Time For Geno To Give DT A Quick Call | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Time For Geno To Give DT A Quick Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Katie Smith is far from an angel on the basketball court. Most of the really good defensive players at the WNBA are very physical and borderline dirty (holding, pushing, etc.). Did DT go over board last night? IMO yes and there was no need for the endless f...k you she was seen saying. BUT, one thing about DT in any game is that it's great theater/show as her emotions are truly on her sleeve. In a way, you need to accept her as an amazing player (IMO the best ever) who is fueled by her emotions on the court.

Agreed. Part of what makes Diana a great player is her ability to channel her emotions. She uses them to fuel her performances. They give her power, in a sense. You do not want to take that away from her.

Sure, we could use a few less f-bombs. But it is her irreverence that I find appealing, as much as her on court play. She is not the pre-packaged WNBA star that the league likes to force upon fans and potential fans. She does not give candied responses that say nothing. She is engaging and funny, and that is why she commands the respect of others, especially outside the women's game. She is a big personality on Phoenix radio, bantering with Cardinals and Suns players. When Darnell Dockett (Cardinals DE) said he could beat her one-on-one, she referred to him by his nickname (Double D) and said that his "double Ds" would prevent him from keeping up with her. This caused raucous laughter amongst the sports radio announcer who were interviewing her.

In many ways, she is a "guys' chick," a female sports figure that can banter with the guys but who male athletes and male announcers respect. This puts her in a category with athletes like Serena Williams, Mia Hamm, etc.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I agree that I would like to see her change her behavior. However, I think other teams have made it clear that the way they are going to play her is to be overly physical with her. Seattle in particular made this very clear in my opinion by the way they played the series. I think the officiating has gotten worse over the past few years to where the game is not as enjoyable to watch. The officials are not consistent across the board. Watched the pheonix game and then the Min. series and unbelievable diference in what is allowed.

If you watched the game it was easy for me to see that D was retaliating to getting elbowed by Katie a few plays before which wasn't called. I still don't like it but I think she is making a statement.

Her teammate wasn't holding her mouth closed she hit her in the mouth and was apologizing. Watch the video.

It reminds of how Detroit would try to bully teams and officials. D needs to change her behavior but come on officials get a grip on the game.

I'm not going to say anything more about Diana's behavior the other night. My position on that is clear. But I do want to say a few things about the officiating and physical play.

I don't know what more the officials could have done to "get a grip" on that game. When officials are concerned that physical play may get out of hand they usually will call the game close from the start so that the players understand what will and will not be tolerated and can adjust. Seems to me the officials did that the other night and the players failed to adjust. The results were 47 fouls and 3 players fouling out. It was ridiculous, particularly on Seattle's part. Several players lost control of their emotions and continued to commit stupid fouls. That's on them, not the officials.

Seattle is a more physical team than Phoenix largely because of style of play and personnel. I don't think anyone who has followed the WNBA is under any illusions about Katie Smith or Lauren Jackson or Diana. They all give as good as they get and that's been the case for years. If part of Seattle's strategy was to be physical with Diana, it was also part of Phoenix's strategy to be physical with Bird (Gaines said he wanted Sue to have to "adjust her ponytail" after every play). Physical play has always been part of basketball and I certainly don't object to it. There's a difference, however, between playing tough physical defense and intentionally committing a hard foul.

I honestly don't know if the officiating is as bad as many say it is. I know the officials get calls wrong, but that's true in every sport. Are there more bad calls in the WNBA? I honestly don't know. But I do know that the officiating is getting too much attention. Players complain incessantly during games and after games. The same is true with coaches. I believe Lin Dunn questioned the officiating during an in-game interview Monday night. This stuff is distracting and I think the league needs to figure out a way to clamp down on it. Part of the solution needs to include a good hard look at the quality of the officiating and part of it needs to include a tough stance on players' reactions to officials' calls. If that means more technical fouls, then so be it. I hope the new president will address these issues in the off-season.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Are there more bad calls in the WNBA? I honestly don't know. But I do know that the officiating is getting too much attention. Players complain incessantly during games and after games. The same is true with coaches. I believe Lin Dunn questioned the officiating during an in-game interview Monday night. This stuff is distracting and I think the league needs to figure out a way to clamp down on it. Part of the solution needs to include a good hard look at the quality of the officiating and part of it needs to include a tough stance on players' reactions to officials' calls. If that means more technical fouls, than so be it. I hope the new president will address these issues in the off-season.

WNBA officials, if they are any good, get promoted to the men's game. The officiating for WNBA games is like minor league baseball in that respect. So there are a lot of missed calls, a lot of excessively-officiated games, and a general lack of consistency from game to game, or even within a particular game (or even in a particular quarter of a game).

The players have improved and the quality of play has improved (though it still could be better, especially around the basket). The officiating has not kept pace with the improvement in the quality play; in other words, there has not been an equivalent in improvement in the officiating.

Reaction Score
It seems to me that the game is getting more and more physical. Yes, the athletes are becoming more athletic and stronger. However, I don't think allowing that type of play is good for the women's game. Take for instance the moving screen. It has become a joke and almost every screen has become a moving screen. Why, because the officials aren't calling the foul. If they did consistently call the foul the players wouldn't continue to set illegal screens.

You can blame the players if you want but in my opinion it starts with the officials. Why do you think Dupree (who I've almost never seen lose her cool) got a technical foul. The officials have let things get way out of control.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It seems to me that the game is getting more and more physical. Yes, the athletes are becoming more athletic and stronger. However, I don't think allowing that type of play is good for the women's game. Take for instance the moving screen. It has become a joke and almost every screen has become a moving screen. Why, because the officials aren't calling the foul. If they did consistently call the foul the players wouldn't continue to set illegal screens.

You can blame the players if you want but in my opinion it starts with the officials. Why do you think Dupree (who I've almost never seen lose her cool) got a technical foul. The officials have let things get way out of control.
It is one of the reasons I don't watch the WNBA/NBA. I have no interest in such play.

Reaction Score
WNBA officials, if they are any good, get promoted to the men's game. The officiating for WNBA games is like minor league baseball in that respect. So there are a lot of missed calls, a lot of excessively-officiated games, and a general lack of consistency from game to game, or even within a particular game (or even in a particular quarter of a game).

The players have improved and the quality of play has improved (though it still could be better, especially around the basket). The officiating has not kept pace with the improvement in the quality play; in other words, there has not been an equivalent in improvement in the officiating.

My two cents:

1) The WNBA can't pay the PLAYERS (the actual stars of the game) enough that they have to go oversees to make money...I'm sure the refs are not paid anywhere NEAR what NBA officials get.

2) Diana spent four years at UConn, getting mugged nearly every time down the court, especially the last two years. She was able to show her emotions without the theatrics which have marked her game lately. I suspect Geno kept a leash on her, something her WNBA coach (whose name escapes me at the moment) obviously doesn't do. In deed, he either looks the other way, or may actually encourage her behavior, either tacitly or directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom