Time for the "Small" lineup option | The Boneyard

Time for the "Small" lineup option

Reaction Score
If you watch Caroline's game closely, she boxes out well and I think she can match up as even a power forward defensively. Certainly as a 4 in a one big lineup. Our team can really benefit from the lanes not being clogged and if we can stretch the other team out it should get one of their bigs out of the middle. I like our chances with Paige, Azzi, CW having open look 3's and some back door opportunities. Even Evina, Caroline, Dorka, and Nika can hit 3's at an efficient rate. I think we may not want to do this against a South Carolina as much but against a lot of teams I can see Geno going to this approach 10 minutes a game. It is better at dealing with the press. Better offensively ( I think ) and not as bad as people might think defensively. Caroline is a natural 4.

Reaction Score
If you watch Caroline's game closely, she boxes out well and I think she can match up as even a power forward defensively. Certainly as a 4 in a one big lineup. Our team can really benefit from the lanes not being clogged and if we can stretch the other team out it should get one of their bigs out of the middle. I like our chances with Paige, Azzi, CW having open look 3's and some back door opportunities. Even Evina, Caroline, Dorka, and Nika can hit 3's at an efficient rate. I think we may not want to do this against a South Carolina as much but against a lot of teams I can see Geno going to this approach 10 minutes a game. It is better at dealing with the press. Better offensively ( I think ) and not as bad as people might think defensively. Caroline is a natural 4.
Caroline is at most a TALL wing, eh?

Reaction Score
I think the advantages she offers are worth any deficiencies for 10 minutes a game. Maybe more. We can press more effectively, stretch the floor more effectively, bring one of their bigs away from the paint.

Reaction Score
Respectfully disagree. We'll need to establish a better inside out game in order to beat NC State.

The good news is that we are much bigger than them with Liv and Edward's in the lineup. We should exploit that in my opinion, as the match-ups at almost every position should give them fits.

The not somgood news is that our three bigs would have to really buy into a style of play this team still struggles with, and then have themselves a night.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think our starting lineup has any real fluidity on offense and that is why we start so slowly. I think when AE gets the ball at the foul line, it brings the offense to a halt at times so depending on the opponent I would like a 4 guard offense with Caroline as one of the guards at certain times in the game. It will be a fast, good shooting, difficult to guard team and a good pressing team. We have team speed but have to use it at the right times.

Reaction Score
The adjustment I'd like to see made for the next game is to reinsert Nika as a starter. Paige should come off the bench and would certainly play more minutes than Nika. But Nika just sets such a ferocious tone for defense and pace of play. We saw during the Big East tournament that the team gets off to a much better start with her in there from the beginning.

Reaction Score
The adjustment I'd like to see made for the next game is to reinstate Nika as a starter. Paige should come off the bench and would certainly play more minutes than Nika. But Nika sets such a ferocious tone for defense and pace of play and the team just gets off to a better start with her in there from the beginning.
I agree. The problem I think is that Paige insists on starting.

Reaction Score
Geno does seem to have trouble saying no to her at times.
I don't like to hear that, you make it seem like she's the head coach. I also didn't like when last season Muhl was "jokingly" saying Paige is the head coach.

Reaction Score
It probably is Geno who is making this decision. I liked it when Paige came back in off the bench. Face it, she won't be 100% this year but is still huge value. I think putting Caroline in the starting lineup with Christyn and Nika, paired with Liv and Aaliyah up front, would be awesome starting five. Then after 10 minute the second wave, send in Paige and Azzi and Evina and Dorka.

Reaction Score
What! Where did you get that little nugget? So, you think Geno is allowing a player to determine who starts? I wonder if he has to run substitutions by her as well? They must have some kind of prearranged signal. Perhaps Geno (with a pleading look) holds up a number of fingers to let her know what player he is suggesting to come in and Paige shows her approval/disapproval by dribbling in Morse code. I just can’t believe what I’m reading! Geno decides who starts/plays!

Reaction Score
after yesterday match,i think paige will be a different paige,as a basketball player who also get a knee surgery(ACL), when you return to the court, you will worry your knee may hurt again so you wont go 100%, but yesterday game so physical and paige still going well so i guess paige will be the different paige

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
after yesterday match,i think paige will be a different paige,as a basketball player who also get a knee surgery(ACL), when you return to the court, you will worry your knee may hurt again so you wont go 100%, but yesterday game so physical and paige still going well so i guess paige will be the different paige
:eek:Except Paige didn't have a ACL surgery. ACL surgery and she wouldn't be returning to the court until the start of fall semester.

Reaction Score
:eek:Except Paige didn't have a ACL surgery. ACL surgery and she wouldn't be returning to the court until the start of fall semester.
Yes,that's the reason i said she will be fine next game,she just need to go through is her mind not her knee.After a battle but she still going well so i guess she passed that "mind"way

Reaction Score
I am with anyone that says start Caroline. When Paige got hurt she stepped in and more than proved she belonged on the floor by averaging 18 points a game for 8 games.Also her defense was excellent and she was not rattled at any time. The team needed her then and gave her confidence by feeding her the ball. I am not savvy like many of the posters but I think over the next 3 years she will be another Katie Lou.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The basketball gems that are being dropped in this thread are...well.. incredible mind-numbing.
Recap:
The proposed small ball line up would only be good for 10 minutes per game and useless against South Carolina.
Caroline is a natural 4.
Apparently Paige thinks she should be "insists" on starting.
It is "probably" Geno that determines who starts.
Teams pack the middle against us and this is a problem.
Paige and Azzi should be part of our second wave.

Seth Meyers Omg GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
It probably is Geno who is making this decision. I liked it when Paige came back in off the bench. Face it, she won't be 100% this year but is still huge value. I think putting Caroline in the starting lineup with Christyn and Nika, paired with Liv and Aaliyah up front, would be awesome starting five. Then after 10 minute the second wave, send in Paige and Azzi and Evina and Dorka.
Azzi played more minutes than anyone in the last game. She has to be in there all the time!

Reaction Score
I'm not proclaiming Geno as incompetent. He has played the small lineup some already in the NCAA. I'm not saying go completely small or even go small every game. I'm just saying there are times when it makes sense for this team. We have basically 3 good bigs. We have around 6 good guards/wings. I think the 4 small lineup gives us a bit more speed and ball handling ability. Probably a little bit better press. It spreads the floor better. I don't think I'm missing the mark here. It's an option that we have already seen some and last time I mentioned it the very next game they started using it. Indiana is not that big but they spread the floor well. I think the small lineup may match up better against Indiana. I wouldn't be surprised if we see it for a while. We see a lot of games where we get almost no scoring from the paint. Opposing coaches have literally said they are clogging the middle and forcing us to shoot from outside. I think with Paige, Azzi, CW all shooting well from outside it is probably how we beat some teams in this tournament. Regarding South Carolina, their bigs (Boston, Cardosa, Saxton, Amihere etc...) will just kill you on the boards if we go small very much. And score at will inside.

But I do agree there have been some pretty crazy proposals here. I don't think the small lineup is crazy at all though.

Reaction Score
Is it my imagination or does Coco just love the put down? Can't wait to do it. I'm just an occasional fan but even an amateur can be right sometime. And the supposed experts very wrong.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
He has played the small lineup some already in the NCAA. I'm not saying go completely small or even go small every game. I'm just saying there are times when it makes sense for this team.
Soooo basically, you're saying Geno is already doing what you're proposing he should do. Soooo what's the point of this thread?

Reaction Score
Teams pack the middle against us. It's still happening a lot. We need to fix that problem.

Until UConn consistently hits the 3, they will continue to pack the paint.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom