastful as it was hopeful and self-accountable, in addition to being realistic about the challenge and acknowledging that today's Nova isn't the one that was taking it hard without Moore and Whitmore in the early days of a new coach taking over for a Hall of Famer.

Anybody stepping in prematurely with the pre-filled bucket of cold water, or waiting until Saturday night to dump it will not be offering anything that you, I, @Umami Zen , @karstenkibbe , or @husky429 haven't already seen and don't already know.

I haven't yet read past your post, and only have a bit of pop-up awareness that @superjohn has weighed in, and I've found his takes on the past 3 games all notably informed, balanced, well-presented, and strong. The team is pretty much at the place we would want it to be at this point. Now, next, are the games themselves.

I don't know Diarra's current condition and response to efforts to have him able to contribute to his best ability. I similarly don't know if yesterday's shooting performance and late game limp by Hawkins is the subject of continued concern.

The uncertainties regarding possible physical compromises are the greatest single factor in reserving confidence right now. That has always been a factor in the single elimination tournaments at season's end. I'm not going to focus my energies & attention there; nothing good can come of it.

There will never be anything to satisfy those who hold (and choose to play) any trump card that catalogs past failures, previously unattained successes, lucky/unlucky bounces, poor seeding, questionable scheduling, weak performance in or out of conference, suboptimal decisions at key moments, uncharacteristic or simply poor performance. This bundle faces every team, every year.

And yet, every year, one team surmount these challenges. That's how it works. Every year.

Will UConn win on Saturday night? I don't know.

Will UConn win zero or 1 or 2 or 3 BET games? Again, I don't know.

Will UConn win zero or 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 NCAA Tournament games? Surprise, surprise, I don't know.

Am I certain that UConn CANNOT win all 10 possible games? THIS YEAR, I am not certain of that. The last time I held that highly specific (and weirdly phrased) uncertainty was 2011. I really did not think that UConn could beat Louisville in 2014.

I'm here throughout with my initial, pre-season "realistic" hopes that the team completes the season with fewer than 10 losses, at least reaches the Big East Finals, advances to the second weekend of the NCAA Tournament, and does not end the season with a miserable-looking/embarrassing loss.

ALL of those remain available and possible. NONE of them are GUARANTEED. And, I have not ruled out even better outcomes, up to and including the very best of them all. That's a pretty great place to be, great enough for me to have no interest in compromising my ability to cheer with single purpose for victory in each game, as it comes, yep,

One
Game
At
A
Time

(Now I get to see what others have been writing, and I will not rebut or attempt further in this thread to persuade anyone to adopt my point of view. I've already done my best on that count.

I'm on board with the OP. I do not call the plays. I don't take or make the free throws. And I can't bend anyone else to my will or wishes. It's challenge enough to be myself.

Thanks for reading.
Now's the time.
Go Huskies.)

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
At Seton Hall. And their last home game with everyone healthy beat Creighton 79-67. This is not an easy game by any stretch.

Reaction Score
This will be a tough game, but we should be favored, albeit not as much as the metrics suggest. I'm not sure what the KenPom predictions are for this game, but ESPN's predictor has us 75% to win, which would imply a spread somewhere around -7.

That's too optimistic.

I would personally have this game around UConn -2.5 to 3.5 and more like a 60% chance to win.

Definitely a good test.

caw

Reaction Score
Nova is one of the hottest teams in the big east over the last month.

But UConn has been hotter.

Since Feb 1st.

UConn and Marquette are 7 of 8, with Marquette’s loss to UConn. It’s really arguable to say UConn has been the best team in the BE over the last thirty days.

Nova is 6-3
Crieghton 6-3
X 5-3
PC 4-4

Reaction Score
At Seton Hall. And their last home game with everyone healthy beat Creighton 79-67. This is not an easy game by any stretch.
I don't think anyone expects an easy win, but it sure seems that the majority of posters are expecting one of if not the hardest game of the regular season. This expectation is bizarre in my opinion, given what we know about each team at this point in time. I would agree that the last game of the regular season in Philly is the worst possible scenario to be facing Villanova this season, but it is still a game that we will be and should be favored in.

Reaction Score
Uconn vs Villanova…prime time tv Saturday 7:30 on FOX…games like this is what makes the big east money

Reaction Score
We've been running through teams at home recently (yes, St Johns was a home game). This is a great road test against a team that, at the surface, doesn't seem too great. But they've been clicking since they got their full team back. They've won 6 of their last 7, with the only loss being @ Providence

Dixon absolutely shredded the reigning BE DPOY Kalkbrenner for 31, with a similar playstyle that they will play against us. Bring the C to the perimeter, try to get him out of position, and let Dixon go to work

This is our last road game of the season. The BET will be home guys for as long as we're in it. NCAAT will be neutral and possibly home depending which region we end up in

Let's go ruin senior night for these guys!

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone expects an easy win, but it sure seems that the majority of posters are expecting one of if not the hardest game of the regular season. This expectation is bizarre in my opinion, given what we know about each team at this point in time. I would agree that the last game of the regular season in Philly is the worst possible scenario to be facing Villanova this season, but it is still a game that we will be and should be favored in.
Your opinion is arrogant based on what we know about each team at this point in time and the history of BE teams winning at home in the conference. Ed Cooley was talkin' about you.. Big difference between arrogance and confidence. Respect your opponent.. Bizarre not to do so.

UConn--as good as their season has been.. Has not won vs the top 5 BE teams on their home courts(exception in the top 5- UConn)--Away games for us-yet this season.. X/Prov/Marq/SH/Creighton. .In most of these games UConn was favored to win by Vegas.

This will be a BET level intensity game based on what's on the line for Nova.. We will need our A game to grab a W.. I am confident we will win a closely contested game.. In overtime..

Reaction Score
Yeah, I’ll start w all of these as better wins:
Bama
Iowa St
Creighton
Marquette
Providence

Yeah I know the last 3 were at home. But all are way better teams than Nova, yes even now.
I understand what NET and Kenpom say, but this is why eye test still matters. At this point in the season Villanova, is definitely a stronger win than Iowa St. Again, I understand that goes against the metrics but Iowa St has completely fallen off. Caleb Grill is off the team, they've lost 8 of their last 10 games, and are 7-10 in 2023. Meanwhile Villanova has won 7 of their last 8 and looks like a tank right now. But because Iowa St is in the Big 12 that game matters more? Just seems weird to me. Anyways, you're right in the committee's eyes, but in terms of where we stand in terms of the postseason, this game is a massive check point to see where we stand.

Reaction Score
Your opinion is arrogant based on what we know about each team at this point in time and the history of BE teams winning at home in the conference. Ed Cooley was talkin' about you.. Big difference between arrogance and confidence. Respect your opponent.. Bizarre not to do so.

UConn--as good as their season has been.. Has not won vs the top 5 BE teams on their home courts(exception in the top 5- UConn)--Away games for us-yet this season.. X/Prov/Marq/SH/Creighton. .In most of these games UConn was favored to win by Vegas.

This will be a BET level intensity game based on what's on the line for Nova.. We will need our A game to grab a W.. I am confident we will win a closely contested game.. In overtime..
Why?..we can’t think our team is the best?…this is a Uconn board?…isn’t it?

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score

Just stop. How is it "arrogant" for him to say it's a game we will be favored in, when you yourself turn around and say "I am confident we will win...". We're a 66% favorite to win according to KenPom. Some really weird takes around here, but I guess that's par for the course.

Reaction Score
Just stop. How is it "arrogant" for him to say it's a game we will be favored in, when you yourself turn around and say "I am confident we will win...". We're a 66% favorite to win according to KenPom. Some really weird takes around here, but I guess that's par for the course.
Per poster's comment.. Expectation that the majority of posters think this will be one of hardest games -if not the hardest--is bizarre..in his opinion. My opinion is contrary to that position.. On the Yard.. we express opinions--Amirite? I thought that was a wild take speaking for the majority of posters by a singular poster. But that's his opinion and that's ok. We disagree. Certain posters like to provoke.. As I'm sure you'll see in who "likes" your comments

And the dictionary will tell you there is a difference between arrogance and confidence. Nova is not rolling over for us on Sat. You can take that to the bank. Based on what we know about the two teams.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Kenpom has us favored by about 8.5 I think.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom