Time for the freshman to show up in the box score. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Time for the freshman to show up in the box score.

Reaction Score
This board is turning on our future stars pretty quickly.

Players get better over time, and player development is where the best coaches separate from the pack. We will see what Hurley can do.

Apparently "this board" means one guy with less than 600 posts . . .

Bouknight isn't the first freshman to have his confidence shaken by a couple of bad games. You're correct that his development (and Akok's, presuming he doesn't do anything dumb and leave) going into is a key indicator of the program's direction under Hurley.

Akok seemed to be in a funk for a few games as well but looks like he's coming out of it. It would be nice to have Akok and Bouknight both play well in the same game. I can't recall the last time that happened.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The question is simply this: What about Gaffney's game suggests that he is a true point, except that Bouknight is slated for the off guard spot and is a few inches taller than Gaffney? Gaffney looks like a two guard to me.
I think he would flourish as a two.

Well he has a pretty solid assist to turnover ratio for a freshman backup PG, and that's with teammates who often miss clean looks. Per 40 minutes he's at 4.3 assists and 2.6 TO. Vital for example is 3.5 and 3.3. Adams is awful at 1.8 and 2.7. Gilbert is 6.5 and 3.6.

His shooting percentage is not good, but without looking it up I think it has improved from early in the year. He's shown he can get to the rim at times. I think he's a PG and on a team that had better shooters and off the ball movement we'd see it more clearly.

Reactions: pj

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
To me, a point guard has to be able to beat his man off the dribble and get into the lane to create his own shot or pass to the open man. Gaffney has shown none of that. Guys like Boat, Bazz, and Kemba seem to have been born with that ability. Gaffney reminds me of Gibbs, a player who played great after he stopped trying to run the team. Gaffney really needs to work on his handle to become a true point. I just don't think his natural abilities are suited for point.

Disagree. That's a scoring point guard. I think Gaffney will be more like Marcus Williams (but not quite that good). He has the size and some court vision, makes accurate passes and takes care of the ball. Maybe Tate George is a good comparison. I think he'll improve his dribble, but a point guard doesn't need a be a score first option. Taliek wasn't either. If you run good offense you don't need that ability to beat your man off the dribble, you get open shots with ball movement and off the ball movement.

Reaction Score
I think Gaffney will be more like Marcus Williams (but not quite that good). He has the size and some court vision, makes accurate passes and takes care of the ball.

What? This is based on something you've seen on the court?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
What? This is based on something you've seen on the court?

He isn’t as good as Marcus. It was more about being a pass first PG. He doesnt have Marcus Williams‘ passing ability but then neither did any other PG we’ve had. But he’s got close to a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio and I think that would be higher if we didn’t miss open looks at such a high clip. He’s a freshman who was hurt and missed time. His freshman per 40 minute numbers on offense are as good as Ollie’s were, with a much better A:TO ratio. His steal rate is terrible, his D must get better.

I think he’s going be a solid, steady PG for us who can shoot a little, get to the basket and manage the offense. I don’t necessarily want a volume shooter at that spot, although Cole might be.

Reaction Score
Bouk is due for a big game and soon. He's got the talent and the skill. Just needs to be sharper mentally and he's going to go off. I'm not a coach but I don't think Akok is being used properly on offense. Right now he 3rd on the team in minutes but sixth in fg attempts. BA who plays almost 10 mpg less than AA has put up about the same amount of shots. Akok is our most consistent scorer percentage wise from inside the arc so we need to get him touches there. Gaffney is going to benefit from a full offseason of s&c. He's not blazing fast but a decent size for a guard. He needs to get a lot stronger. Again I think the talent is there he just doesn't seem confident with running a team.

Reaction Score
When Akok is on the court do we try and run anything for him? It looks like we don't and he spends way too much time away from the low block setting pointless screens for our masterful weave offense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom